The MASTER KDE CE update thread!

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Re: The MASTER KDE CE update thread!

Post by locutus » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:31 pm

I've reinstalled 044 and will post again if I can duplicate the possible bug I mentioned earlier.

locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:16 pm

Well, I've finished re-installing & configuring & adding all the packages I had added before the sound problem started happening, and everything is OK. So I don't know what happened but since I can't reproduce it, ignore it I suppose unless other people start reporting it.

locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:05 pm

rec9140 wrote: HPLIP - Updated and Supports HP C7280 :D :D
I also have the HP C7280 but it wasn't listed in my install.

Which settings did you use? The TCP or IPP/HTTP? or Other???

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:48 pm

locutus wrote:I also have the HP C7280 but it wasn't listed in my install.

Which settings did you use? The TCP or IPP/HTTP? or Other???
I ran the HPLIP tool, selected network/wireless and it found the printer/fax/scanner fine, and then did its thing.

My is connected via the built in wireless.

Printing was fine. I did not have time to play with it for scanning or fax. I will test it again when I return home on the weekend.

The earlier version of the HPLIP was too old to have support for the C7280.

locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:45 pm

Great! The new 2.8.7 worked just as you said. Thanks!

big_dog1968
Level 4
Level 4

Problem with Krusader

Post by big_dog1968 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:44 pm

When I am in Krusader, I cannot see or mount any of the ntfs partitions I created. I can see and mount them in konqueror (which I don't much like or use), but not in Krusader. Anybody know why?

locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Problem with Krusader

Post by locutus » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:16 am

big_dog1968 wrote:When I am in Krusader, I cannot see or mount any of the ntfs partitions I created.
You'll probably have to create the file (eg: sda6) using Krusader in root mode. F7 is the key to create a file. If that doesn't do the trick on its own then you'll have to manually add it to /etc/fstab; just ignore the UUID crap and use "/dev/sda6 /media/sda6 ntfs relatime 0 0" (those are zeros, not o's). If that *still* doesn't work, reboot and try again, and reload the page.

Also, using Krusader make sure it's configured to AutoMount Filesystems in the Advanced section.

big_dog1968
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Problem with Krusader

Post by big_dog1968 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:05 pm

locutus wrote:
big_dog1968 wrote:When I am in Krusader, I cannot see or mount any of the ntfs partitions I created.
You'll probably have to create the file (eg: sda6) using Krusader in root mode. F7 is the key to create a file. If that doesn't do the trick on its own then you'll have to manually add it to /etc/fstab; just ignore the UUID crap and use "/dev/sda6 /media/sda6 ntfs relatime 0 0" (those are zeros, not o's). If that *still* doesn't work, reboot and try again, and reload the page.

Also, using Krusader make sure it's configured to AutoMount Filesystems in the Advanced section.
I had already tried to go the fstab route, but it had not worked, and then I figured out the problem. You see I was trying to mount the partitions in the music, pictures...etc folders in the home directory. That way, when I run xp, they are there for me to use as well. What I did not know was that fstab is case sensitive when it comes to the folder names, and I had not capitalized the folder names for all the entries. As a result, it would not mount them no matter what. Once I capitalized the folder names, I was good to go.

Thanks for the help.

akshunj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by akshunj » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:47 pm

Obviously RC1 is out now, so please report bugs in the appropriate thread so Boo doesn't have to chase them down.

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=0&t=15612

--Akshun J

roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roadrash » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:51 am

akshunj wrote:Obviously RC1 is out now, so please report bugs in the appropriate thread so Boo doesn't have to chase them down.

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=0&t=15612

--Akshun J
I must admit I wasn't sure where the discovered bugs should be reported because this is a forum for KDE CE & the other was an announcement. At least now its clear. Maybe next time put a mention in the announcement to inform where you want people to post bug reports. I don't see a lot of real serious problems being reported so its looking good.

deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:42 pm

Hi all,

I was just wondering if theres any news on the progress of Elyssa KDE CE stable??

I'm not trying to be pushy, just haven't heard anything in a while :D

Cheers,

Deadguy

miltonjohn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by miltonjohn » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:28 pm

The Devs fight against Hackers and so on, so i think they are to busy now to develop ;)

Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:03 pm

Well the news is that RC1 will become the stable.
Yes there were some bugs found but I can not reproduce them or they are a "feature".

Also the only bugs that can be investigated are on systems with a clean install, no updates applied.

Anyway you may be happy to hear that Mint 6 KDE will be based on KDE 4.n and change its repos from Ubuntu to Kubuntu.

Oh and I am currently building the mint 5 miniKDE iso.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:15 pm

Thanks for the update Boo :D

and also thanks for all the hard work you put into Mint KDE!
great job as always.

Mint 6 with KDE 4.n?

you just made my day!!

Cheers,

Deadguy

yhtomitwebb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yhtomitwebb » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:32 pm

Anyway you may be happy to hear that Mint 6 KDE will be based on KDE 4.n and change its repos from Ubuntu to Kubuntu.
YIPEE!!!

When that happens I will hopefully finally be able to go back to KDE after having used GNOME for too long.

I eagerly await Mint KDE 6 (impatiently).

roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roadrash » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:39 am

Well the news is that RC1 will become the stable.
Yes there were some bugs found but I can not reproduce them or they are a "feature".
Does this mean that the RC1 that I downladed is identical to the Final or are there any changes on the final?

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:18 pm

Boo wrote: Anyway you may be happy to hear that Mint 6 KDE will be based on KDE 4.n
Personally, NO this does not make me very happy. I have ZERO plans to move to 4.x any time in the near or short term future. When 4.x is
at the level of 3.5.x AND they drop completely their "rethink" on how I should use MY PC I'll review it again. Till then KDE 3.5.x is where I will be staying. Quite honestly if I wanted KvistacrapDE on my pc I would have stayed with winslop.
Boo wrote: and change its repos from Ubuntu to Kubuntu.
I am sure this probably has a great deal of effect on your work, BUT..... The last round of Kubuntu fell on its face. Last release of Kubuntu didn't even boot for me on numerous machines, plus all the bugs found......This to me seems to be a bad idea.

Boo wrote: Oh and I am currently building the mint 5 miniKDE iso.
Great, now lets fill up that 3GB+ of free space... :D

KMyMoney with FULL OFX support, ie: Direct download from banks...please. :D
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....

freedom
Level 2
Level 2

Post by freedom » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:09 pm

rec9140 wrote:
Boo wrote: Anyway you may be happy to hear that Mint 6 KDE will be based on KDE 4.n
Personally, NO this does not make me very happy. I have ZERO plans to move to 4.x any time in the near or short term future. When 4.x is
at the level of 3.5.x AND they drop completely their "rethink" on how I should use MY PC I'll review it again. Till then KDE 3.5.x is where I will be staying. Quite honestly if I wanted KvistacrapDE on my pc I would have stayed with winslop.
Agreed.

I would rather stay with the current version of KDE and still have control over my GUI. than go to 4.x and feel restricted like I do with windows or Gnome, XFCE etc.
The reason I stick with KDE versions is because of the freedom and ability to set my desktop up the way I like. If 4.x were to be used and I was not able to set my KDE install up the way I want it, I would have to migrate to another Linux distro that has not made the change to 4.x.

This would make me very sad as I like Mint very much and share it with everyone I can.

To Boo.

You do a great job on the KDE CE releases, they are true masterpieces. PLEASE do not move to a version of KDE that the users can not have the same amount of freedom in that we currently have. I would rather have a new kernel and the current KDE than a new kernel and the new KDE that I can not control. I would feel like I am bound to Gnome. Which I'm sure is a fine GUI but just does not work for me.

ronnoc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ronnoc » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:54 pm

Akshun -

I'd be happy to help how I can. Please PM me with how this might be possible. Thanks.

Eddie G. Wilson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eddie G. Wilson » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:01 am

What a lot of people do not realize is that Kde 4.x.x will become the defacto standard in the future. Kde will finally drop support for anything that is not Kde 4.x.x and will stop development on earlier versions. Where does that leave the users who say they will not migrate to Kde 4? Well you won't be able to switch to another distro because Kde 4 will be adopted by all. Those who refuse to evolve will have to use another desktop manager. At the present time I'm not tickled with Kde 4 either but I will evolve when the time comes and I'm sure, just like the Mint KDE is now, we will have a first rate Kde 4 desktop manager. As far as switching to the Kubuntu repositories from the Ubuntu repositories, thats the way it should be. There won't be anymore problems with one than there is the other. Kubuntu is very stable and useable for a lot of people so the last release of Kubuntu did not fall on its face. Anyway I'm sure that Boo will not release junk. LinuxMint KDE CE will always be a first rate disrto and everyone should realize that now. Looking forward to the future! :mrgreen:

Eddie
Linux Registered User #490719

Return to “KDE”