abandoning LM KDE -- moved to Cinnamon

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
quietmind
Level 1
Level 1

abandoning LM KDE -- moved to Cinnamon

Postby quietmind » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:57 am

Here's why:

1. Chrome is nice, but I need an engine. Too many things that should have worked by default either did not or were easily broken and couldn't be fixed. Asking for help here, I got none. Conclusion: KDE now is the same as it was when I abandoned it 2 years ago (in the form of Kubuntu). I assumed then that all the glitches, and my overly frequent trips to the forum for help, were due to my not using an LTS release. Sick of the chaos, I went to LM Cinnamon and it....just....worked. What a concept. Having finally bought a 64 bit box, with ample RAM, I came to LM KDE expecting a solid desktop. It was very pretty, this KDE thing...and then the baloo monster ambushed me. I posted here about it, and got one sympathetic response and one irrelevant response. Basically, no one cares. This cost me 10 hours.

2. There is a default convention for accessing the windows functions to maximize, minimize, etc. a window. KDE doesn't have this. When I tried to set up my own shortcut to access this functionality all hell broke lose, and I couldn't recover it. I couldn't use the OS at all. I posted here about it, and have yet to get a single response. I am not impressed. I have work to do, strangely enough. I want to fly the plane not build the damn thing.

3. Task switching...man, talk about fragile. It barely ever worked. When I tinkered a bit, it stopped working altogether. Unbelievable.

This thing is not robust enough to actually be used. If you have to be know a pile of linux to keep it running then it's for people who want to tinker, which is fine - for them. I don't. I want to get work done.

I've installed Cinnamon. All kinds of things I expect to work just do. I've gotten more done wit it in 9 hours than I did with LM KDE in 3 days. Enough said.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Re: abandoning LM KDE -- moved to Cinnamon

Postby killer de bug » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:48 pm

I'm glad you found a place you like.
I love Cinnamon since it was first released. I have not tried KDE since years. I need to have a look at it.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Portreve
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Portreve » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:24 am

quietmind wrote:Here's why:

1. Chrome is nice, but I need an engine. Too many things that should have worked by default either did not or were easily broken and couldn't be fixed. Asking for help here, I got none. Conclusion: KDE now is the same as it was when I abandoned it 2 years ago (in the form of Kubuntu). I assumed then that all the glitches, and my overly frequent trips to the forum for help, were due to my not using an LTS release. Sick of the chaos, I went to LM Cinnamon and it....just....worked. What a concept. Having finally bought a 64 bit box, with ample RAM, I came to LM KDE expecting a solid desktop. It was very pretty, this KDE thing...and then the baloo monster ambushed me. I posted here about it, and got one sympathetic response and one irrelevant response. Basically, no one cares. This cost me 10 hours.

2. There is a default convention for accessing the windows functions to maximize, minimize, etc. a window. KDE doesn't have this. When I tried to set up my own shortcut to access this functionality all hell broke lose, and I couldn't recover it. I couldn't use the OS at all. I posted here about it, and have yet to get a single response. I am not impressed. I have work to do, strangely enough. I want to fly the plane not build the damn thing.

3. Task switching...man, talk about fragile. It barely ever worked. When I tinkered a bit, it stopped working altogether. Unbelievable.

This thing is not robust enough to actually be used. If you have to be know a pile of linux to keep it running then it's for people who want to tinker, which is fine - for them. I don't. I want to get work done.

I've installed Cinnamon. All kinds of things I expect to work just do. I've gotten more done wit it in 9 hours than I did with LM KDE in 3 days. Enough said.

Well, quietmind, I think the issue you're talking about here is larger than either Ubuntu or Linux Mint. The one thing which has never changed is that there are KDE people, and then are Gnome people. Even the Gnome 2.x/3.x split of 2011 did nothing to diminish this fact.
Everything is in hand. With this tapestry... and with patience, there is nothing one cannot achieve.

No hamsters were harmed in the authoring of this post.

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Jedinovice » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:04 am

Well quietmind, if it works go for it. Life moves to quickly to be stuck with something that does not work for you. For those of us that need our laptops to work in the real world we grab what does the job.

But for those who might be unsettled... I suspect that there was something going on between KDE/QT and your hardware. Your experience does not mirror mine.

I have been using KDE since I started with Linux and it's been great!
I am having to run my own business in the Far East now and I have had to standardize three laptops - all running Mint Linux KDE 18.0 with backports and... running lovely. And I use my laptop to DEATH!!! My students cannot believe my humble ASUS Atom machine is only 2 years old due to the 'battle scouring.' KDE delivers to me again and again... and I mean specifically KDE. It's work flow and keyboard shortcuts support completely fit with me. I do not do computing in a fixed location without moving the laptop so KDE's keyboard shortcuts are a lifesaver for me. I cannot rely on a mouse.

My totally tech unsavvy secretary (she has the cushiest job in the world,) runs Mint KDE fine with ne'r a problem.

So, from my experience, KDE is not intrinsically unstable. Granted I only jumped into Mint 18 when the KDE 5.8 backports were available and I installed them fast. So earlier renderings may have caused grief. But generally, I have found KDE to be rock solid. And, I swear, I PUSH my laptop!

Enjoy Cinnamon. "A man's desktop is his castle."
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Jedinovice » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:58 am

Off topic...

Talking of Hamsters... which we weren't...

Portreve, just for you!

https://youtu.be/EQ1DRGzvoKc
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

Portreve
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Portreve » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:55 am

Jedinovice wrote:Off topic...

Portreve, just for you!

ROFLMAO!!! Awesome!

There is story behind that part of my signature, but I don't even remember what it is any longer. :cry:
Everything is in hand. With this tapestry... and with patience, there is nothing one cannot achieve.

viper37
Level 3
Level 3

Postby viper37 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:28 pm

quietmind wrote:Here's why:

yeah, I tried KDE too, went back to Cinnamon, it was just too complex for my tastes. However, there a couple of nifty GUI tools that KDE has, one for task scheduler and one for managing samba shares (apparently, I haven't seen it, only read about it) and I wish I had that in Cinnamon.
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
Intel Pentium G3240 3.1ghz dual-core
H81I-PLUS/CSM
256gb ADATA SSD (Ext4, OS drive)
WD Red 6TB (x2) (BTRFS, data drives)
16gb RAM

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Jedinovice » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:47 pm

Portreve wrote:
Jedinovice wrote:Off topic...

Portreve, just for you!

ROFLMAO!!! Awesome!

There is story behind that part of my signature, but I don't even remember what it is any longer. :cry:

I was there. It was to do with a thread regarding hamsters in smokin' routers... :D

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Postby samriggs » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:26 am

ya I am not a big fan of kde either, especially themeing for it.
too bloated for my liking and I like making a mess of my desktop, I usually go for cinnamon or xfce myself.

I know quite a few folks that absolutly love it though, so to each there own

Glad you got one that works for you.

as far as the poor little hamsters go, I might buy an electric scooter bike thing, and design some vinyl for it "powered by angry hamsters"
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

Portreve
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Portreve » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:38 pm

Jedinovice wrote:I was there. It was to do with a thread regarding hamsters in smokin' routers... :D

Oh! Cool! LOL!!!!!!

samriggs wrote:as far as the poor little hamsters go, I might buy an electric scooter bike thing, and design some vinyl for it "powered by angry hamsters"

Nice!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”