Page 1 of 1

Belkin F5D7050 Problems

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:07 am
by Tiptup300
First off, I love mintWifi, very usefull! But, it needs more drivers. I've been trying to get my one ^^ USB adpater installed but I just cant find the drivers for it. Please help!!!!! The site has an exe file which doesnt help me find the inf files

Re: Belkin F5D7050 Problems

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:37 am
by scorp123
Tiptup300 wrote:First off, I love mintWifi, very usefull! But, it needs more drivers. I've been trying to get my one ^^ USB adpater installed but I just cant find the drivers for it. Please help!!!!! The site has an exe file which doesnt help me find the inf files
I've found a thread here where some guys discuss the same problem. Take a look:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... p?t=409778

And here a blogger who got his Belkin to work:
http://kerneltrap.org/node/7375

And our Gentoo brethren have an article in their Wiki:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Belkin_F5D7050 ... maybe you could try and follow their steps?

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:05 pm
by Tiptup300
Its detecting it and all that, I just cant get the drivers anywhere

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:14 pm
by scorp123
Tiptup300 wrote:Its detecting it and all that, I just cant get the drivers anywhere
Did you follow the steps from the Gentoo wiki? There but also in other locations I have seen so far, you're apparently supposed to manually extract the needed *.inf files from a *.cab type archive. And apparently some folks don't use the card's original Windows driver but rather one from the chipset maker ... at least that's how I understood the text. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:39 pm
by Tiptup300
Yeah, I figured it out eventually, now I just need a way of transfering the files :(

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:41 pm
by scorp123
Tiptup300 wrote:Yeah, I figured it out eventually, now I just need a way of transfering the files :(
Transfer files? Sorry, I don't understand. Do you have the files on a second PC different from where LinuxMint is installed?

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:39 pm
by Tiptup300
Ok, I'm getting the drivers from the internet to get another computer to beable to connect to the net, figure it out

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:10 pm
by scorp123
Tiptup300 wrote:Ok, I'm getting the drivers from the internet to get another computer to beable to connect to the net, figure it out
Well ... put it onto a USB stick, burn it onto CD, or transfer the stuff over the wired network. There are plenty of ways to do this I guess?

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:53 am
by clem
Hi,

cabextract, unzip and unshield were included in mintWifi just for that precise purpose: extract inf files from exe or cab files.

When you find your driver and have it working, don't forget to come back to us with your PCI ID and a link to the driver, we'll add it to the next version of mintWifi.

Clem

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:32 pm
by Tiptup300
Clem, little late, I just dont have any means of transfer, I dont have any usb sticks, and floppys for some reason arent working.

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:09 pm
by clem
What about a CD or a CDRW?

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:25 pm
by Tiptup300
wasting a perfectly good cd just to get internet workin on my mom's computer, yeah right!

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:35 am
by scorp123
Tiptup300 wrote:wasting a perfectly good cd just to get internet workin on my mom's computer, yeah right!
I use one of those: http://www.swissbit.ch/index.php?id=124&L=1

Not exactly "cheap" but absolutely worth the money. This USB disk is about the size of a Zippo lighter, and it offers 8 GB of space. Perfect for carrying big chunks of data between two computers if you can't or don't want to transfer this stuff over the network. If the BIOS of your PC supports it you can even boot off this little thing - perfect for some Linux distro testing or rescue operations :D

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:20 pm
by Tiptup300
8gigs, I cant even get myself to spend money on a new gfx card! I try to save but always fail in the end since I spend it.