Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Sokraates
Level 1
Level 1

Re: The MASTER KDE CE update thread!

Post by Sokraates » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:03 pm

Hi, Boo!

If you contemplate switching to backported versions of KDE4 and won't rule out the possibility of a release of KDE CE 6 in late January or early February 2009, I suggest taking a look at KDE 4.2. At the moment there are no backported packages for Beta 1, however there will be for Beta 2 in mid-December.

I'm currently using the nightlies built by Project Neon and the stability is rather astounding for a Beta 1 (I've been using KDE 4.x Alphas and Betas since the 3.9x times, so I know what to expect).

Most importantly, though, KDE 4.2 will (re)introduce some features, that have been most often (at least most vocally) named the reason NOT to switch from KDE 3.5.x: Folder-View that covers the whole desktop and panel auto-hiding (openSUSE has backported those features).

So if the release of KDE CE will happen late enough, considering KDE 4.2 may be worthwhile, especially to placate a rather vocal part of the KDE 3.5 advocates.

changturkey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by changturkey » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:01 pm

Backport 4.2? Or wait till 4.2 is out?

Rob Brill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rob Brill » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:33 am

[quote="Sokraates"]Hi, Boo!

If you contemplate switching to backported versions of KDE4 and won't rule out the possibility of a release of KDE CE 6 in late January or early February 2009, I suggest taking a look at KDE 4.2. At the moment there are no backported packages for Beta 1, however there will be for Beta 2 in mid-December.

I'm currently using the nightlies built by Project Neon and the stability is rather astounding for a Beta 1 (I've been using KDE 4.x Alphas and Betas since the 3.9x times, so I know what to expect).

Most importantly, though, KDE 4.2 will (re)introduce some features, that have been most often (at least most vocally) named the reason NOT to switch from KDE 3.5.x: Folder-View that covers the whole desktop and panel auto-hiding (openSUSE has backported those features).

So if the release of KDE CE will happen late enough, considering KDE 4.2 may be worthwhile, especially to placate a rather vocal part of the KDE 3.5 advocates.

/quote]

Hi,

I am not advocating any question in relation to kde 3.5 - I just wanted to say that if we wait a bit for the release of (how long? I don't Know)
Linux Mint KDE CE 6 may be opting for a version 4.2 beta 1 or 2 or the final version 4.2. Boo can be free to choose what he wants to do. Being repetitive, i just hope a good operating system. That's all we want. In last resort, we can make the upgrade to version 4.2 final by ourselves.

Regards
Roberto :wink:

rfpa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rfpa » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:36 pm

Kde 4.2 beta 1 really rocks! I imagine that 4.2 will be a tremedous turning point. I sincerely think that Mint with Kde 4.2 will be a MAJOR event. Let's wait for some news... :)

Keep the good work Boo.

knuckles
Level 3
Level 3

Post by knuckles » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:28 pm

Hello,
Question, where is it possible to download the beta version of Felicia KDE???

I would be happy to be a beta-tester.
Why: For me a PC is more a hobby than i need it to work. I'm very good in recovering my system, so i do not have fear to work with unstable systems.
I ask for the KDE-Edition because i realy like KDE4.X (for the moment only from openSUSE)
Sorry for my BAD English!!

Rob Brill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rob Brill » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:00 am

knuckles wrote:Hello,
Question, where is it possible to download the beta version of Felicia KDE???

I would be happy to be a beta-tester.
Why: For me a PC is more a hobby than i need it to work. I'm very good in recovering my system, so i do not have fear to work with unstable systems.
I ask for the KDE-Edition because i realy like KDE4.X (for the moment only from openSUSE)
Hi Knuckles,

So far, there is no (Mint KDE CE 6 Felicia) public iso for testing. Only an official iso of Mint KDE CE 5 ELyssa available for downloading.
KDE version 3.5.9 - Iso-size 1,2gb live/installable DVD.

Cheers

changturkey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by changturkey » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:12 pm

Any updates?

Sokraates
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sokraates » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:40 pm

Regarding my post about KDE 4.2 (referring to the packages provided by Project Neon), I have now tried the official Kubuntu packages for KDE 4.2 Beta 1 and am very disappointed.

I don't know whether I'm experiencing packaging errors (I guess I do) or whether my configutarion is screwing thing up, in any case plasma now crashes regularly, mostly when changing activities, reoganizing stuff on your desktop or when loging out. Yep, it's very bad-

Considering that I have had almost no crashes with the Project Neon packages (none after Beta 1 was released), the experience with between the two KDE 4.2 "flavours" is day and night.

Let's hope that the quality of the official packages improves signifficantly in the future.

changturkey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by changturkey » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:04 pm

Sokraates wrote:Regarding my post about KDE 4.2 (referring to the packages provided by Project Neon), I have now tried the official Kubuntu packages for KDE 4.2 Beta 1 and am very disappointed.

I don't know whether I'm experiencing packaging errors (I guess I do) or whether my configutarion is screwing thing up, in any case plasma now crashes regularly, mostly when changing activities, reoganizing stuff on your desktop or when loging out. Yep, it's very bad-

Considering that I have had almost no crashes with the Project Neon packages (none after Beta 1 was released), the experience with between the two KDE 4.2 "flavours" is day and night.

Let's hope that the quality of the official packages improves signifficantly in the future.
Project Neon packages are always newer than the Beta, even the same day ones. 4.2 will be a great release, just give it time.

On another note, will the MintTools in this release still be GTK based? I don't mind if they are GTK, I would just like to suggest using the QT-GTK style package to make GTK apps look more native in QT.

Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:30 am

Linux Mint 6 KDE4 DEV 050 is out for testing with the other developers.

hopefully I have most of the bugs out of it.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Sokraates
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sokraates » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:32 am

changturkey wrote:Project Neon packages are always newer than the Beta, even the same day ones. 4.2 will be a great release, just give it time.
I've been using Neon packages since way before Beta 1 and I've never had as many crashes as with the Kubuntu packages. Apart from that, I not only hope that KDE 4.2 will be great, I know it. I just hope that the quality of the Kubuntu packages will be on par with the qualiy of the release.
changturkey wrote:On another note, will the MintTools in this release still be GTK based? I don't mind if they are GTK, I would just like to suggest using the QT-GTK style package to make GTK apps look more native in QT.
To get the proper icons, you need to additionally install kcm-gtk-kde4.

changturkey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by changturkey » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:31 am

Boo wrote:Linux Mint 6 KDE4 DEV 050 is out for testing with the other developers.

Boo
2 Questions.

What is new with this release?

and

Will LM6 KDE be able to upgrade to LM7 KDE when it is released?

rfpa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rfpa » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:19 pm

changturkey wrote:
Boo wrote:Linux Mint 6 KDE4 DEV 050 is out for testing with the other developers.

Boo
2 Questions.

What is new with this release?

and

Will LM6 KDE be able to upgrade to LM7 KDE when it is released?
Just more two questions:

- Will Mint 6 KDE 4 be based on 4.1.3 or Kde 4.2 beta 1?
- Kde 4.2 beta 2 and kde 4.2 final will be released soon. Will it be hassless to update kde?

Thanks and keep the good work ;)

memewatch

Post by memewatch » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:58 pm

I wonder if there's any way to make this CE fits in a 700 Mb CD...

unfortunately downloading over 1 Gb is too much for those who have slow internet connection... like me :-(

locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:44 pm

memewatch wrote:I wonder if there's any way to make this CE fits in a 700 Mb CD...

unfortunately downloading over 1 Gb is too much for those who have slow internet connection... like me :-(
I doubt it. Mint 5 KDE came out on DVD-only, I wouldn't expect Mint 6 to be any different. The only way it could be done is to strip so much out of it that it would hardly be usable. Then you would have to doiwnload so much that you wouldn't have saved anything.

Stick with Mint Gnome. It's very usable (IMO).

rfpa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rfpa » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:27 am

Any news here?

Thanks & Keep the GW!

neomaxi23

Post by neomaxi23 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:32 pm

Mint 6 is coming out tommorrow with the upgrade tool to enable you to upgrade from version 5 to 6.

Will a similar tool be make avaiable to upgrade from 5 to 6 with KDE Mint users?

thanks!

Rob Brill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rob Brill » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:20 pm

Hi,

If this upgrade tool will be available to Mint KDE CE users i can run the risk of upgrading
from 5 to 6. I am running Mint KDE CE 5 Elyssa.

If the upgrade fails i do a fresh install for Mint KDE CE 6 Felicia. I have my data
and files always backed up.

For the Gnome Main Edition i can't run the risk because i am running version 6 Felicia upgraded RC1 .
(Mint tools). So, i am waiting for the final version. (iso).

Note: i've heard somewhere that KDE version 4.2 (final) will be ready in January/2009 .

Cheers

Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:36 am

there will be no update tool for mint 5 kde to mint 6 kde as this is a change from KDE3 to KDE4.

so looks like all the technical problems are gone (excluding upstream bugs).
Now I am just doing some final layout and art related config, eg gfxgrub, usplash, ksplash, theme....

Not long now.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:40 am

Boo,

Thank you sir. I am looking forward to it. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

Return to “KDE”