Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
dedalmapeti
Level 1
Level 1

virtual router

Post by dedalmapeti »

I am in a location where only LAN internet is available, so I am looking for a solution similar to virtual router in W7. I am running mint 11 and there is no way I could do this (search on google). I want to connect my mobile devices to internet using a wireless connection throug my laptop adapter which is the only device that has internet via ethernet port.
Any help would be appreciated. Tx.

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: virtual router

Post by remoulder »

A quick search reveals several options, https://zhangyou.wordpress.com/2010/08/ ... al-router/ seems a likely choice?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

dedalmapeti
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dedalmapeti »

Done that, everything works fine,but still no connection. Here it is what I get in terminal
"Using interface wlan0 with hwaddr 1c:4b:d6:76:c9:2f and ssid 'andras'
wlan0: STA 5c:da:d4:da:ba:58 IEEE 802.11: authenticated
wlan0: STA 5c:da:d4:da:ba:58 IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 1)
wlan0: STA 5c:da:d4:da:ba:58 RADIUS: starting accounting session 4E0E2E92-00000000
wlan0: STA 5c:da:d4:da:ba:58 WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)
wlan0: STA 5c:da:d4:da:ba:58 IEEE 802.11: disassociated
wlan0: STA 5c:da:d4:da:ba:58 IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to inactivity"

I can see the network, but there is a message: obtaining ip address, and after a few connecting sessions the message disconnected. Something does not work and I cannot figure it out. Never seen this in W7, but I want to get rid of W7 and this issue keeps me uncertain. Please help...

marsrover
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marsrover »

This is easy. On any version of mint.
click the network icon on the bar, click create new network, set up it how you like it. (network name, security settings)
click ok and the network will be created on your wi-fi card.
I assume the ethenert connects automaticaly. (if not, change those settings)
so now when you turn your computer on, it will create a wi-fi hotspot, and connect to the internet
somehow, it connects them together so it works like regular wi-fi spot.
On my setup, i can't tell why, but somtimes I have to disconnect and re-connect the wi-fi for some of my divices to connect. My dell connects fine, but my mom's hp has issues.
I don't know if it's on my end or hers but there might be problems if you do it.

Return to “Wireless”