LM 13 KDE: overheating problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pelleoss

LM 13 KDE: overheating problem

Post by pelleoss »

Hi.
I have an overheating problem with my sony vaio running LM 13 KDE.
Basically starting from the boot I can hear the fans working at high speed and after a while the left part of the laptop becomes hot, even if nothing is running.
CPU seems to work ~10% (checked via "top" command or system monitor).

I tried also to boot to WIN7 and there is no heating and no fan noise.
I'm also sure when I installed LM (~one year ago) this issue was not present. It must be the cause of some updates.
Checking online I found the cause can be the driver of the video card but I'm not using the proprietary driver.
I have no idea what to do... there is a way to unistall all the updates without formatting? I remember I had to fight some days to be able to standby&resume my laptop and don't want to loose all my settings...

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
beatink

Re: LM 13 KDE: overheating problem

Post by beatink »

Same problem here with my Sony VIAO. Will be interested to see if someone responds with any suggestions, but otherwise may have to try a different Linux distro (much as I do like KDE)
pelleoss

Re: LM 13 KDE: overheating problem

Post by pelleoss »

As suggested by beatink, I installed the video card proprietary driver and everything was fine: no more heating problems.

Return to “Software & Applications”