Mint 13 KDE - wifi problem <SOLVED>

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
fin2cv
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 13 KDE - wifi problem <SOLVED>

Post by fin2cv » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi! I have problem: wifi connection of my laptop (Asus N73JG) disappeared during net surfing. Laptop doesn't recognize any available wifi networks, but there is atleast one properly working one, our own. I have a Samsung galaxy tab, which is working fine, including wifi networking, so I'm sure there should be a wifi connection.

I tried to scan available networks with Available Networks - System Settings -function but it didn't find any network. Is there any way to check if the wireless networking card (sorry don't know the right english terms..) is working properly, perhaps via konsole?
Last edited by fin2cv on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint 13 KDE - wifi problem

Post by TBABill » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:11 pm

Did you try resetting power to the router? I have one that when it glitches, I have to restart it because only Apple devices are unable to connect to it. It's strange...only iPhones and MacBook Pro computers are unable to use the router when it happens, but my Chromebook, Windows laptop and Linux desktop all work fine. Power reset of the router fixes it but it's frustrating to have to do that periodically.

fin2cv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fin2cv » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:12 am

Yes I did boot the wifi router and the laptop, and still the laptop doesn't find wifi connection..

fin2cv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fin2cv » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:54 am

Case solved: from the finnish ubuntu forum I got advise for this problem.

To make sure that there isn't anything blocking the wlan, open konsole and type:

Code: Select all

rfkill list
result was this:

0: hci0: Bluetooth
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: yes
        Hard blocked: no
To unblock this soft blocking (usually works in these types of cases) type to the konsole (requires sudo password):

sudo rfkill unblock 1
This worked fine in this case.

Return to “KDE”