Linux Mint 17 Qiana KDE freezes on sleep [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Spiderspoon
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint 17 Qiana KDE freezes on sleep [SOLVED]

Post by Spiderspoon »

I have just installed Linux Mint 17 Qiana KDE.

When I put it to sleep, or it goes to sleep, it freezes and won't resume. I have to reboot or shut down.

Anyone else have this problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon, MATE & Xfce. Desktop computer 16 GB RAM. Windows 11. 22" & 24" monitors.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon on 256 GB USB flash drive. Dell Inspiron 13-7378 laptop. 16 GB RAM. Windows 10.
Isannah

Re: Linux Mint 17 Qiana KDE freezes on sleep

Post by Isannah »

A friend resuscitated my computer and installed Qiana as the OS. I've never used Linux before, and I'm glad to see someone else having the problem. My computer has it, too. Makes me nuts. (Otherwise, I'm finding that I rather like Linux, actually ....)
Spiderspoon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Spiderspoon »

I think it's a very new release, so if it's not just me, and you, then many people will have the same problem and then someone will fix it.

Meanwhile, I have 3 OSs on my computer, Windows 7, Linux Mint 13 Mate and Linux Mint 17 Qiana. So until it's fixed, I will probably not play with Qiana. I will use Mint 13 and Windows. Even so, that is my other laptop. On this computer I have Windows 8. It's under warranty, so I won't be putting Linux onto this one quite yet.

You could always dual boot with another Linux version if the freezing is a problem for you. Meanwhile, we can try to keep the computer awake.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon, MATE & Xfce. Desktop computer 16 GB RAM. Windows 11. 22" & 24" monitors.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon on 256 GB USB flash drive. Dell Inspiron 13-7378 laptop. 16 GB RAM. Windows 10.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

You can post here for better developer visbility in case its not done already ...
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2641
Spiderspoon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Spiderspoon »

anandrkris wrote:You can post here for better developer visbility in case its not done already ...
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2641
I did post in the blog, but what I found was:

Solving freezes with some NVIDIA GeForce GPUs

If you are unable to boot Linux Mint with an NVIDIA card, or if you are experiencing constant freezes and system lock ups, please append "nomodeset" to your boot arguments. At the boot menu of the live DVD/USB, press Tab to edit the boot arguments and add "nomodeset" at the end of the line.

If you're still having issues, you can also remove "quiet splash --" from that same line.

Alternatively you can use the "nouveau.noaccel=1" boot argument.

Once the system is installed, use the Driver Manager to install the nvidia-304 driver.

on the page http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_qiana_kde.php

I installed Driver Manager, and used the recommended driver for my computer, which was not nvidia-304.

Now I can put the computer to sleep and it will wake up again. Much better.

But then my system fonts changed for some reason. They became too big.

So I played around with System Settings, Application Appearance and then Fonts. But I couldn't return it to a default. I changed them all to 8. I've now changed them all to 7, which is even better. I have really good resolution on my screen, so 7 is readable. It now looks like it did originally.
temetka
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 17 Qiana KDE freezes on sleep [SOLVED]

Post by temetka »

I had the sleep is reported by OP on Thinkpad T410 (Nvidia 3100). Installed the Nvidia drivers and haven't had an issue since.

I wonder if this is only limited to machine with Nvidia GPU's or if ATI and Intel machines also have issues.
HerrBulles

Post by HerrBulles »

It freezes also on quadcore ATi proc + Ati HD5850 card .
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

HerrBulles wrote:It freezes also on quadcore ATi proc + Ati HD5850 card .
Hope it's not too late to reply. I solved this issue by switching to the flgrx-updates driver.
Mint17 KDE
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

I was experiencing this problem recently. Replaced BIOS battery, and all was good again.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.

Return to “Software & Applications”