Extremely slow speeds on wireless connection, help!

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
travlemon
Level 2
Level 2

Extremely slow speeds on wireless connection, help!

Post by travlemon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:26 pm

Hello,

I have posted about this issue in a couple different places, so far with no luck. Since I'm running Mint 12, I figured this should be the best place to post.

The problem and its history (skip ahead for a short summary):
I was excited for the release of Mint 12, as it seems like the perfect rendition of Gnome 3 on Ubuntu! So I grabbed it from the site, and installed it on the two machines I use primarily: My laptop and desktop. I was running Kubuntu 11.10 (recently upgraded from 11.04) prior to installing Mint 12, and my laptop's wireless speeds were very sluggish. Being that I had recently had some internet problems that were "fixed" by the cable tech, I figured it was probably just another ISP issue to call on. Before I called them, I figured I better investigate where the problem is coming from.

The first thing I did was a speed test on my laptop, with terrible results. Download speeds are at 1446 Kbps and upload at a horrendous 27 Kbps, at best. Next, I decided to test my desktop. The results for my desktop came in WAY better, downloading at 15021 Kbps and uploading at 1997 Kbps. I then ran a test on a Windows 7 desktop that's connected directly to the router and that had perfect results too.

The issue became isolated to my laptop. Come to think of it, I noticed that even the router setup pages were taking up to a minute or two to load, when they load almost instantly on my desktop. Also, since the problem got this bad, I can't even copy files to my file server, as the connection freezes. The speed tests are so bad on uploading that sometimes they fail to complete. The final test was to boot into Windows XP on my laptop and see if speeds were still horrible, as this would tell me if the issue is related to hardware or software. Sure enough, the connection is running great in XP and speed tests come back with great results. My infamous "router config page test" shows that all of the router config pages load almost instantly like on my desktop.

Short Summary of the above:
In short, I found my laptop's wireless connection to be extremely slow in Linux Mint, while all of my other computers seem to have nice fast connections. I've isolated the problem to be an issue with my wireless card, one way or another, in Linux Mint.

The big question:
How on Earth do I fix/optimize it? I tried playing around with iwconfig and setting the rate to 54Mbps and such, but nothing seems to speed it up.

I'm at a stand still here, as I don't know what to do next. I really DON'T want to use XP, as I really am enjoying Mint 12 and Gnome 3 a lot, and various other typical reasons that I like this OS better. Any help at all is much appreciated! I will post some info about my hardware, and the output of iwconfig below:

iwconfig output

Code: Select all

IEEE 802.11abgn  ESSID:"Wireless"  
Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: 00:23:69:CF:11:E6   
Bit Rate=81 Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   
Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=50/70  Signal level=-60 dBm  
Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:362   Missed beacon:0
Hardware Specs
Wireless Card: Intel Wi-Fi Link 5300 AGN adapter
CPU: 2.5Ghz dual core
Memory: 4GB
Video: Nvidia 9600M GT

Again, any help on speeding up this connection is MUCH appreciated! Thanks in advance!
For my video tutorials, check out:
http://www.youtube.com/webhunterification

travlemon
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Extremely slow speeds on wireless connection, help!

Post by travlemon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:06 pm

Ok, I have fixed the problem SOMEWHAT, but I'm still going to leave this thread open. I don't believe I fixed it to the point that it's working perfectly, but I got a HUGE improvement!

Here is what I did:
After going to the intellinuxwireless.org site to get the latest and greatest driver for the Intel Wi-Fi Link 5300 AGN card, I noticed that Mint/Ubuntu already has it. The .ucode firmware file, that I downloaded, was already located in the folder /lib/firmware. I decided that I should try using the Windows Wireless Drivers application to install the Windows XP version of the driver via ndiswrapper. Since I wanted to make sure that I wasn't at all running on the driver packaged with the OS, I moved any iwlwifi*.ucode files from /lib/firmware to root's home directory. I rebooted, and I had no wireless at all, which is what I wanted to make sure of before installing the Windows version of the driver. Then I simply installed the Windows driver via ndiswrapper's GUI front-end, and the tests made a huge improvement.

Download speeds, across multiple tests, are hovering around 2000 Kbps, and uploads at about the same. Also, the router's config pages load pretty much instantly, like they should. I'm also able to transfer files to my file server on the network, which was failing every time before. It's still far less than it should be. I still welcome and encourage any advice.

Here's my new iwconfig output:

Code: Select all

IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"Wireless"  
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: 00:23:69:CF:11:E6   
          Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   
          RTS thr:1600 B   Fragment thr:2346 B   
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:59/100  Signal level:-58 dBm  Noise level:-96 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

Ecip
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ecip » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:12 pm

I'm having the same problem. Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG.

travlemon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by travlemon » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:39 pm

Ecip wrote:I'm having the same problem. Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG.
Hello,

You can try my "fix" as mentioned in my previous post. The closest I ever came to fixing it was installing the Windows driver with ndiswrapper.

w2ibc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by w2ibc » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:55 pm

instead of removeing the driver files you could have blacklisted the driver in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

and running modprobe -r "driver"
http://linux.die.net/man/8/modprobe

then rebooted

say I have a wifi card that uses the driver abc123 id blacklist it in blacklist.conf then run modprobe -r abc123

reboot and install the win driver via ndiswrapper.

(using the blacklist you can always remove that and modprobe driver to reactivate it if need be)

idk why but it seems for some cards ndiswrapper works better then the native nix drivers
LMDE XFCE pae-kernel since 8/12/12

Ecip
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ecip » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:26 pm

I will try that this weekend. With work and everything, I just have no time, heh... Thanks for the reply, guys.

Ecip
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ecip » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:21 pm

Well, I backed up the wifi drivers from the firmwares folder and removed them, then installed the latest windows xp 32 bit driver and rebooted.
This resulted in 'no firmware' for the wireless and therefor no connection. I pasted the wifi drivers back to the firmwares folder and immediately the connection was made. The windows wireless installer says the driver is installed and the hardware present. So... I guess I'll test the connection speed and see how it goes. Need to find some files to download.

Return to “Wireless”