Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Subito Piano
Level 1
Level 1

no WPA in Mint 7 - Gloria

Post by Subito Piano »

Hi! I had to load Mint 7 in an older machine for a friend. The 3com wireless card worked perfectly in my home's WEP-encrypted network, but the family he is staying with is encrypted WPA (or WPA-2). WPA doesn't even show up as an option in Mint 7's default wireless connection program - how does one connect to WPA? (It's an 8-character alphanumeric passphrase, if that's a help.)

I "can" get over there with a long cable and download wicd, if i need to, or bring it on a USB drive....dunno if that will help him. If i'm desperate i could try downloading and running Mint 8, but 9 will NOT work.

Any thoughts appreciated.

dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Re: no WPA in Mint 7 - Gloria

Post by dawgdoc »

If the wireless card is very old it may not support WPA. If you do not know the model of the wireless card you could get the chipset by running in terminal inxi -N and then do a search to see if it supports WPA.
SYSTEMS:
HP 15-bw0017cl -- Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon (support for 80 y/o family members 1st install)
READING:
The Secret of the Ninth Planet by Donald A. Wollheim

Subito Piano
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Subito Piano »

OK - i think you nailed it. It's 3com 3RCWE777A - a quick google search yielded questions dating back to 2004, so the unit is at least that old, about the time WPA came in, i believe. So -- mystery solved. Either they will have to settle for WEP, my friend will have to stick with wired security, or we will have to look up a newer Linux-friendly WI-Fi card.

Thanks!

hemimaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hemimaniac »

Couple Points

1- Mint 7 isn't even supported anymore (this bothers me as it was, and still is the benchmark of LM imo)

2- The network may be set up as such so its hidden, you may have to use the "connect to hidden networks" function from the network manager, but this in itself is a moot point as i mentioned LM7 is no longer supported
"Linux allows for one thing above all else - 'A user can truly be themselves!'"

Andrew33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Andrew33 »

Subito,

What type, model of pc or laptop do you have. I wold think that whatever you have, Mint 9 will work on it, whether it be Gnome or KDE....let me know

Andrew

Subito Piano
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Subito Piano »

Hmm -- sorry it's not here, but it's a Dell, P-III, 800Mhz i believe, 512MB RAM (the maximum). Tried several boot options under Mint 9, noacpi, compatibility mode, etc -- to no avail. Never tried Mint 8. This is at least the second computer i had this problem with, the other a Toshiba (DESKTOP), also P-III, same specs.

That being said, we found some leftover Cat-5e (like, 60 feet!) and the family apparently doesn't mind the wires being run....so, yes, if you have any ideas i would be interested (i may ask for the card back for some future project), but don't go digging around for answers for me because i think this project is pretty much done.

Thanks!

Andrew33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Andrew33 »

The model of the laptops are usually just under the lid....in the upper left corner next to the power button above the keybord. I use to have an old Dell Latitude C610, which also was a PIII and had the 3COM wireless....I switched it out for a Intel Pro wireless 2200 B/G card which is able to acheive the WPA Personal encryption you're looking for...I think I was also able to do that with the 3COM, but I've since given that one away to my best friend wh is still quite happy with it. Just thought I'd let you know that.....cheers and have a great day

Andrew

Return to “Wireless”