How to succesfully apply GTK3 themes ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cerule

How to succesfully apply GTK3 themes ?

Post by Cerule »

I'm using Mint13 KDE 4.9.5. Changing GTK2 themes goes without problems but applying GTK3 seem difficult. I've installed kde-gtk-config, extracted themes to ~./themes and can choose them in GUI and it makes changes in settings.ini as it should but GTK3 apps still use default (very ugly) theme. How can I make them work?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BostonPeng

Re: How to succesfully apply GTK3 themes ?

Post by BostonPeng »

It sounds to me like you're looking for kde-gtk-config. I wrote an article on my site about how to get it installed with links to where to get both source code and .deb packages.
Cerule

Post by Cerule »

BostonPeng wrote:It sounds to me like you're looking for kde-gtk-config. I wrote an article on my site about how to get it installed with links to where to get both source code and .deb packages.
I use kde-gtk-config (installed from repositories). If I change GTK3 theme to something else and relog/restart it's still uses the default theme. Only time it's different is if I choose oxygen-gtk as both GTK2 and GTK3 theme. But then GTK3 -graphics are broken. There are monochrome square background around all text so it's not really usable. I normally use qtcurve as kde theme and gtk2-engines-qtcurve for gtk2. Would be awesome if I could somehow make GTK3 look same. This can be some kind of dependency issue since I had GTK DEs such as Cinnamon and Gnome Shell 3.5.8 (or similar) installed in this machine from PPA and later purged them. Maybe it broke something.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Cerule wrote:I use kde-gtk-config (installed from repositories). If I change GTK3 theme to something else and relog/restart it's still uses the default theme. Only time it's different is if I choose oxygen-gtk as both GTK2 and GTK3 theme. But then GTK3 -graphics are broken. There are monochrome square background around all text so it's not really usable. I normally use qtcurve as kde theme and gtk2-engines-qtcurve for gtk2. Would be awesome if I could somehow make GTK3 look same. This can be some kind of dependency issue since I had GTK DEs such as Cinnamon and Gnome Shell 3.5.8 (or similar) installed in this machine from PPA and later purged them. Maybe it broke something.
Part of it could be a difference between the Mint KDE setup and the LMDE KDE setup that I'm using. I don't recall the settings getting put back to the default but I'm noticing that something similar seems to be happening to someone else over in the LMDE KDE UP6 thread. Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Return to “Software & Applications”