Can the KDE desktop be 'locked down'?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Can the KDE desktop be 'locked down'?

Post by tpprynn »

I've been preparing a desktop pc made from my spares for a friend. I've put Mint KDE 13 64 bit on it, made it simple to use for the friend and her kids by putting some taskbar icons and adding a few programs, doing the updates and I've locked the widgets but I wonder if there's anything else I can do to make it unlikely that I'll be doing too much maintenance for them. (I was tempted to give them my abandoned Windows 8 license and install it as at least it's locked down in a way but it was hard to think whether W8 would be less or more mean...) Basically the three recipients have been without a computer many years, aren't very techy, one of them is dyslexic and I wouldn't burden them with Terminal stuff and any Linux ideology, so any additional comments in view of this are appreciated.

Thanks.

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Can the KDE desktop be 'locked down'?

Post by TBABill »

There may be ways but I haven't tried. Users like you mentioned would be perfect for Chrome OS on a Chromebook. You just can't break it and it's dumbed down to the point where anyone can use it with practically no computer knowledge. Easiest Linux distro out there, but it is locked down like OSX to achieve that.

Return to “KDE”