Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
sdsoldi
Level 1
Level 1

How to remove KDE completely in Mint 15 KDE ISO

Post by sdsoldi » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:28 pm

Hi,
I'm new in a forum and I have one problem with KDE setup.

Already I have installed KDE and Cinnamon. Cinnamon it's works fine for me and I'm going to remove completely my KDE desktop. I see a lot of post with this info, but they are to old o they have nonexistent packages. How can I remove all KDE desktop with KDE config files?

Thanks!

*My english is so bad. Sorry for that.

bigj231
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to remove KDE completely in Mint 15 KDE ISO

Post by bigj231 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:23 pm

If you want to remove all the config files, you will need to use "Purge" instead of "Remove". Removing the configuration files will not give you much more disk space, but could make it much more difficult to reinstall.
I found this blog post, but you must edit the commands a bit instead of just copy-pasting (unless you want unity-desktop installed). [url]http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/tag/pure-ubuntu/[/url] Be sure to read the warnings on that site as well.

To be completely honest, it's usually much faster and easier to reinstall from the Main Edition ISO. Also, since you aren't having any issues, removing KDE will most likely create some and only give you a few GB free disk space in return. If you can wait a few months (maybe) Mint 16 will be released so you can upgrade and completely remove KDE at the same time.
Running on a 4-slot toaster @ 60Hz

sdsoldi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sdsoldi » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:32 am

Thanks for your response.

I have a lot of Gb in hd. This is not the problem. My problem is that I have some aplications with Qt appearance. Thunderbird, mint configuration, firefox, and some more. Reinstall system is not viable for me. I'm going to see the blog :)

In other post I found this code: sudo apt-get remove -f kde4*
This command remove a lot of kde dependences and aplications. And to remove other kde packages I can search with this command: dpkg -l | grep kde. Seeing this command I can remove rest of packages. But I'm not sure that.

Again thanks for your response.

bigj231
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bigj231 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:54 am

I usually reccommend against using the -f option with apt-get. It's pretty likely to break stuff if you arent careful, and usually isn't needed. Also, that grep will only list files with "kde" in it's name or description. Don't forget about the calligra office suite and other applications like amarok (which I think is the best desktop media player on any system) that are not included in that list..

That blog post I linked is essentially a list of applications included by default in Kubuntu but not Ubuntu. You will most likely need to modify those commands a bit to get them to work.
Running on a 4-slot toaster @ 60Hz

Return to “KDE”