What Are Virtual Networks???

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Uchiha_Kori

What Are Virtual Networks???

Post by Uchiha_Kori »

Hello all. It is great to be back on the forums once again.

I have recently learned a small bit about Virtual Networks, but I still do not know what they are nor how they're used. Can somebody here please tell me what they are? Initially, I think of VirtualBox. Is a virtual network like what VirtualBox is for operating systems, but for networks?

Thank you,
Kori
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: What Are Virtual Networks???

Post by remoulder »

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Uchiha_Kori

Post by Uchiha_Kori »

Could ya' put that in layman terms for me? That's why I posted here in the first place.
doktornotor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by doktornotor »

Eh. Maybe you could rather explain what are you trying to achieve?
Uchiha_Kori

Post by Uchiha_Kori »

I am trying to achieve secretly getting into a network with a hidden IP address. I am not a hacker, nor is this a hack attempt. Can virtual networks really control how others see me on a network? Perhaps I should have made this more clear in my first post, my apologies.
Uchiha_Kori

Post by Uchiha_Kori »

doktornotor wrote:Eh. Maybe you could rather explain what are you trying to achieve?
Well???
doktornotor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by doktornotor »

Your IP address cannot be hidden because you would not receive any traffic back from the network you want to "secretly get into". The best you can do is setting your network interface to promiscuous mode and sniff on the traffic on that network.

Return to “Networking”