Post by geewee »

Ohhh, this made my day! Can't wait until I get home... :D
whorider
Level 1
Level 1

Re: The MASTER KDE CE update thread!

Post by whorider »

locutus wrote:
Thank you whorider. You obviously watch these forums even closer than we do. Welcome (& post more often :) )
Thanks for the welcome locutus.

Beautiful release! (posting on it right now). Very stable, you can tell a lot or work was put into this rc. Installed perfectly (otb) on my Dell XPS M1330 (Nvidia 8800GT, wireless intel wifi 5300). Wow. I blew away my Arch (Gnome) and am very impressed. Congrats mint-dev team.
Sony Vaio S1390x Arch Linux x64
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

aviynw wrote:Will this rc most likely be able to be updated to the main release or will we have to do another clean install?
It can go either way, but usually its been thoroughly tested enough to just upgrade a bit, sometimes not even that much. Mint's RC-1's often turn out to be judged to be final. It has to be a *real* showstopper bug to require a new install.
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Thanks for the tip - but can't get on there either. Presumably, once you posted the link, the world tried to climb on. Is there no torrent? We could all help each or then?

This is killing me :lol:
whorider
Level 1
Level 1

Post by whorider »

Sony Vaio S1390x Arch Linux x64
DaJinx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DaJinx »

Nope, installer recognized all my disks but the whole installation process was slower then molasses. I also noticed something else annoying everytime the system boots it runs fsck and takes forever.

Other than those minor annoyances the system is wonderful so thanks for all the hard work put forth KDE CE team!!
Bagheera
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bagheera »

I'm downloading that. It's 1,1 gb... nobody know why it's so large?

i'm very happy, thanks a lot.

i'll post my experience.
sagasha1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sagasha1 »

I have installed it and it is great! Was using SUSE 11.1 but KDE 4.2 was always crashing, not with Mint! Great job Boo and team!
jasmac
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jasmac »

For those in Australia and are using Internode it is available via their mirror service

Cheers Jason

http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/linuxmint/testing/
Dell D810, 2000mb ram, pentium M, ATI 128mb
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dlkreations »

As of this post, I am running the RC1 in LiveDVD mode, and for the most part am quite pleased with it. It will be very hard for me to give up my Main edition though. So far however, I have not had any crashes with Plasmoids like I have with "other" distros, namely OpenSUSE. Heck even Kubuntu gave me a ton of headaches.

I tell ya, the Mint dev team does a great job and takes their time making their flavour of Linux work wonderfully. Kudos to you guys! Your tag line definitely lives up to its standards: From Freedom Came Elegance. Couldn't have said it any better!
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
Rob Brill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rob Brill »

Hi,

Too bad...i don't like things working this way. So i will not download KDE CE 6 RC1
No official announcement on the blog and for me is very confortable wait for the final KDE CE 6
Felicia release. I am running KDE CE 5 Elyssa. One month more, it doesn't make
any difference for me.

Roberto
cedric
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cedric »

Hi

This my first time to post on LinuxMint forums !

I'm french, and I'm using since July LinuxMint, and I have to say that all of the team is so great, fantastic job ! Thank you all.

I've been waiting for a long time for this kde release, because I was under gnome for stability reasons, but I wanted to use such programs as digikam. And opera was not running well on gnome.

I've just install this RC edition, and as I am not used to kde, it's quite a new desktop for me ... But I have great feeling : the install succeeded with no problem, it works nicely on my eeebox 202 !

the only thing I'd like to change but I don't find, is how to change the color of the task bar, because Ireally don't like the blue one, i would prefer to go back to black standard kde. If someone knows I would be so pleased.

Thank you so much for the great job, and sorry for my english !
For french speaking drummers : www.latoiledesbatteurs.com
cedric
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cedric »

Hi again, I've noticed some bugs (or maybe there are no bugs but I may have done things badly) :

:arrow: When I want to add plasmoides (all of them : show desktop, weather etc ...), it tells something like that :

"'unable to load the widget, could not find the component : frame"

:arrow: Other thing, when I want to launch the alterego of gedit in su mode, , I open a terminal and type :

sudo kate

Kate launches and I can do whatever I want, like editing fstab for example, but in the terminal I have a list of errors :
Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-cedric" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
Error: "/tmp/kde-cedric" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
Error: "/tmp/ksocket-cedric" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
kate(6987) KToolInvocation::klauncher: klauncher not running... launching kdeinit
kdeinit4: Shutting down running client.
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/klauncher
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/kded4
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/kbuildsycoca4
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/kbuildsycoca4
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kconf_update
kdeinit4: preparing to launch
:arrow: I've managed to have a nice task bar, it's transparent and looking very nice, I don't know how I've managed to have it, maybe when I changed some theme to see ...

A friend of mine told me that it was much better to use KDE to have KDE softwares working much better, it's really true, it's a pleasure to use Digikam, opera in KDE, faster and no bugs, than in Gnome.

But I have to say that gnome is easier to make the transition than KDE when switching from Windows to Linux ! But KDE is much complete and beautiful.

Thank you so much Boo !
For french speaking drummers : www.latoiledesbatteurs.com
dafi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dafi »

cedric wrote:the only thing I'd like to change but I don't find, is how to change the color of the task bar, because Ireally don't like the blue one, i would prefer to go back to black standard kde. If someone knows I would be so pleased.
For the moment i'm back to kde 3.5, but I think it was something like:
Click on the cashew in the upper right corner and choose the third or the forth option, there you could change the color and the appearance, I think the first entry was a transparent one (something like air...) (sry I tried it yesterday at 2am and do not remember all.)

But one (or two) color-suggestion(s):
Perhaps you could make the standard color theme one of the two minty ones. I dislike that the whole window background is mint, but its a good start (and you could also change things by yourself), and Linux Mint will look like Mint and not like something else :-)
But than the taskbar should also have another color :-) (don't know which one, perhaps black or also mint??, but blue looks ugly in combination with the mint color theme).
And baaaaaaaaaad that the bootscreen is also blue not mint...
big_dog1968
Level 4
Level 4

Post by big_dog1968 »

I installed Mint KDE and all went well. The updates took a while, but also went well.

I used Envy to install the proprietary driver and the installation went well, but when I rebooted, I discovered that the menu bar (the bottom panel), no longer stretches across the bottom of the screen. Instead it leaves a gap to the right of the bar. I have a wide screen monitor. Is there a way to restore it how it was before - stretching all the way across? Thanks.
zole052
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zole052 »

esprout wrote:I just tried installing to my hard disk, but the disk partitioner did not recognize any of my disks out of the box...
Same problem :(
p10
Level 2
Level 2

Post by p10 »

Have been running RC1 on my virtualbox all morning. Have not experienced any major bugs yet. Will be running it on my virtualbox all weekend. If I don't run into some big problems it will be installed on my testpartition next week.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

Everything has gone *very* smoothly, no bugs, all configured to my liking.

Boo (and Clem, Exploder, et al): where was the distrowatch announcement? My thinking goes that every release should be announced so we can get more exposure / more excitement that things are progressing.

Look at Ubuntu: 5 alpha's, 3 beta's, 1 or more RC and a Final, all announced. But really, who cares about any of the Alpha's? Hardly anybody will download and try to use one yet the announcement is made anyway. On distrowatch at least, this in-your-face system of one announcements every 2 weeks seems to have worked well, propelling them to 1st spot and maintaining it.

My 3 cents worth (inflation).

Return to “KDE”