Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
bernado
Level 1
Level 1

Re: The MASTER KDE CE update thread!

Post by bernado »

Video Garbage Problem in Kubuntu

please read the following thread about the video problem in Kubuntu KDE 4 and the solution for it.

http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/?p=211

A patch that solves the problem is availiable from the PPA repository but could already be included in Mint KDE

Bernado

ujwal10101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ujwal10101 »

I'm a former Ubuntu user. After seeing the new technologies developed in KDE4 i thought i sholud give KDE a try. So i gave Linux Mint KDE 5 Elyssa a try to familiarize myself with the KDE interface. KDE really blows GNOME away. I really like Linux Mint because of its focus on out-of-the-box experience. But I have a question for Boo - do you intend to follow the Kubuntu release cycle or wait for the new KDE to come out every time (ie. the KDE release cycle). I really feel you should follow the the Kubuntu cycle as it gives us access to the latest repos (though for waiting for KDE 4.2 makes more sense).

Perhaps even more importantly, we get the newer kernel earlier. LM 5 KDE doesn't work on my SONY laptop (i get some busybox error). Even Ubuntu Ultimate 1.9 did not work properly. Both are based off Hardy. But Ubuntu 8.10 works perfectly fine with it(except the wireless). I think the problem lies with the kernel (don't have Ubuntu 8.04 around to confirm though). I really hope in the future LM KDE would be available within 2-3 weeks of the new Kubuntu.

locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

It usually is (following ubuntu, that is). Mint 6 default gnome was ready pretty fast. The KDE was delayed this time because it had already been decided months ago that Mint 6 KDE would start using 4.x instead of 3.5.x, and 4.1.x was deemed too unstable.

If you check distrowatch.com you can compare release dates between ubuntu and Mint. That should give you an idea how closely they are released

ujwal10101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ujwal10101 »

Yes i know Mint GNOME comes out pretty fast. Pardon me if i'm wrong (i'm a new user) But according to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint#KDE the KDE version comes out roughly 4-5 months after the Kubuntu version. (this is not explicitly mentioned anywhere, but i compared it from the table in the article). Whereas Mint GNOME comes out only after 1 month after Ubuntu. It seems odd Mint KDE should take so much time.

knuckles
Level 3
Level 3

Post by knuckles »

the gnome edition is the main Edition an maintained by Clem himself, beside the KDE version is a CE (Community Edition). So the principal goal is to have a Main Edition, and after the CE edition's.
There exist already internal KDE-Beta's but they won't see the public. In an news it was written that Felicia KDE come with KDE4.2 so utile KDE4.2 is not final released you won't see public release.
Sorry for my BAD English!!

locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

Now that you mention it, I think the plan was to release the main Gnome edition, the Gnome-64-bit edition and the KDE edition all at once. As it turned out, the main edition was delayed due to Clem moving, and the KDE was, and still is, delayed due to 4.1 being too unstable. Maybe by Mint 7 everything will be coordinated and released on time.

roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roadrash »

I think it would have been better to stick with KDE 3.5 for the Linux Mint 6 KDE edition because by the time they finish KDE4.2 and its then incorporated into Mint, tested & then released as a final, Ubuntu would have released Jaunty Jackolope & it will be time for Linix Mint 7 to begin. It may be that if there are any more delays that Mint 6 KDE edition may have to be skipped altogether.
Last edited by roadrash on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 »

roadrash wrote:I think it would have been better to stick with KDE 3.5 for the Linux Mint 6 KDE edition
I agree that KMint should stick with 3.5.x and just chuck Kcrud 4.x, its not any where near ready for prime time.
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 »

roadrash wrote:I think it would have been better to stick with KDE 3.5 for the Linux Mint 6 KDE edition
I agree that KMint should stick with 3.5.x and just chuck Kcrud 4.x, its not any where near ready for prime time.
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....

locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

roadrash wrote:I think it would have been better to stick with KDE 3.5 for the Linux Mint 6 KDE edition because by the time they finish KDE4.2 and its then incorporated into Mint, tested & then released as a final, Ubuntu would have released Jaunty Jackolope & it will be time for Linix Mint 7 to begin. It may be that if there are any more delays that Mint 6 KDE edition may have to be skipped altogether.
I was thinking the same thing!

barmalini

Post by barmalini »

I would be happy with any release, be it alpha, beta, zeta o theta, whatever, but give it now and make an update later.
Why can't I have a pre-release on my sheer responsibility, I wouldn't mind the bugs. I just want to see the new KDE on my beloved Mint.
Can I download it somewhere? Or I better stick with openSUSE if I want to have the bleeding edge KDE?

locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

I'm not seeing any repositories listed that have the 4.2 packages. The ones they do list either don't have anything from 4.2 or if they do, it's just for downloading each package separately to be compiled. Anybody else having any luck finding a repository to put in Synaptic?

locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

Still haven't found any kubuntu repositories but I found the debian repsitories (4) here:

http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/experimental.html

So they will install (all 1488 of them!). Will they break the system? Maybe, I'll see when it's finished. It's an experiment, anyway, so if it does break I haven't lost anything except a few hours...

EDIT: yeah, it broke. I guess I'll wait for Boo's release.
Last edited by locutus on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rfpa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rfpa »

So, Kde 4.2 is out and it looks amazing! When will we see Mint 6 Kde beta?

Keep the good work! :)

Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

I'm updating to 4.2 now.
I also have to do a new usplash.
Then upload for testing.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

rfpa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rfpa »

It sounds like we have a good release around the corner. ;) I'll wait patiently. eheheh

Keep the good work!

locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

dberg918 wrote:
locutus wrote:Still haven't found any kubuntu repositories...
Is this what you're looking for?
Possibly. I didn't read that far down the page because it started out instructing users to turn on universe & multiverse repositories etc which is for kubuntu users only. They've stated similar things before while giving no information on how to add repos to the sources.list, so I ignored 3/4 of that page.

Olaf

Konqueror in 4.2 Multimedia

Post by Olaf »

Hello boo,

just a question: Will all the multimedia stuff be enabled in Firefox only - or will Konqueror in KDE 4.2 / Mint 6 also be able
to do Flash,Java, Videos etc. of all kinds out of the box? I think Konqueror is a nice browser (sometimes "misunderestimated" - as the soon forgotten "W" would say )
and is also better integrated with KDE.
And by the way, I tip my hat - it seems you do the heavy lifting all alone.

Waiting for your answer - and patiently for the release. Thank you so much for all your efforts!
Greetz from Munich, Germany
Olaf

marxmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marxmint »

Hi, mint team and users. I was just wondering if it would not be a good idea to have both KDE 3.5 and 4.2 as options when KDE Felicia comes out, so that everybody would be happy. Hope it's not too late. Um abraço (a hug in Brazilian Portuguese)

Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Im testing what i hope will be the RC.
next is to upload it for exploder and team to test.
so hopefully not long now.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Return to “KDE”