Differences: Mint Cinnamon + KDE vs. Mint KDE + Cinnamon?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
fungus
Level 4
Level 4

Differences: Mint Cinnamon + KDE vs. Mint KDE + Cinnamon?

Post by fungus » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:00 am

I'm asking this because I have a two-user PC where one user prefers KDE and the other prefers Cinnamon, so...: What is the difference between installing Mint Cinnamon and afterwords KDE with the package manager and installing Mint KDE and afterwords Cinnamon with the package manager? Would it not end up having the exact same packages installed?
Linux Mint 17.3 64bit KDE @ Asus B150M-A, i3 6100, Crucial 16GB DDR4, Crucial BX100
One bit says: YES, the other answers: NO.. Guess who's he and who's she..! ;)

vanadium
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Differences: Mint Cinnamon + KDE vs. Mint KDE + Cinnamon

Post by vanadium » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:05 am

Mixing two DE's is not ideal, but very well possible: go ahead if indeed you have users with different requirements. Once logged in, I guess it won't make a difference. However, the login manager will be different depending on the order you install the desktops. In the end, also the login manager can ultimately be changed to what you prefer.

lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:23 am

Great question. I'd like to know too. :-)

I did a Internet search for "installing kde linux mint cinnamon" and there were many "relevant" hits.

Here's two that caught my eye:

Can you use KDE and Cinnamon?
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=140388

Installing KDE broke my Cinnamon installation - Unix & Linux Stack ...
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... stallation

I always thought you could install as many desktops as you wanted in theory, and then on the display manager or login manager (I'm using lightdm) you could select which you wanted to run.

itsme4401
Level 3
Level 3

Post by itsme4401 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:58 am

Just a suggestion:
Why don't you consider setting up a dual-boot machine?
One starting KDE & with the Cinnamon-partition in FSTAB and the other starting Cinnamon and KDE in its FSTAB?
If suitable you can link the (preferably non-hidden parts) of each others home with sym- or hardlinks.

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Hoser Rob » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:43 pm

As mentioned, both combinations stink. KDE and cinnamon are known to be a bad mix. In fact cinnamon and pretty much anything is a bad mix.

itsme4401
Level 3
Level 3

Post by itsme4401 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:52 pm

That, Hoser Rob,
both combinations stink
to quote myself
Just a suggestion: Why don't you consider setting up a dual-boot machine?
is exactly why I suggested a dual-boot as a solution to the question/luxury-problem.

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:41 pm

lmuserx4849 wrote: Installing KDE broke my Cinnamon installation - Unix & Linux Stack ...
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... stallation

I always thought you could install as many desktops as you wanted in theory, and then on the display manager or login manager (I'm using lightdm) you could select which you wanted to run.
That has always been my experience as well, with other distributions. I could have Gnome (2 or 3), KDE, XFCE, LXDE, as well as several Window Managers (Enlightenment, Fluxbox, etc.) Switching between them has always been seamless, and switching between Window Managers doesn't even require logging out to the DM. To be fair, though, I have never tried Cinnamon or MATE before Mint.

However, this experience doesn't seem to apply to Mint. I installed the Mint KDE edition and then added the others on top of it. Cinnamon 'sort of' works, but has many small issues. MATE was completely broken, so I was forced to remove it - and the Desktop Manager (MDM) will not switch sessions at all anymore. It will let me select any of the options, but will not actually do anything. I'm now required to manually edit my ~/.dmrc before logging out if I want to switch sessions.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:49 pm

In my experience, mixing Gnome and KDE (or Gnome-related desktops and KDE) always results in, at best, a polluted system. Not good. Performance suffers and menus get cluttered. :(

Both KDE and Gnome / Gnome-related desktops, perform best when pure....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “KDE”