Linksys WUSB600N problem

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Linksys WUSB600N problem

Post by Husse »

No errors, well it seems that the link is OK and the problem is higher up
I'm leaving safe ground here - I know a bit but this is getting hard to diagnose - I really don't know what to say
Thank you for your patience
bbear

Post by bbear »

Husse,
thanks for your help. What do you suggest is the best way to get further help with this? Is there any way to get the attention of the Mint developers?

Another piece of evidence, I just discovered ..

I installed the Linksys Windows XP driver for the WUSB600N V2 on my kids Windows XP home box. I plugged in the WUSB600N (the same one as I have been using with my Linux Mint box). I am able to connect to the ssid corresponding to the 5Ghz band, the connection is poor (low, only two bars), Windows reports it is connected at 50.4Mbps.

I am able to use iTunes to play the AAC file which is on my Windows XP box (the one which was the samba share which I connected my Linux box to before). The AAC file plays perfectly, I played it a number of times and there were no audio glitches.

What I am not sure of is if the XP box appears as a samba share, like it did to my Linux box or whether two networked Windows computers share data some other way. If it still uses samba, then this experiment probably rules out samba as a source of the problem. Probably also rules interference by firewalls on my PCs

Also, since it plays perfectly well (even with a very los signal strength) then maybe that also rules out the WUSB600N and the Dlink router?

If so, this is pointing to Linux Mint installation or the ralink drivers
Husse

Post by Husse »

Is there any way to get the attention of the Mint developers?
There is, once you've got my attention
But this is on a kernel and/or kernel module level and we don't do anything there normally - we would have to maintain our own kernel and that's not easy - the Ubuntu kernel is somewhat tweaked compared to the "vanilla" kernel and that takes some effort
However to include a good kernel driver for something is not impossible
I'll give this some more thoughts and come back to you
bbear

Post by bbear »

Husse,
I have just installed Mint8 on my machine, I installed it alongside my existing Mint7 installation. It took a bit of time to get any sound from my box - when will Pulseaudio work out of the box??
Anyway, I have it up and running and my WUSB600N V2 is connecting at 270mbps once again.
Unfortunately I am still experiencing the same audio glitches when streaming the AAC files, and once again these glitches line up with TCP Retransmission events, reported by Wireshark.
Husse

Post by Husse »

You are on my watch list - unfortunately this is hard to understand
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is hard - I have studied this extensively but I don't find anything even close to a solution
I don't think Windows uses Samba, but it uses SMB which Samba is a free implementation of
Samba may be the culprit, but also the linux wifi driver even if I find that less likely
The only thing I have found is the size of MTU (here)
You can set the MTU size by right clicking the NM applet and then Edit Connections
bbear

Post by bbear »

Husse,
thanks for your hard work in doing the research, I will try adjusting the MTU.

Whilst doing some research myself I found that there were a number of parameters you can adjust using something called 'sysctrl', I don't know much about this other than it looks quite complex. I like your suggestion better :)

Also, during my research I came across many papers written about the particular challenges wireless networks pose to TCP. The Retransmission thing appears to be a major concern due to the time it can take to recover (2 to 3 secs). The causes as you suggested earlier are problems in the transmission due to noise, etc, etc. However one cause that was listed was the ACK turn around time. Since my router and my Linksys WUSB600N V2 are eight feet apart and I have no sources of noise (to my knowledge) am leaning toward the problem being the time it takes for the ACK to be sent back (from my Windows box), the time it take to propagate through the TCP stack, USB stack, etc or a faulty ralink driver itself.

I have read that there is a free tool called iperf which can be installed on the windows and the Linux box and will monitor the performance between the two machines, you set one up as client and the other as server. I thought about doing this experiment but I think that all it wil confirm is that I have a slow link. I can't help be think that there is more information to be gleaned from the Wireshark results. Perhaps I should be running Wireshark on my Windows box at the same time and compare the two sets of time stamps between the two machines.

What really puzzles me is why am I the only one reporting this problem? Is no one out there using wireless-n to stream AAC audio from a Windows box?

Anyway, I will give the MTU setting a try and get back to you.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Is no one out there using wireless-n to stream AAC audio from a Windows box?
Who knows? :) I think it's not many doing it, the -n is pretty new, in fact the standard was set definitely late last year
This means that existing -n units have been working with a draft -n and this makes it harder for different brands to coexist
Not only that different systems do not have the same "sensitivity" for the problems herein
bbear

Re: Linksys WUSB600N problem - kernel bug?

Post by bbear »

Husse,
it has been a while since I updated this thread but I have still been working on this problem and have not gotten anywhere until perhaps tonight ..

At the suggestion of someone who helped my on the Boxee forum who suggested checking the Boxee logs, I decided to also check the system logs and spotted some interesting things in the messages file which had a 1:1 correspondence with the 2sec dropouts/TCP Retranmissions which my system has been suffering from. I don't know how I missed this before :oops:

Every time these TCP Retransmission events occur, in the messages file I see the following (one per drop-out event):

Feb 23 20:36:32 linux-mint1 kernel: [ 498.769877] ===>rt_ioctl_giwscan. 4(4) BSS returned, data->length = 497
Feb 23 20:37:52 linux-mint1 kernel: [ 578.768124] ===>rt_ioctl_giwscan. 5(5) BSS returned, data->length = 599
Feb 23 20:39:32 linux-mint1 kernel: [ 678.770048] ===>rt_ioctl_giwscan. 5(5) BSS returned, data->length = 596
Feb 23 20:43:32 linux-mint1 kernel: [ 918.767131] ===>rt_ioctl_giwscan. 3(3) BSS returned, data->length = 393
Feb 23 20:45:32 linux-mint1 kernel: [ 1038.768095] ===>rt_ioctl_giwscan. 5(5) BSS returned, data->length = 599

Does this point to a problem with the kernel?

I did a search on this site and found lots of kernel bugs mentioned in the same sentence as giwscan was mentioned,

Do you think I am onto something here.

<EDIT> Take a look at this link, this definitely sounds like a kernel bug and others are reporting the same issues with dropouts with their wireless link because of it:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/356807
Husse

Post by Husse »

I have to read this again - I read the bug reports and it looks indeed as some driver/kernel problem
bbear

Post by bbear »

Husse wrote:I have to read this again - I read the bug reports and it looks indeed as some driver/kernel problem
Husse,
I was wondering if you have you had a chance to read that launchpad bug and draw any conclusions. That launchpad bug report is against Ubuntu and I am using Mint, but correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Mint based/built off Ubuntu? In this situation is it the Mint developers I should be asking for help here?

If it is a fundamental Linux kernel bug then how should I go about getting the 'Linux communities' attention and get someone interested in fixing this?

I did try pinging Ralink support directly but they never got back to me, which is not surprising as they do only offer their Linux drivers as 'use at your own risk' and therefore I shouldn't expect any support. I read on the internet how Ralink 'work closely with the Linux community', so how do I get Ralink and 'the linux community' to work together on this particular problem? From what I read, a number of people are affected and it is those using adapters with a range of different Ralink chipsets. The common thread is that it is those trying to run streaming media apps across local networks are hitting problems.

BTW, an interesting symptom I noticed the other night is that I see those periodic rt_ioctl_giwscan messages in the logs, even if my system sits there doing nothing. These periodic scans which I have read that the Ralink chipset perfoms is happening regardless of whether it is being asked to transfer any data across my local network. If I then attempt to stream media (AAC being the worst for some reason) then these rt_ioctl_giwscan coincide with the drop outs.

If you have any suggestions as to where I can go from here, please let me know.

thanks for your help.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'm not much the wiser now
I think it's clear that it is a driver and/or kernel problem, not really an Ubuntu problem
I don't recall if I asked you this before (does not seem so) but please run lsusb -v and post the section for the WUSB600N
Also run lsmod to see what is loaded (and tell us)
We can't do much here, to maintain our own kernel and drivers would be overwhelming
I use a bcm4312 which works perfectly, even at some distance from the AP so there is hope
bbear

Post by bbear »

Husse,

I too was usng Wireless-G at one point.

before I 'upgraded' to the Linksys WUSB600N V2, I was using a Dlink DWL-G122 C1 USB wireless-G adapter, this also worked well but was not fast enough for streaming HD video. I could try going back to it to see it it can stream AAC audio without the glitches but ultimately I need to get my Wireless-n adapter as I need the faster transfer rates that it should provide.

Here are the reports which you asked for, let me know if there is anything else I can provide or tests which I can carry out to help,

From doing lsusb -v ..

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1737:0079 Linksys
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x1737 Linksys
idProduct 0x0079
bcdDevice 1.01
iManufacturer 1 Linksys
iProduct 2
iSerial 3
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 67
bNumInterfaces 1
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0
bmAttributes 0x80
(Bus Powered)
MaxPower 450mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 7
bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
bInterfaceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass
bInterfaceProtocol 255 Vendor Specific Protocol
iInterface 5
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x01 EP 1 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x02 EP 2 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x03 EP 3 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x04 EP 4 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x05 EP 5 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x06 EP 6 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
bInterval 0
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
bLength 10
bDescriptorType 6
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
bNumConfigurations 1
Device Status: 0x0000
(Bus Powered)

From doing lsmod ..

Module Size Used by
joydev 18368 0
hidp 22272 1
binfmt_misc 16776 1
bridge 56340 0
stp 10500 1 bridge
bnep 20224 2
video 25360 0
output 11008 1 video
input_polldev 11912 0
rt3572sta 619500 1
lp 17156 0
tuner_simple 22544 1
tuner_types 22400 1 tuner_simple
lgdt330x 16388 1
nxt200x 21508 0
mt352 14468 0
snd_hda_intel 435636 1
snd_pcm_oss 46336 0
snd_mixer_oss 22656 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 82948 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_dummy 10756 0
snd_seq_oss 37760 0
stv0299 17928 0
snd_seq_midi 14336 0
snd_rawmidi 29696 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event 15104 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 56880 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
b2c2_flexcop_pci 14104 0
b2c2_flexcop 34956 1 b2c2_flexcop_pci
snd_timer 29704 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 14988 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
dvb_core 92032 3 lgdt330x,stv0299,b2c2_flexcop
cx24123 22024 1 b2c2_flexcop
lirc_streamzap 20996 0
ppdev 15620 0
s5h1420 19588 1 b2c2_flexcop
snd 62628 11 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore 15200 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 16904 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
pcspkr 10496 0
k8temp 12416 0
lirc_dev 19892 1 lirc_streamzap
usbhid 42336 0
ndiswrapper 193436 0
nvidia 7233756 26
parport_pc 40100 1
parport 42220 3 lp,ppdev,parport_pc
i2c_nforce2 14980 0
agpgart 42696 1 nvidia
btusb 19608 3
forcedeth 61712 0
e1000 130500 0
ohci1394 38576 0
ieee1394 94660 1 ohci1394
floppy 64324 0
fbcon 46112 0
tileblit 10752 1 fbcon
font 16384 1 fbcon
bitblit 13824 1 fbcon
softcursor 9984 1 bitblit
Husse

Post by Husse »

From lsmod I see that both
rt3572sta
and
ndiswrapper are loaded - that's no good
Searching for rt3572sta brought up this post
That might be a never driver and/or that line in the config file helps
Not sure if you've seen the solution before and the post is only three days old
The file can be called a_date_RT3572_LinuxSTA_V[some_version] not necessarily exactly as in the post
bbear

Post by bbear »

Husse,
thanks for the research and pointing me to that post, unfortunately that is just the same old (but valid/good) information that everyone is using to get the rt3572 *working*. The problem is what is the definition of working???
I don't loose my connection permanently, but it is for long enough to cause issues when streaming audio, so by my standards it is not working.

Do you know what is the best way to stop ndiswrapper from getting loaded. This running is probably as a result of an earlier experiment many moths ago where I was trying to use the Windows version of the Ralink driver.

For my Mint 8 installation I can't recall ever using ndiswrapper but I will check if it is loaded when I boot from that kernel. (I see/hear the same problems when I run Mint8 with the rt3572/Linksys adapter)
Husse

Post by Husse »

I doubt I get much further, and I know you are not alone with these small, but annoying, interrupts

Code: Select all

echo "blacklist ndiswrapper" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
bbear

Post by bbear »

Husse,
I blacklisted ndiswrapper but unfortunately it didn't help :(

Since you already said it would be almost impossible for the Mint developers to maintain drivers and the kernel, where should I go to next for help?

Do you think I should now be directing my questions to the Ubuntu developers?

If it would make them take notice, I would be willing to install Ubuntu. I much perfect the experience of using Mint though, apart from these wireless-n issues, Mint has been everything I need from Linux. Without a rock solid network connection though I just cannot use my system at the moment.
bbear

Re: Linksys WUSB600N problem - SOLUTION?

Post by bbear »

EDIT:
I think I am onto something here ..

Armed with the knowledge that this is wpa supplicant related I did a search of the Ubuntu forums and found really interesting thread ..

http://ubuntuforums.org/printthread.php?t=1309517

The network interruption seems to be related to using gnome-network-manager according to the poster. The solution ..
Re: Syslog: wpa_supplicant every 2 minutes

Ok so I "fixed" the problem by switching from network manager to wicd, it's very easy:

sudo apt-get install wicd

The GUI wil be in the programs menu, by adding wicd-client to your startup list you get the tray-icon.
I am going to give it a try today. I can't believe that after so many months of struggling to fix this, it could come down to such a simple solution. Fingers crossed ..

Husse,
so as to try to get some help from the Ubuntu community I decided to do a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit. I installed it on a spare hard drive so that I can easily switch back to Mint when these wireless issues are resolved.

The good news is that Ubuntu 9.10 exhibits exactly the same problems, I see the same rt_ioctl_giwscan messages and the corresponding audio dropout when streaming AAC files using Boxee.

I decided to poke around some of the other log files and stumbled across the following in the system log ..

Mar 7 13:11:54 ubuntu910-desktop wpa_supplicant[1112]: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
Mar 7 13:11:54 ubuntu910-desktop kernel: [ 472.876403] ===>rt_ioctl_giwscan. 6(6) BSS returned, data->length = 775
Mar 7 13:13:59 ubuntu910-desktop kernel: [ 597.905508] b9a, flush one!
Mar 7 13:14:00 ubuntu910-desktop wpa_supplicant[1112]: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
Mar 7 13:14:00 ubuntu910-desktop kernel: [ 598.884108] ===>rt_ioctl_giwscan. 7(7) BSS returned, data->length = 877

The rt_ioctl_giwscan are the usual messages I saw before but what is interesting is the 'WPA_SUPPLICANT' messages.

I know that WPA Supplicant is something you have to enable in the make file as part of the install process for the Ralink driver but I am wondering if there is a problem with this part of their driver? Also, I wonder if it is possible to run the driver with the WPA Supplicant disabled?

This is from config.mk ..

# Support Wpa_Supplicant
# Original => HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=n
# NEW:
HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y

Do you happen to know what 'WPA Supplicant' is for?

Note that I am using WPA2 for the encrpytion.

thanks
bbear

Re: Linksys WUSB600N problem - SOLVED

Post by bbear »

Husse,

installing wicd (which replaces gnome-network-manager) appears to have solved all my Wireless-n network connectivity problems !!!

I no longer experience the 1 to 2sec interruptions in my network connection.

Finally I can listen to my AAC songs all the way through without them glitching :D

I still see the rt_ioctrl_giwscan messages in the messages file, but they no longer appear to be causing my network connection to drop.

Thanks so much for your help. By sticking with me and offering up suggestions and pointers to other sites/discussions, I carried on looking where otherwise I may have given up. Ultimately your support led me to solving this problem which has had me going for months.

I am really grateful that you stuck with me on this.
DiSTuRBeD

Post by DiSTuRBeD »

This solution seems simple, but really works... Finally after so many months someone has found a solution. Thanks !!!

Return to “Networking”