Switching to KDE from Cinnamon. What's wrong with it?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ujghj
Level 1
Level 1

Switching to KDE from Cinnamon. What's wrong with it?

Post by ujghj » Thu May 30, 2013 6:31 pm

On Mint14 I've just replaced Cinnamon 1.8 with KDE (by kde-full install) and have got this view:
http://wishmake.net/uploads/1189/snapshot1.png
Window decoration is ugly, like from Windows Server, desktop theming doesn't work.
Spent 3 hours and still have no clue; I even don't know how to google it! Please help - what's it about?

bigj231
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Switching to KDE from Cinnamon. What's wrong with it?

Post by bigj231 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:56 pm

So the application appearance settings do not work? Also the Window decorations settings?
Running on a 4-slot toaster @ 60Hz

zedzdead
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zedzdead » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:50 pm

If I may make a suggestion.

If I were you I would just back up and important data you may have from linux mint, wipe the drive, and do a fresh install of LM 15 KDE. From my personal experience switching DE's can be a grueling process.

Myrmidon83
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Myrmidon83 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:02 am

zedzdead wrote:If I may make a suggestion.

If I were you I would just back up and important data you may have from linux mint, wipe the drive, and do a fresh install of LM 15 KDE. From my personal experience switching DE's can be a grueling process.
Yeah I've found this also. I'd second a fresh KDE install, I really like it, switched from MATE and Cinnamon for a change.

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:51 am

+1 on reinstalling with Mint KDE. Mixing DE's on a machine often results in a hodge-podge of pieces that work fine, but you have to fully understand taking a generic KDE up to the level of what the Mint or other distro devs do with it to make it "stock". What you get from the repos is not what you get when you install Mint KDE in terms of themes, appearance, etc. so you have to be somewhat savvy with the DE to tweak it to look like a stock Mint KDE install. And you'll probably spend more time trying to do so than you would just downloading the iso of Mint KDE and reinstalling after backing up your files.

ujghj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ujghj » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:39 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I didn't want to reinstall the OS from scratch, cause there was a complex configuration specially for my job.
So I decided to give a try to another DE, and it was XFCE. It set up almost automatically without problems and needed me just to configure it using visual settings editor, and now it working like a charm. Choosing now between KDE, Cinnamon and XFCE, I'd prefer XFCE, it's really reliable, comfortable, lightweight and good looking. Not a promotion from my side, just a grateful feedback for the developers of it.

bigj231
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bigj231 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:42 pm

Glad you found something you like. I know several other people who really like XFCE, for the exact reasons you mentioned. I prefer more fancy features, so I'll stick with KDE.
Running on a 4-slot toaster @ 60Hz

phutres
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phutres » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:07 pm

I switched to KDE a couple months ago. Historically I've favored gnome/mate with xfce as a backup. I have also historically avoided KDE like the plague , going back to 2002 or so when I started using linux. I remember some gnome3-esque drama about kde changing it's layout, but this kde is much better than the ancient kde of a decade ago.

I believe I have been converted to KDE. All you need to do is run

Code: Select all

sudo apt install kde-full
then log out and select KDE session then log back in and experience the awesome that is KDE Plasma.

MATE is gimped by gnome3 and Cinnamon really isn't ready yet(it's not configurable enough, some annoyance with dual monitor window lists other stuff I don't remember)

I still have xfce installed as a fallback, more out of habit than anything. Having 16gb of memory + solid video card, xfce doesn't seem to be much more snappy than kde anymore.
Phenom II x4 955 black edition, geforce 560ti, 16gb ddr3 1600.
Mint 17 64 MATE using mint-meta-xfce desktop
LMDE VM for work because it's portable
old Mint 13 on spare partition(xfce default)

Evangelical Mint user since version 4.0 and proud of it.

Return to “KDE”