Install KDE on Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon, MATE or Xfce

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MaoMao2

Install KDE on Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon, MATE or Xfce

Post by MaoMao2 »

Hi all,
I read the 3D:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=267121&p=1495291#p1495291
about KDE and Linux Mint 18.3 (but 18.3 have KDE now) and and I searched here and in the web and no founded much...

I like Linux Mint because is wonderful and i use it only in USB Live Persistent (without hard disk - in HDD i have Windows only for some games), in the past ive tested Chinnamon and because my programs work in KDE no in chinnamon, because the chinnamon don't see my USB wifi and KDE yes and much other...
now i use only KDE ^_^
Now the 90% of my programs work in KDE and Mint 19 don't have KDE, OK.. my question is for to have a Linux Mint FULL KDE, this procedure is correct??
(founded in internet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDC6Xew8sL4)
OR i need of add some comands or to do other for to have Linux Mint 19 FULL KDE??

Code: Select all

1. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/ppa

2. sudo apt update

3. sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop

+ Extra founded in ur Chinnamon info relases (ty for ur work ^_^):
Issues with KDE apps
If you're experiencing issues with KDE apps (Okular, Gwenview, KStars..etc) run the following command:

apt install kdelibs-bin kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-plugins

(idk if this will be installed with "sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop", for this added also this info. :P
1) Look also the video (my 2nd link) and tell me if this procedure for u work or tell me what i need of to do.
2) IF work, is better start with Chinnamon, with Mate or KDE?
TYVM ALL!!! ^_^
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kilo

Re: Install KDE on Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon, MATE or Xfce

Post by Kilo »

Hi,

It did work, but not all of the KDE applications were installed. The only KDE program I saw was the KDE System Settings. Things like KDE Connect, Kate, and others do not install with that command. Hopefully this will help. At the current time using Kubuntu is the best option if you want KDE.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Kilo wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:44 pm Hi,

It did work, but not all of the KDE applications were installed. The only KDE program I saw was the KDE System Settings. Things like KDE Connect, Kate, and others do not install with that command. Hopefully this will help. At the current time using Kubuntu is the best option if you want KDE.
I am currently running Mint 17.3, so this may not be the same with the new version, BUT:

I just ran Synaptic Package Manager, typed "kate" into its search box, and then right-clicked that entry in the list that appeared and switched to that entry's properties' "Dependencies" tab. I then adjusted the little drop-down selector to show "Dependents" instead of "Dependencies," and had a look at the list.

I see kubuntu-full, kubuntu-desktop, and kde-standard. These meta-packages each pull in various Qt/KDE applications when you choose to install one of them. Checking their list of dependencies will show you which specific apps those are (some of the entries might be meta-packages of their own, I suppose - which would have to be checked for dependencies of their own).

One of these meta-packages might be a viable option for someone who does not wish to bother with the... monumental task (lol) of typing the names of their favorite KDE apps into Synaptic Package Monitor, double-clicking each, and then clicking on the "Apply" button.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

I can try to check this out on Linux Mint 19, but I am getting these annoying crashing issues again (not related to KDE) after a few minutes of running the OS it just crashes. Don't know what to do about it.
Sgthawker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sgthawker »

@xenopeek, a developer here at Linux Mint I believe, suggested after release of Tara he would give the directions for installing KDE on top of Xfce and then removing Xfce to basically create a Linux Mint 19 KDE. I'm sure he has been quite busy with the release of Tara and the Ubuntu related install issues on UEFI machines and the need for a v2.iso for correcting these issues. Personally I am waiting patiently for this possibility. I have a Tara install of Xfce on my desktop and my laptop ready to go when he gets a chance to release these instructions.

:mrgreen:
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Ryzen 7 5800X, GTX 3060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI on STRIX laptop, i7700 HQ, GTX 1060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
MaoMao2

Post by MaoMao2 »

Kilo wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:44 pm Hi,
Tried Kubuntu for 6 hours and it's .... a true pain.. for install the 32bit architecture is very long, i need updgrade all (when with Mint i can install directly from repository with comand sudo...), after don't work with Nvidia drivers and again problems with other because i use much all the emulators, also other emulators with wine etc..
After 7 hours removed all and tried Mint 19, perfect and all work fine, (only for nvidia drivers installed with drivers app i need to run my SO with "nomodeset"... guide in the relase note, BUT WORK) and all solved.
(n.b. With Mint Live Persistent edit useboot/boot/grub/grug.cfg for to have always "nomodeset" always active!)
Mint is the best!
TYVM all for the help and the info ^_^
o-l-d

Post by o-l-d »

IMHO it would be wise to wait until the 18.04.1 release of Ubuntu/Kubuntu to try to install KDE on Linux Mint 19. Once the base has matured and the major bugfixes done then installing a different desktop environment might be a more pleasant experience. The devs at Neon are not rushing to release a version based on Bionic, even though it is in the works, but are taking their time to "just get it right". I remember the problems that were encountered in Mint 18 KDE with the first release based on Plasma 5. By the time Mint 18.1 was released the major bugs and pains of Plasma 5 had been ironed out.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Looking on the Kubuntu site "Kubuntu 18.04.1" is released? Unfortunately I can't wait since I need something that my parents can use on touchscreens and none of the KDE distro's I've tried so far seem very "older-folk" friendly..... opensuse for one is WAY too much like win10 somehow (the same kind of ultimately directionless bloat I think) and fedora is it's own kind of eccentric dangerous.

EDIT: Added the PPA and funny enough where originally just installing KDE from the ropos had all sorts of missing things (like no window buttons or borders at all nothing) this way of just installing the kubuntu desktop worked flawlessly.... now I just need to remember to not to try to do any settings from outside of "system settings" or stripping all other DE's.... using xfce as a base install would be best because it seems to be the easiest to strip out.
Last edited by rambo919 on Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
galaxy0815

Post by galaxy0815 »

o-l-d wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:55 pm I remember the problems that were encountered in Mint 18 KDE with the first release based on Plasma 5. By the time Mint 18.1 was released the major bugs and pains of Plasma 5 had been ironed out.
I remember, too. But the Mint Team had much work from the beginning to implement KDE Plasma desktop. I think this is the reason not to build a KDE edtition. For example, to get Timeshift up and running.

So I am shure, it is possible to do it by ourselves.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=274467
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

OK one problem..... there are no lock screen/screen saver settings only power management
galaxy0815

Post by galaxy0815 »

rambo919 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:56 am OK one problem..... there are no lock screen/screen saver settings only power management

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install kde-config-screenlocker
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

using xfce as a base install would be best because it seems to be the easiest to strip out.
Using MInt 19 XFCE as a base, then installing I have a perfect Mint 19 KDE with No Need to strip anything from XFCE. I can log out of Plasma and log in to a fully working XFCE any time although I rarely do other than out of curiosity. I did not have the same luck with Mate and Cinnamon.

I did not add any PPAs or extra repos, just used Synaptic and Mint 19 repos.
From memory, I simply searched Synaptic for 'plasma' and selected 'kde-plasma-desktop', and also selected 'plasma-desktop'. That gave me just about all the main stuff - BUT searching 'plasma' in Synaptic again after install there will be extra bits related to Kubuntu (kubunutu-settings-desktop) and 'discover' (software manager) neither of which I am using, because I am happy with mist of Mint's defaults and I prefer Synaptic for software management.

Anyway, These two links (already posted in another topic) show the end result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRRCVP1lngk

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-n1sIMxL2V1I/ ... 125505.png
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
desperados
Level 4
Level 4

Post by desperados »

is it possible to install last plasma version from neon repo?
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

desperados wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:41 am is it possible to install last plasma version from neon repo?
i'd suggest this

https://linuxhint.com/install_kde_linux_mint_19/

Return to “Software & Applications”