Mint 14 KDE freezes frequently

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lightersix

Mint 14 KDE freezes frequently

Post by lightersix »

Pretty green with linux, I'm really loving Mint though except for the fact that it periodically freezes up, probably a handful of times a day.
The only way to unfreeze it is a hard reboot, Ctrl-alt-backspace doesnt work.
After searching around a bit I found posters asking about this issue being told to run inxi -fxz and post the results. So I followed suit, here's the output

System: Host: lsix Kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.2)
Desktop: KDE 4.9.2 (Qt 4.8.3) Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Machine: System: TOSHIBA product: Satellite C855D version: PSCBQU-00600J
Mobo: TOSHIBA model: Portable PC version: MP Bios: Insyde version: 6.00 date: 08/21/2012
CPU: Dual core AMD E-300 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 5190.6
Clock Speeds: 1: 780.00 MHz 2: 780.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Wrestler [Radeon HD 6310] bus-ID: 00:01.0
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD PALM GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.0.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson Azalia Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Wrestler HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6250/6310] driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.25
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 06:00.0
IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Card-2: Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter driver: rtl8192ce port: 3000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (2.0% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MQ01ABD0 size: 320.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 292G used: 6.0G (3%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 1.71GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info: Processes: 143 Uptime: 15 min Memory: 716.9/1594.8MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.7.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4

If anything looks bad or if I should do something different let me know, thanks in advance for the help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: Mint 14 KDE freezes frequently

Post by Orbmiser »

You didn't state what plasmoid or system startup apps,widgets,etc
When I had lockups that would be intermittent and last for a minute or three.
To full lockup had to do with the gmail plasmoid running in system tray.
Once I disable and delete that from running things returned to normal

1) Mail checking programs can be problematic with mail-agent & andkondai process running in background.
2) It could still also be your graphics chipset & open driver used?
3) Could be an errant plasmoid widget running on startup. Disable any that you may have running.

Sorry not a lot of linux experience and may not have isolated your issue.
It's a start and hope someone chimes in with more experience and knowledge to help you out.
Jonathan Spearman

Post by Jonathan Spearman »

lightersix wrote:Pretty green with linux, I'm really loving Mint though except for the fact that it periodically freezes up, probably a handful of times a day.
The only way to unfreeze it is a hard reboot, Ctrl-alt-backspace doesnt work.
After searching around a bit I found posters asking about this issue being told to run inxi -fxz and post the results. So I followed suit, here's the output

If anything looks bad or if I should do something different let me know, thanks in advance for the help.

When it comes to issues in Linux, I would suggest that you always go look in your log files and see if there are any errors, By doing this you will learn your system, but more importantly it will usually let you know where the problem may lie. Every time my system has locked up, it usually was a application or widget that was causing the issue. I would undo whatever change I made and the problem would go away.

Another suggestion is to copy and paste the error message in Google and I am sure you will find a solution to your issue. From the command you have been told to run, it seems that you are using wireless drivers to connect to the internet. It very well could be a network issue, Rather than using dhcp, try setting a static ip and see if your system still freezes. network drivers can freeze your system, especially if it does not receive a proper timeout when a communication error occurs.

If you can post a little more information such as:

When does the system seem to freeze, it is random or when using a certain app? what were you doing at the time of the freeze?
Do you have applications or widgets loading at startup?
Have you done a trace route to see how long it takes to get through a hop? and how many hops does it do before it times out?
What is your connection speed?

Some of these may have been answered already and if so, Please forgive me, but this may be able to give someone else the information they need to assist you further.
FuLl

Post by FuLl »

I get the same problem in 17.3 in KDE.

It doesn't seem to happen for any particular reason, different stuff running each time. But when I'm watching Netflix in Chrome it happens that the desktop is all that freezes, the audio from whatever I'm watching keeps playing as if nothing happened. This gives me the impression that there may be a log being written to which may provide a clue. However I don't know what log to check, or what text to grep in said log.

Could anyone let me know what exactly I should do to troubleshoot this, please?

Thanks,
-F

EDIT: Output of command mentioned above:

Code: Select all

~ > inxi -fxz
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E8500 (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB bmips: 12634 
           clock speeds: max: 3166 MHz 1: 1998 MHz 2: 1998 MHz
           CPU Flags: acpi aperfmperf apic arch_perfmon bts clflush cmov constant_tsc cx16 cx8 de ds_cpl dtes64
           dtherm dts est flexpriority fpu fxsr ht lahf_lm lm mca mce mmx monitor msr mtrr nopl nx pae pat pbe
           pdcm pebs pge pni pse pse36 rep_good sep smx ss sse sse2 sse4_1 ssse3 syscall tm tm2 tpr_shadow tsc
           vme vmx vnmi xsave xtpr
Mr.October

Post by Mr.October »

I had to check it first, and I was correct concerning the versions of Mint being LTS releases, your Nadia (Mint 14) is NOT an LTS release and it must be out of date ages ago. (May 2014)
Why still use such an old version? Is it that your computer can't handle newer versions because the release gets too big and is demanding too much from the hardware?
Maybe, because of lack of support, your computer came down with something which causes the system to freeze.

If I were you I would see if I could update to a newer version (17.3 for example) so you receive updates for quite some time which will keep your system clean and up-to-date.

[Edit] Don't know if Nadia has this but you could try using inxi -Fz in a terminal and post the outcome here. When doing so please use the button Code on top of this editing field and place your answer in between the

Code: Select all

and 
tags.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

Hi lightersix, you don't say if you are using Mint KDE 'only' or if you have either installed KDE on top of another Mint desktop or installed others into KDE. For example, installing Mint Mate first then adding KDE so you could see what it is like, or installing Mint KDE then installing Mate or LXDE or Cinnamon or something into Mint so you can try them 9choosing at the login screen).

The reason I ask is that KDE doesn't like being installed alongside anything else. You can install almost all the other desktops and switch between them as long as you don;t install KDE. But it might not be good to install KDE then install other desktops.

Some people do it and get away with it - some have the problem you describe.

My experience this week is posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=220749#p1163822

It is a very long post so you'll probably be able to tell if it is a similar problem. But what you are describing is one of the things that happened to me, although I think i skipped that in the description.

Obviously, if you only installed clean Mint KDE and you haven't been adding Gnome programs (like Nautilus, which will kill KDE) or removing essential KDE programs to use Gnome ones in their place, this won;t be the problem. But if you suspect your KDE is polluted, have a read.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet

Return to “Software & Applications”