Now I did a fresh install of Mint 15 Oliva KDE edition and expected everything to work in this area and it is not.
I have two users. I also have a triple monitor arrangement (4320x2560 total res) which does put some stress on load on Kwin, X and everything related so I am not sure if that would have anything to do with it.
This is what happens now when I try to Switch User
1. Click "Switch User" in the launcher
2. A "Desktop Sessions" dialog appears in the place of the Alt-F2 run dialog on the top of the screen. The only option is to click "New Session"
3. At this point this message appears:
4. I click the only option "Start New Session""You have chosen to open another desktop session. The current session will be hidden and a new login screen will be displayed.
An F-key is assigned to each session; F7 is usually assigned to the first session, F8 to the second session and so on. You can switch between sessions by pressing Ctrl, Alt and the appropriate F-key at the same time. Additionally, the KDE Panel and Desktop menus have actions for switching between sessions."
5. This drops me to a lock screen. "This session has been locked by <username>" The only options are to put in my password and Unlock which returns me to my session, or "Switch User."
6. Clicking "Switch User" yeilds a dialog with the same message about about the F-keys, as well as a list of active logins in the form of
"username (0:, vt8)" The options are Activate or Switch User
7. Activate does nothing, and Switch User brings me back to the step 5. The Ctrl-Alt-F keys drop me into command lines, in which it appears I can log in via command line as a different user, but I don't know how to get back to the GUI. So essentially I am in a loop and unable to actully allow another user to login.
This is obviously not how this should be working, and it is a shame that such basic functionality is not working in Linux Mint for everyone. Does anyone else have this issue? The only way I can let a another user login is by loggin out and ending my session, which works fine. Can this be repaired?