Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mandalay
Level 1
Level 1

help with zyxel wireless adapter driver

Post by mandalay » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:13 am

Hello,

I am very new to linux. Just started downloading different distros and having same problem with connecting to the internet.

I really dont know command line stuff either, just used to windows mainly.
I tried ubuntu, kubuntu, mandrake, mepis, sabayon and now linux mint.

I so far seem to like this flavor and the name too. I have the Bea release.

I have a zyxel G-202 wireless usb adapter but I dont know how to load the driver. I just have a windows driver CD for it.

Can someone walk me through steps to get it working? I dont even know what dapper, edgy, wiki, and all this stuff is about yet either. I do like KDE desktop when I was messing with Sabayon linux. I have a lot to learn and so far want to stick with Linux Mint.

AlsaPhil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AlsaPhil » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:56 am

Hi,

You could begin at first with studying in depth the U/Kubuntu OS, here: https://help.ubuntu.com.
You will receive a lot of informations about install, material, process etc.
But please don't get ahead of schedule... Do study step by step. The way is sometimes longer, but the result is a reward :D
Regarding your connection, what says the manufacturer? On the ZyXel website, drivers seem only to exist for MS...

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:47 am

Did you check mintWifi ?

Have a look in your home folder. There's a Documents folder which contains a link to mintWifi. If you deleted it, you'll find it there : /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintWifi/index.html

mintWifi guides you through the installation of your Wireless card.

Clem

mandalay
Level 1
Level 1

wireless usb adapter

Post by mandalay » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:30 am

Thanks for your responses. since I am so new to linux I dont know what

/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintWifi/index.html means... do I type that in a terminal command line?

I will continue to read more. I know the zyxel manufacturer does not make a linux driver for my wireless card. I hope that would not be a problem since I would like to use this distrobution.

I will do some more reasearch on the link clem provided.

Thank you

mandalay
Level 1
Level 1

wireless usb adapter

Post by mandalay » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:40 am

Now that I think about it. I think I did go through some wizard for the wifi setup but it came to a conclusion of not detecting it.

In the hardware area it does show zyxel, so it seems to know what it is but I guess its the driver that it does not have.

I will check out the link frenchy gave me too. I also like the KDE desktop, is that something that I can download and install extra??

I will log off my windows os and now go to mint and see what I can do.

Thanks again.

mandalay
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mandalay » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:35 am

Well the zyxel I could not get it to work even with the command line suggestions. It kept saying it was asleep.

I plugged my old railink adapter in and loaded windows driver and it works.

Guess I will continue to use the old one for now until i somehow find a way to get the zyxel adapter working.

Thanks a bunch

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:02 pm

Hi Mandalay,

It's not a link, it's a path... a location on your filesystem...

Clem

jullejuntunen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jullejuntunen » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:50 pm

Hi Mandalay,

Not sure if you still have this problem, but just to let you
(or anyone else struggling with the same problem) know:

I got Zyxel G-202 working on my fedora6/2.6.19 -box. Apparently
there's two ways to do this, as explained behind these links
http://zd1211.ath.cx/
and
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/medi ... stallation

I struggled quite a bit with the former one first, i.e. modifying and compiling zd1211rw driver to support g-202,. This was supposed to be easy task, because it already supports other similar zyxel products. However, everything wen't fine up to point when the g-202 was supposed to get associated with my wireless access point and get IP address via DHCP: I just couldn't get this working at all.

The, by accident I found the ndiswrapper (behind that latter link) that can be used to utilize the original windows driver from zyxel. And this finally did the trick.

For installation, just follow those steps described behind the link. I guess it should be as straightforward for Ubuntu as it was for Fedora.

-julle

Return to “Wireless”