KDE GUI Shutdown

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
BigBuddha3750
Level 1
Level 1

KDE GUI Shutdown

Post by BigBuddha3750 » Thu May 26, 2016 5:27 pm

When I click the Shutdown button in the Leave Tab, a small pop-up comes up in the middle of the screen. It has a 30-second countdown and a button to click to "Turn off the computer". When I click on it, it then gives me the option to "Suspend to RAM" or "Suspend to Disk". Either option comes up with a little pop-up that asks for my password. And when you power back on, it goes back to the same little pop-up asking for my password. Seems very iffy. So I have been dropping to a console and using sudo shutdown -P now to shutdown and that's very clean. Is there another GUI option that do the same thing as the CLI command?

Jim Hauser
Level 5
Level 5

Re: KDE GUI Shutdown

Post by Jim Hauser » Thu May 26, 2016 10:09 pm

I too am running KDE... Try this:

Open your System Settings

Select - Startup and Shutdown

Select - Session Management

Uncheck - Confirm Logout

Your system should the shutdown or restart right away without the 30 second box.

Hope this helps...

Cheers!

Jim

Mr.October
Level 4
Level 4

Re: KDE GUI Shutdown

Post by Mr.October » Sun May 29, 2016 11:50 am

BigBuddha3750 wrote:When I click the Shutdown button in the Leave Tab, a small pop-up comes up in the middle of the screen. It has a 30-second countdown and a button to click to "Turn off the computer". When I click on it, it then gives me the option to "Suspend to RAM" or "Suspend to Disk". Either option comes up with a little pop-up that asks for my password. And when you power back on, it goes back to the same little pop-up asking for my password. Seems very iffy. So I have been dropping to a console and using sudo shutdown -P now to shutdown and that's very clean. Is there another GUI option that do the same thing as the CLI command?
You can also prevent to use one of the two suspend actions by NOT clicking on the button which comes up in the middle of the screen, but on the text on the left side next to it. That way when you chose shutdown it will shutdown immediately, when you chose restart it will do just that, etc.
Took me a while to figure it out but I found it.
To be honest I like Jim's way better. I myself have added the shutdown button as a widget in my panel. It will shutdown the computer straight away, no questions asked, no confirmations, nothing. One click and he's dead.
System Settings --> Startup and Shutdown --> System Management --> General --> Confirm Logout: No.

Return to “KDE”