Major KDE Developer Says Goodbye to Ubuntu

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
bkovacs
Level 1
Level 1

Major KDE Developer Says Goodbye to Ubuntu

Post by bkovacs »

Clem what does this mean for Mint KDE edition and Netrunner?. Also tell me Clem if Mint KDE doesn't get released until after Kubuntu, which who knows, may go away, or change bases in the future, than support cycle is less than 9 months. What good is a distro, that many Mint KDE fans love, if it is only supported for less than 9 months?. Should the default install auto create a home folder as default for the sake of frequent re-installs. Rather than just a root folder as being the default configuration.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Major-KDE-Developer-Says-Goodbye-to-Ubuntu-396429.shtml

KDE and Canonical Conflict over Mir Finally Bursts into the Open

http://news.softpedia.com/news/KDE-and-Canonical-Conflict-Over-Mir-Finally-Bursts-into-Open-396651.shtml

RavenLX
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Major KDE Developer Says Goodbye to Ubuntu

Post by RavenLX »

That don't sound good. I love KDE. I use KDE-based applications like Kedit and Amarok. I rely on them. Now I wonder what I'll do if they break off and Mint no longer can make a KDE version.

Or, will Mint break off from Ubuntu as Mir takes hold? Or maybe will Ubuntu not make Mir mandatory? I honestly don't know what's going on. In fact, until that article you posted a link to, I had no idea what the heck Mir actually was! (The article says it's the window display system, like xserver and xorg).

I just hope whatever happens, I can still use an Ubuntu-based Distro and that it will still be Mint.

kash123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kash123 »

I would very much like to hear more from you on this subject.I can see that you have an expertise on this topic.

phill1978
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phill1978 »

I too would also like to know. Im a big KDE fan. Over the last two years i have tried many DE's and run their full options exploring their stability and configurability only two stand out but for me there is one with a foot over the line and that is KDE, the other is XFCE.

Both (today, perhaps not in the past) can be run light under 400MB at idle easily enough with XFCE taking half of that but offering less initial warmth to the new user. On todays hardware with laptops being supplied with 8GB RAM and in some cases 16GB RAM! we should be satisfied that a machine with a fast dual core or even faster 4 core can run all Linux DE's ... and we are ! so thumbs up. But what KDE offers over Unity is customisation of look + a feeling that it is stable and for the power user too.

The key is once upon a time a Linux Distro was for the low powered atom / netbook user at home or for the server market at work. But now especially with gaming taking off there is a much larger market of people with SERIOUSLY powerfull hardware using linux so do we all need Enlightenment or XFCE anymore? And if we want choice do we want the ugly forced & somewhat Alien Gnome3 / Unity ? The answer is NO.

I Think sadly the Mint team will be Weak this time round, they choose cinnamon as their main DE and this keeps them on the Ubuntu ecosystem (even though canoical devs slapped Cinnamon devs in the face recently)

It is time to take a Side MINT Team .. That side should be X.server 1.5 and above or Wayland and moving to Debian the rewards will be much greater AND the community will follow as there is a very cold feeling towards ubuntu

You have the power (politically) right now to sever from Mir / Canoical and Go With Debian + Wayland and be the Main Linux Goto OS of choice (beyond SteamOS i would imagine in the future)

Just make your choice soon, as many people find out in the end that KDE offers exactly what they really want from a modern desktop once they move from XFCE, MATE style lighter desktops to something more "useably" modern

RavenLX
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RavenLX »

I manage Ubuntu web servers at work, which is why I got an Ubuntu based distro for my home laptop (I work form home) because of the similarities and the fact I can do stuff and test stuff without having to always fire up a test server in a virtual machine. If Mint moves away from Ubuntu, it means firing up a virtual server for stuff and that can get cumbersome to deal with. But in the end sometimes I have to use a virtual machine test server configured exactly like the work servers anyway so in that maybe I do have the freedom to use *anything* instead of just Ubuntu based. I'm most familiar with Ubuntu from work so I went with what I was familiar with. If Mint goes just Debian (which Ubuntu is based on, I suppose?) I hope it won't be too much difference? Is the difference in the GUI stuff? At work it's all command line, no GUI so I could go anything in the GUI dept. but I prefer to run KDE (and thus whatever KDE runs well in would be just fine by me).

I haven't really experimented much with Mint Cinnamon and MATE since last year and then only briefly to find it didn't run well in a virtual machine in VirtualBox in Windows 8 (what I was using a year ago). So I went with Mint KDE as that worked out enough to prompt me to make a switch.

I did try Ubuntu/Unity distro and I was like "What were they thinking !!" I hated it. Reminded me of Windows 8 and it was kinda difficult (in that it was totally unfamiliar) to navigate and use.

KDE also has great programs I like to use like Amarok, Kate, K3b, Kaffiene (the only way I can watch RedBox rentals), Ardour, and KMail (which I use for testing). I especially would be lost without Amarok and Kaffiene! I also really grown accustomed to Dolphin file manager (I have Krusader but prefer the non-clutter of Dolphin for most things). And I have a few great extensions for Dolphin for creating password protected zip files, and KRename which I like to use a lot. So I really don't want to have to find other things to replace those great utilties and programs.

I hope Mint keeps putting out a KDE version for many years in the future as that is what I'm most familiar with. I guess I could learn something new (had to when I went from Windows 8 to Linux anyway) but it does take time and getting used to. Having KDE eased that process tremendously for me.

mhwelsh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mhwelsh »

Pst - try Solydk.

js3915
Level 3
Level 3

Post by js3915 »

Dont think will change anything in the mint camp. Perhaps only if they didnt want to maintain a pre-packaged KDE release.

phill1978
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phill1978 »

mhwelsh wrote:Pst - try Solydk.
trying it now thanks :D

Orbmiser
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep me happy with SolydK KDE version.

About SolydXK
A bit of history

You find SolydXK’s roots in another great distribution: Linux Mint.

There were two distributions which I liked very much: Linux Mint KDE and Linux Mint Debian Edition. There were once rumors that the two would merge, but unfortunately that didn’t happen. So, I decided to make my own distribution. First as a tutorial in the forum, but later it became known as “The unofficial LMDE KDE”. When Linux Mint dropped their LMDE Xfce edition, I started that one from scratch and “The unofficial LMDE Xfce” was born.

Both these editions were mainly created with the help of the community. Without them they simply wouldn’t exist. Especially with the Xfce edition where the community decided which software was to be included and which software not. So, these distributions are really community driven.

When it became clear that the unofficial editions were not going to become official I decided to take the next step and let these great distributions stand on their own two feet and the unofficials got their proper names: SolydX and SolydK.

SolydXK will not forget its roots. SolydXK and Linux Mint closely work together to make our distributions even better.

Schoelje,
14/02/2013
Finding it a Better fit for me than Mint KDE 15 version I was using before.

MartianStorm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MartianStorm »

There's nothing surprising in the further segmentation of the Linux world, it's not an accident Debian itself is planning to transition away to FreeBSD kernel to leave this mess behind. It might sound weird here, but this mentality that if you don't like something you just fork another for yourself has more negative outcomes than positive.

RavenLX
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RavenLX »

mhwelsh wrote:Pst - try Solydk.
You shouldn't have said that! LOL! Seriously, I tried it on a bootable Live USB and I actually liked it better than Mint! :oops: Don't get me wrong... I do love Mint and hope for all the best with it. But if SolydXK is such that I don't ever have to reinstall to update things or upgrade, then that for me works out much better! Also my SD card worked without my having to install special drivers (Mint 14 - I had to install RealTek drivers). The Software Manager works when clicked on from Computer category in the start menu. In Linux Mint 14 it doesn't. Also if I click on the Trash Can widget I put in my system tray, it pops up Dolphin with the Trash folder visible. I get a not found error if I tried to do that in Mint 14.

I think Mint is great. But SolydXK is actually looking very very good and tempting. I would feel guilty if I jumped ship. Not sure what to do at this point. I have Linux Mint badges on both my laptops (from ThinkPenguin.com). I donated a little to Mint because I've been using Mint for nearly a year and love it.

But this SolydXK... It rocks! Not sure if I want to go that route or try for a Mint 17 LTS. I really like the idea of not ever having to reinstall though.

phill1978
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phill1978 »

How do you pronounce it ?

Solydk is great :D As good as mint. I couldnt spot the update manager that supplies me with my bi-yearly desktop breakages? hmm :lol:

Id like in reality for this to move to BSD also and support ZFS, but as it stands a stable Linux distro + KDE is a win. It has all the right programs plus lucky backup which is missing from Mint

I too feel guilty ive supported mint for years but if they Dont release a KDE version and eventually choose Wayland then i dont think i can stay with them. Canoical are going for a actual product to almost sell .. this is anti linux and is causing fractures in the eco system that linux doesnt need. Ubuntu could wipe out Mint !

Seen as cinnamon is crashing every few hours with Catalyst drivers on compositing tasks i will probably have to move in the next few days if there is no KDE news..

*also such a wise move choosing XFCE + KDE. The two most stable and efficient desktop environments going 8)

RavenLX
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RavenLX »

I have another guilt-trip going on as well: At work we use Ubuntu servers. I do admit they are stable, hearty servers and are very reliable. We have a good 100% uptime most all of the time. I don't think I'd want to change the distro for the servers and the boss is luckily one of those that doesn't go jumping on an upgrade binge every time drama happens or the Next Best Thing comes out. If it's still supported, we stick to it. Saves *me* tons of time trying to upgrade and move all our customers over! So I don't see us moving away from Ubuntu anytime soon.

However, I've caught wind of some not very happy with Canonical/Ubuntu. I really like Ubuntu (guess from my experiences with the servers) but after I tried Cinnamon and Unity in Ubuntu it really turned me off as for a desktop environment. I didn't really get too into Kubuntu but what I did use it for (trying it out, basically) it was ok. But I think I still had to fight to get a couple things to work. Mint I had almost no problems at all getting things to work. SolydK even more worked out of the box than with Mint 14 (maybe more works in Mint 16 - I admit I didn't try as I was waiting for 17 LTS).

If it weren't for SolydK, I would probably be sticking to Mint. Right now I'm in a try-the-live-USB stage with SolydK. If it really turns out good, I probably will be changing over raw install sometime in the next couple weeks. We'll see.

As for display managers, I don't really care what it uses as long as the thing works! LOL! I've heard the names Wayland, Mir, Xorg and X11. I think wasn't X11 the original and Xorg was the fork? Now I can't even keep track!

I think what it ultimately boils down to is what actually works on your computer. Because computers differ, it may be that one distro or Desktop Environment or display manager may work better than another. The nice thing is that we have many to choose from to find the right one. That's also the bad part - too many choices can lead to confusion (especially to newbies coming from years-long upbringing with Windows products).

While I do like Mint I still do keep my eyes open. And nice to see SolydXK mention they work with Mint to improve both distros. So that I guess in a way helps support Mint?

phill1978
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phill1978 »

ok i was so disapointed because SolydK wouldnt work with Catalyst 13.11 beta 9

Black screen and x.server mess up. The download servers for Solydk are terribly slow took an hour to install the whole thing and i tried twice to get it working with catalyst to no avail.

pulling my hair out as it is otherwise very nice then Mint 16 KDE came out and im in heaven again, no probs at all got mesa 10, catalyst and new kernal running my games really good.Im liking the new additions and a removal of the old silver status icons for flatter objects, the new network manager took 10 mins to get the hang of though.

Great release !

Return to “KDE”