Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jitukumar1987
Level 1
Level 1

usb modam

Post by jitukumar1987 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:09 pm

i have zte zxdsl831all usb modem for using internet .it is working properly in windows xp but not same work in linux mint plz tell me how to connect my usb modem in linux mint ??????
email- jitukumar1987@hotmail.com or jeetukumar1987@gmail.com

lauren
Level 5
Level 5

Re: usb modam

Post by lauren » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:21 pm

Hi jitukomar1987!
My experiences after several years with USB modems: Huawei modems connect without problem in most Linux distributions; ZTE often causes troubles. Okay, for further help we should know your distribution; please post the output of Terminal:

Code: Select all

lsb_release-rd
and

uname -a
and your desktop: Gnome, KDE, or...? If you don't know: Terminal / Help / About.
If your modem is recognized, you see it by typing

lsusb
Please report.
lauren
lauren
Notebook: BIOS Linux multiboot
Netbook: EFI Linux multiboot

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:43 pm

I am not familiar with your particular USB Modem but this is what has worked for me.

The problem with many of the USB Modems is that they, also, have a micro-memory-card for additional storage.
The Operating System doesn't know if you want to use the USB device as a 'modem' or a storage device.
The Linux application "usb_modeswitch" tells the computer what to do with the USB.

The "usb_modeswitch" application is in the Mint/Ubuntu repositories and accessible by the Synaptic Package Manager foe easy installation.

Here is the link to the main "usb_modeswitch" site, they have everything you might want to know about USB Modems
http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/

You might also, checkout the Ubuntu Forums, they have a huge section of topics on this issue.
http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=73354644

What works in Ubuntu ... usually works in Mint. As long as, you use the corresponding distro versions.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I use 3 different USB Modems (in the US), and I have found that once installing the "usb_modeswitch" application from the Synaptic Manager
the Mint operating system, installed it and whatever other dependancies needed automatically. I did nothing else. All my USB 3G Modems work.
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

ZTE modem

Post by pdc_2 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:17 pm

vrkalak has pointed you to usb_modeswitch; this will likely help;

Josh who oversees the programme would recommend you go here

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywo ... modeswitch

and download a debian package, so all you need should be there; if you use a 32bit Mint, use the i386 version;

when you click on that package, your system will say: do you want to open with GDebi package installer? Say yes, and that should automate the install of the programme;

_____--

when you say "it didn't work"; can you tell us what you did; to make it work ............................

by the way, before you download usb_modeswitch;

if the modem gives an icon on your desktop; RIGHT-CLICK on it; select EJECT;

then the modem should show up in network manager: two TV screens at bottom right;

any joy?

pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

usb modam: ZTE modem

Post by pdc_2 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:36 am

I have just plugged a ZTE MF636 modem into a brand-new 32bit Mint 10 gnome system;

give it a minute; be patient; maybe make yourself a quick coffee;

then LEFT-CLICK on network manager; bottom-right; (used to be 2 TVs and is now an electric symbol);

It says: CONFIGURE new GSM system (or somesuch phrase);

so one LEFT-CLICKS that; you need to know what country you are in; and the network you want to connect to;

as soon as you accept all that, the system auto-dials for you straightaway;

I think that's pretty good;

I find it fascinating that quite a number of people ask for help with modems, and they never appear on the forums again; captured by aliens or whatever

sjonesy
Level 3
Level 3

Re: usb modam: ZTE modem

Post by sjonesy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:30 pm

pdc_2 wrote:I have just plugged a ZTE MF636 modem into a brand-new 32bit Mint 10 gnome system;

give it a minute; be patient; maybe make yourself a quick coffee;

then LEFT-CLICK on network manager; bottom-right; (used to be 2 TVs and is now an electric symbol);

It says: CONFIGURE new GSM system (or somesuch phrase);

so one LEFT-CLICKS that; you need to know what country you are in; and the network you want to connect to;

as soon as you accept all that, the system auto-dials for you straightaway;

I think that's pretty good;

I find it fascinating that quite a number of people ask for help with modems, and they never appear on the forums again; captured by aliens or whatever
Obviously a result of the 'I want it fixed now' mentality, lol. I dont often have issues that are unresolvable by a little research, but when it does happen I like to report back on what I did.

pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

usb modems and other things

Post by pdc_2 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:26 pm

I dont often have issues that are unresolvable by a little research, but when it does happen I like to report back on what I did.
thanks very much; you would be a valued contributor;

I suspect we need some simple YouTube clips on how to do basic things; like get a modem working; (saves typing it out a million times!)

jitukumar1987
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jitukumar1987 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:33 am

my zte modem is not recognised plz give me more advise ...

Elisa
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Elisa » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:05 am

Try follow those steps, might help...
http://reboot.pro/10387/page__p__91085#entry91085
Linux/Unix is about freedom, Windows about slavery.

md5 / sha1 check [how-to for NEWBIES] :idea:

Score: 43 I have some hippie in me. Cool, man 8)
Take the elitemrp.net "Are you a Hippie?" Test

jitukumar1987
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jitukumar1987 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:38 am

Actually it is an ADSL modem, and it has both USB/LAN modes. It was working with LAN properly then suddenly stopped working. I switched to USB cable and it started working again. The problem is, in Windows, I can connect my broadband using a simple dialup connection (bridging mode), but Linux Mint doesn't seem to connect. When I LSUSB, it shows me the name of my modem as a LAN card.
Linux mint was able to use my broadband connection when I was using LAN cable, now USB doesn't work.
What should I do?

Model is ZTE ZXDSL831AII

Return to “Wireless”