I turned off effects and rebooted i got 480mb idle now. perhaps some effects cause lots of memory or even 1 specific effect may have a memory leak? not sure.wayne128 wrote:phill1978 wrote:
i know KDE is a bit of a hog but what does everyone else get on RAM usage to desktop?
I have Akondai off, Blueman off, Mint Upload off, CUPS off, dont run any activities and im seeing 740mb on a fresh boot to the desktop? I do use the offical amd catalyst driver which uses a lot but even if i take off 100mb 640mb also seems a lot? is this normal?
Out of just interest to compare RAM used I captured these for reference only
All have fglrx (amd/ati HD5450) installed
All are KDE, various versions.
Desktop used had intel i3, 4G Ram, AMD/ati HD5450 graphic.
1. Pardus-( debian wheezy based ), desktop with htop only =350M, firefox 20 tabs running= 620M
2. Salix ( slackware based) , desktop with htop only=415M, firefox 8 tabs running = 620M
3. Stella (centos , redhat based), desktop with htop only= 195M, firefox 10 tabs running = 365M
4. Magiea , desktop with htop only=440M, firefox 10 tabs running =509M
5. netrunner ( based on kubuntu) desktop with htop only=440M,
firefox with 24 tabs running=868M
firefox with 24 tabs plus one watching youtube video=913M-925M
It seems your 740M ( at idling?) is way on the very high scale.
the system is very snappy though its running much faster than my main desktop pc even on a cheap quad core APU !