Recommended torrent client?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lnx_User1

Recommended torrent client?

Post by Lnx_User1 »

I like Ktorrent but I am looking for something that has a client off feature when done downloading. Ktorrent has a shutdown feature but I don't want to shut down my computer after a torrent is done, just the client (also I discovered if Ktorrent shuts down my computer I get a bug report screen when I boot back up). Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: Recommended torrent client?

Post by wayne128 »

i do not use ktorrent because i do not use KDE.

for xfce, gnome, etc I usually use transmission.
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

I also use Transmission, but I like to seed for a while after download. I keep the defaults of x2, but I often quit before the upload had finished.

If you want to quit when finished downloading then there is an option to call a script when a download is completed. You could shutdown Transmission using this. But please think if this is what you want to do. Why not set it up so that you at least upload the same volume you download (x1)?

Garvan
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a client off feature. I run Mint 13 KDE. I installed Transmission because that was the first torrent program I used as a new Linux user just a few months ago. It's simple and does what I need. I can close Transmission without shutting down the entire computer. If I only have one active torrent, for example, I can hilite that torrent and click pause at any time. Transmission is still open but up and down activity is 0. I can resume at any time by unpausing. I tend to seed torrents for quite some time after my download is complete and 15x is not uncommon. When I don't want Transmission running any longer, I just pause all active torrents and close the program. My computer lives on.

Maybe you are looking for an automatic client close feature that activates when a download completes? Don't know, haven't tried.
heavy metal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by heavy metal »

Install "Qbittorrent" is simply the best IMHO!
Just go to: "Tools/Auto Shutdown or downloads completion/Exit Qbittorrent"
I think this is the option or feature you are looking for!
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.
King Duzu

Post by King Duzu »

Like heavy metal said, Qbittorrent is an Utorrent alternative and works on linux, mac and windows.
It handle magnet links just like utorrent, where you even can decide where to save the download.
shaggydavid

Post by shaggydavid »

i use deluge (python) and it works great
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Another vote for qbittorrent if you're a KDE user - it's a full featured uTorrent knock-off that integrates well with KDE (it's Qt based).
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

I like qbittorrent the best as well. Although ktorrent is also nice.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I love using Ktorrent, especially with the Ktorrent plasmoid on my panel.
Rayeta76
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rayeta76 »

I normally use Deluge, but I'm with now and Ktorrent KDE also works very well.
But I like its simple design but Deluge.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

I use kTorrent but I don't need an automatic switch-off setting. I leave the program run as long as the computer is one to upload as much as possible/needed.
It does what it needs to do and how it looks is not important either, I never see the window.

Return to “Software & Applications”