Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
grahamw
Level 1
Level 1

Wireless network and unmounting network shares

Post by grahamw »

It seems that gnome stops the wireless network when it exits but before the shutdown scripts in /rtc/rc0.d run. This sometimes causes problems with unmounting network shares (in particular cifs shares) and can cause shutdown to fail with constant CIFS VFS errors.
Is this a known bug? Any plans to fix?
Are there any workarounds?
gtr1957
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wireless network and unmounting network shares

Post by gtr1957 »

My CIFS share mounted in Mint 10 did not have shutdown problems. I copied the relevant line from my Mint 10 /etc/fstab to my newly installed Mint 11 rc (32-bit) partition. The share mounts fine, however, on shutdown|reboot the system hangs requiring the 5-6 second power button hold. If I do a sudo umount the of the share prior to attempting shutdown | reboot everything is okay with shutdown taking about 12 seconds. I had similar problems with Ubuntu's Natty (on another partition) where I finally went to mounting in user space with gigolo so that I could shutdown without hanging. Clearly something has changed between Mint 10 and Mint 11. Comparing the /etc/rc0.d/S31umountnfs.sh between Mint 10 and 11 shows an added initctl line. I don't know if that is the problem or not.
gtr1957
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wireless network and unmounting network shares

Post by gtr1957 »

A little extra information. My system is an HP netbook (mini 210-1010nr). Wireless is Broadcom with the STA driver and I'm using WPA-2 Personal. Hang does not occur with wired connection CIFS mount, only with wireless. Gigolo works fine with Mint 11 RC, so I will be using that and have the /etc/fstab line commented out unless somebody wants me to test a fix.

Return to “Wireless”