Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
cessanfrancisco
Level 2
Level 2

How's KDE?

Post by cessanfrancisco »

Hi,

I am hoping to get some feedback regarding user experience with Mint 15 KDE. I really like KDE (with its polished, smooth look, and vast configuration options) but in the past, with other distros (Kubuntu and Mageia) I have found it to be unwieldy (buggy) and often akin to taming a wild stallion (unpredictable). My biggest gripe being that icons in the panel (task bar, whatever it's called) would often rearrange themselves, disappear, reappear; one setting would change itself, but when remedied it would only undo ten other things, until it snowballed to the point of tearing my hair out.

When I discovered that Mint 15 has a KDE version I was at once excited and apprehensive. I like Mint and I like KDE--sounds great,right? Like peanut butter and jelly. But then I remembered the nightmares of KDE with the other distros...

I booted it up from a live USB and all worked well for the 15 minutes I played with it, but what about the long-haul, I thought...

So...can anyone tell me what you've exprienced in terms of headaches and triumphs regarding Mint 15 KDE over a period of time?

Thanks in advance.

Orbmiser
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How's KDE?

Post by Orbmiser »

Was Using Mint 14 & 15 KDE and everything worked out of the box without the issues you mentioned.
And would give it a go without hesitation. But not knowing your hardware setup may be the root of some of your issues.

As on my Amd Dual=core with Dual 22" Displays using default open graphic drivers on my Ati 4350 graphics card.
Where others trying to use proprietary drivers with constant issues like you mentioned.

Tho found Mint KDE 14 & 15 problem free and Smooth and Snappy over Cinnamon when I had it installed.
The overwhelming customizations can be daunting at first but I just learned a little at a time over a few days.
And trimmed down the desktop to a more minimal Gnome like environment.

Current Desktop
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/9595684343/][img]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2821/9595684343_608fcba86e_n.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/9595684343/]SolydK 2013.08 KDE Desktop Dual Displays "Game of Thrones"[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/orb9220/]Orbmiser[/url], on Flickr

Iterations and my evolving KDE desktops over this year.
[url]http://www.flickr.com/search/?details=1&w=89272275@N00&q=kde[/url]

Great for me was the built in Desktop effects. And KDE Apps will remember their Size & Position.
Which is a godsend when using dual displays on 3 Virtual Desktops with 6-8 apps open and a mouse wheel turning the cube face to work with different apps real productive for my needs. Instead of opening apps and having to drag them here and there and manually sizing them to fit my workflow.

Last month decided to try out SolydXK and Settled on SolydK 2013.08 [url]http://solydxk.com/[/url]
As got tired of Ubuntu based updates messing up or borking system and always recommending to clean install every 6 months.

So looked into a Debian monthly rolling release with never a need to clean install again with SolydK.
As they are from the Mint Community and forked to concentrate on a Debian rolling release based on KDE and Xfce.

Again trouble free and intall was a snap due to me having a separate /home partition. Only required me to intall Conky and the Yawp weather app and tweak and adjust the themes back. And adjust my Firefox. But all worked well and problem free and took 40 mins tops.

But even the Mint KDE was problem free and less issues than I had with Cinnamon. As in Cinnamon had those issues of panel Icons disappearing or showing up corrupted that required a Cinnamon restart to fix.

Snapcase
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Snapcase »

As on my Amd Dual=core with Dual 22" Displays using default open graphic drivers on my Ati 4350 graphics card.
Where others trying to use proprietary drivers with constant issues like you mentioned.
I pretty much agree with Orbmiser in everything with the difference that my machine has an Nvidia card instead of ATI, also tqo 22" displays. My experience here with the Nvidia is the reverse. I had all kind of troubles with the open drivers, and finally everething went smoth after a reiterated install of a given proprietary driver. The first one dind't worked that good, I tried a different one and finally everything worked. From that point my Mint KDE experience is very positive and pleasant.

I installed Mint 13 KDE in my sister's laptop three weeks ago, and like Orbmiser's it's an AMD & ATi combo. I Left the open drivers, and everything is working smooth. As you can see, the hardware you have can make a huge difference in your side. The graphic card drivers are a critical and determinant part of a Linux installation. They alone can either ruin or make excellent any OS running on a specific machine.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Snapcase wrote:My experience here with the Nvidia is the reverse. I had all kind of troubles with the open drivers
The open source drivers are reverse engineered crapola and should be avoided like the bubonic plague. Other than that, I can only say that KDE is the bee's knees when it comes to DEs.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

anandrkris
Level 5
Level 5

Post by anandrkris »

I run Mint 13 KDE with Kubuntu backports ppa, so have the latest 4.10.x series. It is rock solid and I would stick to KDE for following reasons:
1. Widgets 2. Desktop search / krunner 3. Wobbly windows. :wink: Just kidding: Power of customization.

[url]http://www.muktware.com/5194/kde-410-review-time-switch-kde[/url] - Read here for a comprehensive review.

I am a recent convert from Windows world with zero programming experience and wont be ashamed to say that I took time to learn the ropes but now KDE offers me a very elegant and productive desktop for my computing needs.

Regarding graphics, mine is Nvidia Optimus enabled and use bumblebee with nvidia-current, not much complaints for playing supertuxkart. :D

P.S. I dont use much of their PIM Kontact suite.
Cheers,
If there is a drive, there will be a path

cessanfrancisco
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cessanfrancisco »

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the input.

I installed Mint 15 KDE on my Asus UL80jt last night. Everything worked great out of the box. Nothing weird or funky. The only thing I had to do was install the Bumblebee driver (my computer uses Nvidia Optimus). Other than that all is smooth sailing...so far.

Thanks again.

Return to “KDE”