Titlebar missing on KDE Plasma

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Titlebar missing on KDE Plasma

Post by zoli62 »

When I installed the mint-meta-kde and plasma-desktop packages to the existing Mate Desktop, I found that the titlebar of KDE Plasma desktop windows has disappeared. There was no maximization minimization icon, for example. What causes this issue and how can it be improved?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Re: Titlebar missing on KDE Plasma

Post by rossdv8 »

I have had this problem a few times. I know how to make them appear and disappear using the right click menu and I suspect sometimes I may have done it accidentally.
If you Right Click a Title Bar and choose 'More Actions' then click the check box next to 'No Borders', you will LOSE the Border around the windows AND the Title Bar !!
Now, once you have done that, there's no Title bar to right click on to get it back :-)
To get the Title Bar back again you have to click somewhere in the window, then do an ALT+F3 and choose More Actions from the menu that pops up, then in the check box next to 'No Border', click to get rid of the check mark. This should bring back the title bar.

I have had it happen when I chose a Window Decoration in System Settings > Application Style < Window Decorations.
The fix was to apply another decoration and hit Apply.

I have also had it happen when I am sure I have done neither of those things.
In that case the solution was to restart Plasma 5. To do that, open a Terminal and type:
kquitapp5 plasmashell && kstart plasmashell
and press ENTER.

NOTE
If you have lost the Title Bar on ALL Windows - try Restarting Plasma first
OR if that doesn't work
Changing the Window Decoration.

If you have only lost the Title Bar from a few Apps, try the ALT+F3 thing on each of the affected windows.

I have had all of these things happen to me, and while one might not be causing your problem, they might be a starting place.

Cheers,
RossD
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 »

Thanks. I'm wondering this because it happens after a fresh installation.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

Are you on MInt KDE? Or are you on MInt 19 with KDE/Plasma added, as I am now.
I found that the usual time it happens to me on a fresh install is if I have previously had KDE or Plasma and have formatted the ROOT partition in the install - BUT, kept my /home (didn't format it in the install) and simply chose to mount it as /home (so I could save all my documents and Application config settings and stuff).

Of course, doing this also saves all your old desktop config settings.
Now, because I dual boot Mint 17.3 KDE and Mint 19 KDE (Mint 19 XFCE with Plasma added) All my old desktop settings from Plasma on my previous Mint 18 KDE edition were found by the new Plasma 5.
And therein was part of the problem, because some of the Themes and Decorations I had in Mint 18 KDE were still in config, but were not recognised by the new Mint 19 with Plasma when it booted.
This is probably not the problem you have, but I hope it gives you some starting points to help you explore and figure it out.

For info, my SSD hard disk has SDA1 Root for MInt 17.3, SDA5 as Swap (yes I know about swap on an SSD - but I have a reason), SDA6 as /home, and SDA7 as ROOT for Mint 19.
On a 1.6GHz Celeron with 8GB RAM booting Plasma completely including completing an automatic test print to my WiFi printer after network start takes 1 min 15 sec.
If you have seen the video in my other posts you can see I have lots of Transparency configured (Title Bar, Panels and Menus and stuff) and Video Wallpaper - Just because I like seeing how far I can push a Celeron.

Cheers,
RossD
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 »

I added KDE Plasma alongside to XFCE.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi zoli62,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Your comments are conflicting, your first post says you added the KDE desktop to the Linux Mint 19 Mate edition and your last post says that you added KDE to Xfce.

KDE Users - with GTK and Gnome applications (Firefox, ST2, etc...), you may find it difficult to see or use all the options of applications created for GTK/Gnome, if you do not install the "adwaita" themes from "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" and change the KDE System Settings -> Appearance ->GTK/Gnome to use "adwaita" themes

I recommend for anyone wanting to continue to use Linux Mint 19+ with the KDE desktop to use the Xfce edition.

You can install the KDE desktop in two easy steps into Linux Mint Xfce (I call this "xKDE") or Mate ("mKDE").

Code: Select all

sudo apt install tasksel

sudo tasksel install kubuntu-desktop
During the installation process select "sddm" display manager, reboot, that's it.

There are still other KDE applications that can be installed. Although you can have both systems installed like Xfce and KDE and run either one, you could also remove the original desktop components like the xfce desktop components.

Install KDE from live environment - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=271815&hilit=tasksel

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 »

I have mentioned in the previous post Mate, because the KDE Plasma was installed once on one computer with XFCE desktop, then on other one with Mate desktop.
Anyway, i installed Cinnamon 19.1 beta on a virtual machine. When i entered the

apt-get install kubuntu-desktop 
command in the terminal, I received an error message that the system found unsatisfactory dependency.

Return to “Software & Applications”