It says I'm connected, but it is lying

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Smile

It says I'm connected, but it is lying

Post by Smile »

I'm trying to get internet to work, on a wireless network but it's not working. That is, it can't connect to Pidgin, Chromium, Firefox or Skype. I believe I did everything right though. I've got the laptop going on a different network (at a different house) and that worked fine. I can also connect it on my mobile phone without any problems.

But I don't believe the problem lies with the wireless network or the router, because my phone's working fine on it, as is a different laptop (running on Mac).

Now the strange thing is, when I put in the password to connect, it works. Well, it says it's working, with excellect signal, in an almost teasingly 'Happy Internetting!" kind of way. But as I said. It doesn't.

Does anybody have any ideas what the problem could be?

I'm running Linux Mint 11 on a Lenovo Thinkpad X201i laptop. I'm trying to connect to a Sitecom router.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kendall

Re: It says I'm connected, but it is lying

Post by Kendall »

Is there any type of MAC filtering set up in the router? Some routers I've seen block traffic to specified (or non-specified depending upon configuration) devices, while some simply prevent those devices from connecting altogether. Outside of that I can well attest that Mint 11 should have no networking issues on an X201 as mine's been rolling solid for quite some time now.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Kendall wrote:Is there any type of MAC filtering set up in the router?
Isn't this true for "most" modern routers these days?

I finally figured out the "Allow" list on my NETGEAR Router WNR3500L and added my MAC address and to h3ll with the WPA nonsense.
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

Missing DNS adress?

nano /etc/resolv.conf
Smile

Post by Smile »

What is mac filtering? And how do I get around it?
oobetimer wrote:Missing DNS adress?

nano /etc/resolv.conf
I wrote that in Terminal. And I got:

# Generated by Networkmanager
nameserver 192.168.1.1

Is that normal? :p

EDIT: I am able to have a successful non-wireless internet connection. How can this be?
Smile

Post by Smile »

Ok. Sometimes it's working and other times it isn't. I'm having this problem with multiple routers now.

Return to “Networking”