The MASTER KDE CE update thread!

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
blackmagic

Re: The MASTER KDE CE update thread!

Post by blackmagic » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:47 pm

Any chance of an optional Mint green theme ( both splash and desktop) in the new release ? I started with MintKDE 3 and love the green themes - the blue just doesn't do it for me (just a personal thing). Please don't suggest using the main distribution - to say I'm not fond of Gnome would be a gross understatement :-)

Cheers, Paul.

Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:11 pm

The new theme is green.
and the KDE mint logo is now green instead of blue.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:57 pm

....and the kicker panel? Green too, I hope? Dark green, Minty green?

whorider
Level 1
Level 1

Post by whorider » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:41 pm

Implementing KDE4 sounds like a pretty daunting task for the devs. So maybe heading over to kde-look and finding themes that you like might be easier:

http://www.kde-look.org/index.php?xcont ... 6906ba2492
Sony Vaio S1390x Arch Linux x64

blackmagic

Post by blackmagic » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:21 pm

Boo wrote:The new theme is green.
and the KDE mint logo is now green instead of blue.

Boo
That's excellent news Boo... and thanks for the great work, I'm looking forward to the new edition !

Zorael
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zorael » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:22 am

Just want to add that I've been using KDE 4.2b2 since the packages popped up on the kubuntu-experimental ppa and it's been a really smooth ride. I started off with a clean slate so no older KDE 4 settings or packages, and the only instability I've faced so far is with Dolphin that crashes every once in a blue moon.

Also, there's the thing with the video garbage that's yet to be resolved (since popping up in the first 4.0 betas). There is a workaround, but performance drops. See https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=170462 and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/254468. At least it's getting attention now.

changturkey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by changturkey » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:10 am

Any updates?

Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:54 pm

I hope to upload the latest DEV iso for testing tonight.
It is really an artwork and layout change, the silly season slowed things up a bit.

Boo

changturkey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by changturkey » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:06 pm

Boo wrote:I hope to upload the latest DEV iso for testing tonight.
It is really an artwork and layout change, the silly season slowed things up a bit.

Boo
Wait, so it's still KDE 3.5? Or is it KDE4?

auratux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by auratux » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:00 pm

KDE 4.2 should come by end of January, knowing it szhould be the equivalent of kde 3.5 application wise do you think it will be wise to put in the CE.

Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:02 am

So the dev discussion on mint 6 KDE is to have at least KDE 4.2 beta before releasing.
other points are to simplify the look/art, less apps (1 of) and hopefully put amarok 2 in.

the wait continues...

Boo

bernado
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bernado » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:48 am

I would like to see KDE 4.2 beta 2 in this Mint release. KDE 4.2 RC will be availiable approx. Jan 13th so this would be a good idea for a KDE Mint Beta as well for testing, and a Mint KDE final at the end of January when KDE 4.2 final will be ready. Changes from KDE 4.1 to 4.2 are tremendous and KDE 4.2 beta runs better than the "stable" KDE 4.1 (my personal experience of course). 8)

Happy New Year

Bernado

?

Post by ? » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:35 pm

Boo wrote:So the dev discussion on mint 6 KDE is to have at least KDE 4.2 beta before releasing.
other points are to simplify the look/art, less apps (1 of) and hopefully put amarok 2 in.

the wait continues...

Boo
You can already get those, they are available from Kubuntu PPAs.

bernado
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bernado » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:54 pm

Video Garbage Problem in Kubuntu

please read the following thread about the video problem in Kubuntu KDE 4 and the solution for it.

http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/?p=211

A patch that solves the problem is availiable from the PPA repository but could already be included in Mint KDE

Bernado

ujwal10101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ujwal10101 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:28 am

I'm a former Ubuntu user. After seeing the new technologies developed in KDE4 i thought i sholud give KDE a try. So i gave Linux Mint KDE 5 Elyssa a try to familiarize myself with the KDE interface. KDE really blows GNOME away. I really like Linux Mint because of its focus on out-of-the-box experience. But I have a question for Boo - do you intend to follow the Kubuntu release cycle or wait for the new KDE to come out every time (ie. the KDE release cycle). I really feel you should follow the the Kubuntu cycle as it gives us access to the latest repos (though for waiting for KDE 4.2 makes more sense).

Perhaps even more importantly, we get the newer kernel earlier. LM 5 KDE doesn't work on my SONY laptop (i get some busybox error). Even Ubuntu Ultimate 1.9 did not work properly. Both are based off Hardy. But Ubuntu 8.10 works perfectly fine with it(except the wireless). I think the problem lies with the kernel (don't have Ubuntu 8.04 around to confirm though). I really hope in the future LM KDE would be available within 2-3 weeks of the new Kubuntu.

locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:39 am

It usually is (following ubuntu, that is). Mint 6 default gnome was ready pretty fast. The KDE was delayed this time because it had already been decided months ago that Mint 6 KDE would start using 4.x instead of 3.5.x, and 4.1.x was deemed too unstable.

If you check distrowatch.com you can compare release dates between ubuntu and Mint. That should give you an idea how closely they are released

ujwal10101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ujwal10101 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:49 pm

Yes i know Mint GNOME comes out pretty fast. Pardon me if i'm wrong (i'm a new user) But according to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint#KDE the KDE version comes out roughly 4-5 months after the Kubuntu version. (this is not explicitly mentioned anywhere, but i compared it from the table in the article). Whereas Mint GNOME comes out only after 1 month after Ubuntu. It seems odd Mint KDE should take so much time.

knuckles
Level 3
Level 3

Post by knuckles » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:46 pm

the gnome edition is the main Edition an maintained by Clem himself, beside the KDE version is a CE (Community Edition). So the principal goal is to have a Main Edition, and after the CE edition's.
There exist already internal KDE-Beta's but they won't see the public. In an news it was written that Felicia KDE come with KDE4.2 so utile KDE4.2 is not final released you won't see public release.
Sorry for my BAD English!!

locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:21 pm

Now that you mention it, I think the plan was to release the main Gnome edition, the Gnome-64-bit edition and the KDE edition all at once. As it turned out, the main edition was delayed due to Clem moving, and the KDE was, and still is, delayed due to 4.1 being too unstable. Maybe by Mint 7 everything will be coordinated and released on time.

roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roadrash » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:16 am

I think it would have been better to stick with KDE 3.5 for the Linux Mint 6 KDE edition because by the time they finish KDE4.2 and its then incorporated into Mint, tested & then released as a final, Ubuntu would have released Jaunty Jackolope & it will be time for Linix Mint 7 to begin. It may be that if there are any more delays that Mint 6 KDE edition may have to be skipped altogether.
Last edited by roadrash on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “KDE”