Completely remove program? And question about clipboard.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lazostat

Completely remove program? And question about clipboard.

Post by lazostat »

I use synaptics to uninstall a program. But i heard that some leftovers exist always. How can i manually remove them?

Also. I installed a program via synaptics. It said that will install also 4 more packages. When i unistalled the same program via synaptics, it removed only the program and not the additional packages. Why?

Now about the clipboard. Linux Mint KDE uses klipper for clipboard manager. I want something like ubuntu. I mean when i copy-paste files, i want to see the progress bar and the rate. I can see them with klipper, but i must select the icon in the taskbar..

I want to automatically appear the progress bar in the background.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Completely remove program? And question about clipboard.

Post by Aging Technogeek »

As far as package removal goes, the most useful things are all terminal commands.

To remove an app, open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge (program)
where (program) is the name of the app you want to remove.

This will remove the program files and any configuration files generated on installation or during operation.

To clear unneeded dependency files left behind, use

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get autoremove
and all left over and/or unneeded files will be deleted.

When you install a program through Synaptic, the installer will check your OS for the needed dependency files and install any that are not already present (eg, the four files you mentioned).

When the program is removed using Synaptic, Software Center, apt-get remove, or apt-get purge the dependency files are not removed because since the installation, other programs may have been installed that need the same dependencies.

Apt-get autoremove checks all dependency files and removes any that are not currently being used.
lazostat

Post by lazostat »

So the best option to uninstall a program is via terminal?

purge program and then autoremove?

How can i delete the leftover files manually? Are they hidden?
Aging Technogeek

The problem with trying to erase the dependency files manually is the difficulty in determining whether the files are being used as dependencies for some other program.

Unlike Windows, which installs a complete set of required dependent files with every program installed, Linux distros use a common dependency pool. The effect of this is that when a program is removed from Windows, all dependencies go with it. In Linux, any file may be dependent on several files that are also used for other programs. If these dependent files are removed, any programs that use them will not run properly, if they run at all.
lazostat

Post by lazostat »

I am talking about the config files.
Aging Technogeek

If you use "apt-get purge", the configuration files should be removed automatically.

If not, most config files are hidden files in your /home folder. Open the folder and click "View - Show Hidden Files" from the toolbar to display the files. (Hidden files are designated by a leading dot [like this - .mozilla - which contains config files for Firefox and Thunderbird]).

Since these files are in your /home folder, they may be removed by simply right clicking on the folder and clicking "Move to Trash" from the menu.

Return to “Software & Applications”