KDE autostart

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mbohets
Level 2
Level 2

KDE autostart

Post by mbohets »

Each time I start mint KDE, the system automatically starts a number of applications (firefox, 3 x document viewer each with different documents,nemo, yakuake).
Can anyone tell me where linux stores the list of applications it automatically starts ?

I already looked in
/home/marc/.kde/Autostart
/home/marc/.kde/share/autostart

but there is nothing there.

I think it must be a specific KDE setting because when I start the Cinamon desktop, nothing autostarts
x
Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religion
dequire
Level 4
Level 4

Re: KDE autostart

Post by dequire »

mbohets wrote:Each time I start mint KDE, the system automatically starts a number of applications (firefox, 3 x document viewer each with different documents,nemo, yakuake).
Can anyone tell me where linux stores the list of applications it automatically starts ?

I already looked in
/home/marc/.kde/Autostart
/home/marc/.kde/share/autostart

but there is nothing there.

I think it must be a specific KDE setting because when I start the Cinamon desktop, nothing autostarts
x
Hello and welcome to KDE! To change KDE's startup behavior, simply go to System Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Session Management. Here you will see the various options offered. The one option that you would want to select would be "Start with an empty session".

Hope that helps.
They'll all look at me and say,
Hey look at him! I'll never live that way.
But that's okay -
They're just afraid to change.
- Shannon Hoon

The Blue Mint
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

dequire is right. Some documentation about Autostart and Session Management found on the KDE UserBase Wiki: http://userbase.kde.org/System_Settings/Startup_and_Shutdown
mbohets
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mbohets »

Thanks for the reply, but it is a bit more complex.

In Autostart and session management I don't see what is stored for the current session

I like the way things are now, I just want to prevent nemo and one instance of document manager to autostart.
What happens now is that document manager auto starts up and opens a large pdf document at the page where it was when I stopped the PC.
This is very convienient, as I dont have to search for the page where I was in the document, and I want to keep it that way.

So what I am really looking for is the location of the config txt file where this is stored, so I can throw out the instance of document viewer
and nemo I don't need.
Normally in Linux all settings are stored somewhere in config files, so I need to know where this particular config file is.
I did this kind of tinkering in text config files before for other things, but in this case I don't know in what file I need to go and change things.
In this case I need to find the file where KDE stores the session information, that restores the previous settings when starting up again.
Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religion
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Configuration for your sessions is in ~/.kde/share/config/session/. Press Ctrl+H in your file manager to show hidden directories like .kde in your home folder. I'm not sure how easy it is to pick & choose what you want to keep here.

Alternative is easier; in Session Management set "On Login" to "Restore manually saved session". Then in your menu go to the Leave tab and you will find the option to "Save Session" there. Just open all the applications you want to open by default on login. Save session and that should do it.

Return to “KDE”