Netgear/atheros wireless card: worked once...

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
r0b0t
Level 1
Level 1

Post by r0b0t » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:42 am

I am using an atheros based Netgear wireless PCMCIA card on an HP Omnibook 500. Latest version of Linux Mint. Have another notebook running XP/SuSE 10.1 which connects to the network fine under both OSs, using WPA-SPK security.

After the OS install on the Omnibook, I noticed that the network icon on the top showed several wireless networks detected. So the card was working with no configuration by me. I clicked on my network and configured it and set it to enable. There was a password field which I had filled out, but another window came up asking for the password anyway. When i put it in there another window came up asking for a password for the "keyring" which I guess saves all passwords. So I did all that and had a working connection, no problems at all. That was just too easy - no adding windows drivers, nothing. Just worked.

The next day, nothing. No wireless networks detected. I added the windows driver using the Admin tool, which changed nothing. Rebooted, still nothing.

Any ideas what's gone wrong or how to fix?

===========

Also unrelated question - when I get notifications I don't want (e.g. yesterday I got updates to about 15 language options which I don't need), how can I get them to stop coming up as updates? How do I reject them permanently?

r0b0t
Level 1
Level 1

Post by r0b0t » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:24 am

So I discovered that wlassistant was somehow running after the install but now isn't installed. That was what was giving me a list of networks. So I installed it, and the list of networks is there again. So I know the card works and is detecting networks.

But I still can't connect. I deleted the password from the keyring, thinking it may somehow be wrong. It was the very long PSK key I think, like 30 digits or more, which had been generated automatically, compared to the 10 digit key I entered myself.

Still won't connect, and it isn't trying to add another password into the keyring automatically like before. So I'm still stuck - this has to be a WPA-PSK issue, but I don't know if I'm not configuring it properly or i it just doesn't work. It worked before, so I have to think it is something about the configuration.

r0b0t
Level 1
Level 1

Post by r0b0t » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:20 pm

OK so it worked on WEP, the problem is definitely WPA. I believe WPA uses two password strings, one of which I think is automatically generated. I cannot find how or where it is saved.

As I said, it worked on WPA immediately after install. I still don't know why it stopped working.

PiEp
Level 1
Level 1

My problem too

Post by PiEp » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:56 pm

I posted in another topic earlier, but this is the EXACT problem I am having at the moment with Bianca. Everything used to work fine in Bea and even in Bianca, but something broke somewhere and now I cannot connect anymore to my WPA network.

phantommaggot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by phantommaggot » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:08 am

ive had the same problem with MINT
after the install it works great, but once i update it and reboot... no wireless at all..

how did you reinstall network manager without the internet??

thanks
-j

justo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by justo » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:35 pm

The problem is caused by one of the latest updates.Both Mint Bea and Mint Bianca get that update.The reason I say that is both lost my wireless after the updates.So I reloaded both Bea and Bianca.Both times the wireless work untill I got my updates. If you do not update the wireless stays working.Im on Bianca live now and on Wireless.

alfredska
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alfredska » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:21 am

I suffer from the same problem. I actually reinstalled Bianca to get back to a fresh start. Does anyone know which update is causing the problem so I can update everything else?

~Matt

Netgear WG-311T
Linux Mint 2.2 Bianca

zafman
Level 1
Level 1

Netgear/atheros wireless card: worked once

Post by zafman » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:58 am

I also have suffered from exactly the same problem today!

~J

Netgear WG111T (USB Dongle)
Linux Mint 2.2 Bianca
Shuttle SK43G + AthlonXP 3000+

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:10 pm

Ubuntu is moving to 2.6.17-11 and I suppose not all packages are ready to work 100% with that new kernel... people complained about their sound card, their wifi going down.. or even their printer.

I'm sure Ubuntu is working on that and trying to fix these issues right now. Please be patient, and as always understand that you always take a risk of introducing bugs when upgrading software (there should be a "Somebodys_Name Law" for that).

Alternatively you can stick with what Mint comes with. We release often so you're never too outdated, and you can take security updates.

On my box for instance I run Bianca upgraded to the latest but I don't dist-upgrade and I don't change kernels (I stay on 2.6.17-10). I run Romeo as well.. but that's another story :)

Clem

zafman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zafman » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:54 pm

Hi people--after my earlier post today,I,ve now managed to get my Netgear WG111T (USB dongle) to work,keeping the connection after upgrading.I dont know if it will work for other types of card but feel free to try it--I used this method after a fresh install because using mintconfig to set up the windows drivers using ndiswrapper on previous installs was always a bit hit and miss.
Method.
1. I copied and pasted to my home folder the drivers from the drivers disc which came with the dongle--in this case it was the "ndis5" folder.
2.open a terminal
3. Do cd ndis5 (enter)
4.Do sudo -s -H (enter) --this puts you in a root environement
5,Do ndiswrapper -i athfmwdl.inf (enter)
6.Do ndiswrapper -i netwg11t.inf (enter)
7.Now open /etc/ndiswrapper/netwg11t with your favourite file browser and you will see a file named 1385:4250.F.conf (or something similar).Make a note of those numbers.
8.In the terminal do ndiswrapper -d 1385:4250 netwg11t (enter)
(NB--if you see a warning that a driver is not installed properly--just carry on)
9.Do modprobe ndiswrapper (enter)
I also added "ndiswrapper" to /etc/modules...
10. To check the drivers are installed do ndiswrapper -l
You should get the following:
Installed drivers:
athfmwdl driver installed
netwg11t driver installed, hardware present
11.Reboot
12.Set up your connection using Networking (configure network devices) in mintConfig.
If you find that even though a connection is shown to be running,you cannot connect to the internet--pull the dongle out for a few seconds and replace
Good Luck
~j

alfredska
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alfredska » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:22 pm

Thanks for the info, I'll run most of the other updates and wait on a kernel upgrade until I see a compelling reason.

justo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by justo » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:13 am

alfredska wrote:Thanks for the info, I'll run most of the other updates and wait on a kernel upgrade until I see a compelling reason.
------------------------------------- Well.I like Bianca but I loaded other Linux versions until this problem is solved.The big thing is that it is hard to find out the news of when the problem is fixed.

Return to “Wireless”