(SOLVED) Disabling update-manager in LM 17.1 KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
midas
Level 4
Level 4

(SOLVED) Disabling update-manager in LM 17.1 KDE

Post by midas »

Hello,

I like to disable the update-manager completely at starting-up my laptop. I like a lean and clean desktop and want to check updates manually.

How can it be done in LM 17.1 KDE? Many thanks!

Greetz
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Disabling update-manager in LM 17.1 KDE

Post by austin.texas »

I assume it works in KDE the same as Cinnamon.
Menu > Preferences > Startup Applications > uncheck mintUpdate
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

midas wrote:I like to disable the update-manager completely at starting-up my laptop. I like a lean and clean desktop and want to check updates manually
This sounds like a pretty lame reason for disabling the Mint update manager.
  1. Mint update manager does not use lot of resources when idle. So much for the "lean desktop".
  2. Mint update manager sits in the bottom panel as a small shield icon most of the time. So much for the "clean desktop".
  3. Mint update manager expects you to open it and click [install] anyway. It is not going to upgrade anything without user consent. So much for the "manual update check".
My expectation is that the result will be a system that will never see any software updates at all.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

If you have given consideration to the advice offered and still wish
to do this type 'autostart' (no quotes) into the menu search.
You will see how to proceed.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

Don't worry....I am a long-term Ubunti/Mint-user. I only want to accomplish the updates manually and won't miss any updates :-)

Sorry to say but I tried the tips as mentioned above. However it's not working.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi midas,

You can adjust its properties within the update manager itself under "edit", "preferences", and adjusting the settings: "hide the icon after udpates", and "only show tray icon when updates are available", and set auto-refresh to 31 days or longer.

Caution, I think that anything longer than a week for auto-refresh checking for updates would be a mistake and a security risk.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

midas wrote:Sorry to say but I tried the tips as mentioned above. However it's not working.
Sorry, I do not really understands this sententce.
Exactly one post had been submitted telling how to find the list of "Automatically Started Applications" and how to disable "mintupdate (Linux Mint Update Manager)".
In fact the way to the list of "Automatically Started Applications" is not fully identical on all 4 desktop environments Cinnamon, Mate, xfce, KDE.
E.g. on xfce it is Mint Menu => Settings => Session and Startup Settings => tab "Automatically started applications". (Translated back to English from German, so the genuine English terms may be different)

So what exactly does not work?
You did not find the startup item "mintupdate (Linux Mint Update Manager)"?
You found it, disabled it, but mintupdate remained loaded in memory? - This would be by design. Disabling mintupdate in the list of "Automatically started applications" will prevent it from being automatically started after your next login. It will not terminate a loaded mintupdate instance.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

Sorry for the late reply, but when I run Autostart only 2 files are showing up:

1. desktop file
2. script file

There simply isn't any file or application like Update-manager which can be disabled or deleted.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

midas wrote:Sorry for the late reply, but when I run Autostart only 2 files are showing up:
1. desktop file
2. script file
There simply isn't any file or application like Update-manager which can be disabled or deleted.
You are correct, midas. KDE is significantly different. The Mint Update Manager should appear there, in Services (not Autostart), but it does not - so I don't know where it is found. A KDE user might be able to help.

If someone is tempted to suggest:

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i 's/NoDisplay=true/NoDisplay=false/g' /etc/xdg/autostart/*.desktop
... I tried that.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI midas,

Have you tried my suggestions yet? Those instructions may not disable the update manager, but it should effectively "hide" it and keep it from doing anything for whatever amount of time you entered in.

I use KDE and I cannot find a way to "disable" the update manager either, but I do not want a way to do that. I agree with most everyone else in this regards, that disabling the "Mint update manager" is not a good idea.

In my system monitor "ksysguard", I typed in "update", and three things showed up, and they do not use much memory:

1.) "mintupdate-laun" ---> /usr/bin/python/user/bin/mintupdate-launcher
2.) "sh" ---> usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py
3.) "mintUpdate" ---> usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py

Obviously, you can rename the "mintUpdate.py" file, but I don't know what kind of errors that may produce. And, you can type "locate mintUpdate" or "locate mintUpdate.py" from a terminal prompt to find anything related to it. Each user will have a configuration file like, "/home/phil/.config/linuxmint/mintUpdate.conf". Again anything you do on this console terminal level regarding this, you do at your own risk.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

Ah I solved it in a simple and reversable way:

There is a file etc/xdg/autostart/mintupdate.desktop

and renamed the file into etc/xdg/autostart/mintupdate.desktop.original

It's acting now the way I like :)
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi midas,

Good for you.

It is smart to use a reversible method for this.

Return to “Software & Applications”