Linux Mint 18 KDE to use what version of KDE?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
yro
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 18 KDE to use what version of KDE?

Post by yro » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:34 pm

Please Clem, answer it: what KDE version are You going to use on LM 18 KDE edition?

Hope that You go for the latest one (5.6.xx) from KDE Neon or Kubuntu Backports..
sorry about my bad english... o.O

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Linux Mint 18 KDE to use what version of KDE?

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:33 pm

A long term support release is not going to use the latest DE release. The version they use will be out of date long before the LTS support ends. If you really must have the newest everything forget about LTS releases and go for a rolling release like Arch. However they are not noob friendly. Their support forums don't do a lot of hand holding.

Stability vs. having the newest software is a longstanding issue in linux/unix and I do not expect it to be solved any time soon. If ever.

lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:40 pm

There are 2 linux mint blogs/feeds that a user should read:
Even if you aren't technical, just glancing at segfault can provide some helpful insight.

The Linux Mint Blog has an entry, "Linux Mint 18 “Sarah” MATE – BETA Release". There is a link to Release Notes -- always look for Release notes, CHANGES, or README. It says that Mint 18 will be based on Ubuntu 16.04. And now click the Release notes for Ubuntu 16.04 and looking for kubuntu. The link, says:
  • KDE Ships KDE Applications 15.12.3
  • KDE Ships Plasma 5.5.5,
I thought all of KDE was at the same release. Although if I look at Kate Help -> About now, I do see Kate Version 3.14.2 and KDE Developmment Platform 4.14.2. Does that mean Kate will be 15.12.3?

When I was trying to figure it out, I read, "KSnapshot has been retired and replaced with a new screenshot application, Spectacle." I love the easy to use KSnapshot. Well, I'll have to try Spectacle. I hope they didn't tie it into Akonadi ;-).

OpenSUSE has a rolling release too. I like a stable OS environment, but some applications have to be updated or you fall behind and end up fighting needless battles to get things to work. Plus the learning curve is steeper --- commands change, apps are replaced, die, and all your workflow procedures have to be checked to see if they need to be thrown away, updated, or replaced. I think there is no question that LTS is great for servers, but I'm on the fense for desktops.

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:48 pm

yro wrote:Please Clem, answer it: what KDE version are You going to use on LM 18 KDE edition?

Hope that You go for the latest one (5.6.xx) from KDE Neon or Kubuntu Backports..
Why? What is so special about 5.6?
In your other thread you wanted to update Mint 17.3 with Plasma 5.x. Why? Why now?
Just wait another month or so and the real version is available and stable to use for everyone, especially noobs like you.

Instigator
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Instigator » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:24 pm

tried the new Kubuntu looks nice but isnt ready lots of freezes.

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:01 am

bunch of Upgrade Monkeys.

gekxxx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gekxxx » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:53 pm

Honestly SuSE looks great, until I used it. The driver of my samsung printer-scanner was not available. For Kubuntu I say no Google-Earth, no Miro.
So sorry for the rest, but Mint does the jobs no oyher distro has done for me before. Or I must be wrong...

hal8000
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hal8000 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:56 am

As I multi boot both Mint and Arch, I use both KDE Plasma (on Arch) and KDE 4.14 on Mint 17.3

For me, I hate Plasma and here is why:
Icons set designed for KDE 4 do not work on Plasma
KDE 4 allows different background wallpapers for each desktop, KDE Plasma has the SAME wallpaper.
In KDE4 you can assign indivual widgits to different desktops, in Plasma you cant do this.

Plenty of other complaints as well if you read kde.org

If Clem does switch to Plasma then I wont be using it. Mint 17,3 has support until April 2019,
by this time it is quite possible there will be new desktops or changes made to current KDE Plasma.

If you want Plasma so badly why not download the Suse ISO. It works in live mode so you can try
out the Plasma desktop without affecting your current Mint install.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:56 am

If you need to be using the cutting edge tech all the time, Mint is not the right distribution for you.
Why not just use KDE Neon? It's still a Ubuntu base but with cutting edge KDE components.

jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:14 pm

hal8000 wrote: If Clem does switch to Plasma then I wont be using it.
Me too.

(Here Hal9000!)

myface64
Level 3
Level 3

Post by myface64 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:35 pm

KDE Neon is ugly as hell. Look like android. Please, do not use it in future KDE.

Menak Vishap
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Menak Vishap » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:54 pm

myface64 wrote:KDE Neon is ugly as hell. Look like android. Please, do not use it in future KDE.
Did you try choosing "Oxygen" Plasma theme and "Air" desktop theme? And switching off the "Background contrast" in desktop effects.

Menak Vishap
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Menak Vishap » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:25 pm

hal8000 wrote:If Clem does switch to Plasma then I wont be using it. Mint 17,3 has support until April 2019,
by this time it is quite possible there will be new desktops or changes made to current KDE Plasma.
I afraid it is not up to Clem unless he will decide to port KDE 4 to Xenial codebase by efforts of Mint team. But, as I remember, Clem wrote somewhere that Mint 18 will have Plasma 5.

If it will be severely retarding 5.5.5 then it will be good idea to add ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports repo just immediately after Mint 18 installing to upate Plasma at least to 5.6.5.

myface64
Level 3
Level 3

Post by myface64 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:37 pm

Menak Vishap wrote:
myface64 wrote:KDE Neon is ugly as hell. Look like android. Please, do not use it in future KDE.
Did you try choosing "Oxygen" Plasma theme and "Air" desktop theme? And switching off the "Background contrast" in desktop effects.
I tried all. Still ugly, but the biggest "deal breaker" is no option to clone desktop . The unify option mess up so bad, that I had to turn the computer off.
I will stick with 17.3. Everything look good and works fine .

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:34 am

DeMus wrote:
yro wrote:Please Clem, answer it: what KDE version are You going to use on LM 18 KDE edition?

In your other thread you wanted to update Mint 17.3 with Plasma 5.x. Why? Why now?
Just wait another month or so and the real version is available and stable to use for everyone, especially noobs like you.
I'll catch he|| for this but what's so special about Mint 18 either :mrgreen: I'm happy as a song bird with Mint 17.3 and the old KDE :lol:

Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:12 pm

Pepi wrote:
DeMus wrote:

I'll catch he|| for this but what's so special about Mint 18 either :mrgreen: I'm happy as a song bird with Mint 17.3 and the old KDE :lol:
For me, the new KDE will actually accommodate my BT mouse and I can ditch the dongle. I want those separate wallpapers, though, so I am holding out.
Try politeness; people will like you for it.

altae
Level 2
Level 2

Post by altae » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:17 pm

A compromise would be to install Fedora 24 KDE. It comes with a newer KDE version than Kubuntu (and thus Mint) but is still far more user friendly than Arch for example. I've been using it for almost a month now and cannot complain. Sure, KDE Plasma has still got a few rough edges but generally it's very stable. Even the upgrade from 23 to 24 went smoothly.

Dr G
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dr G » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:54 pm

altae wrote:A compromise would be to install Fedora 24 KDE. It comes with a newer KDE version than Kubuntu...
That's your idea of a compromise :lol: ? For those not familiar with Fedora, the learning curve will be significantly reduced by installing Neon.

However, regardless of Neon, Fedora, or waiting for Mint, Plasma is questionably ready for prime time. Neon runs the most current version of KDE and it still has problems with importing fonts (easily worked around :? ) and Activities (not so easily worked around :evil: ). Not to mention it runs significantly hotter on my T460s than Kubuntu :roll: (although it is as stable as Kubuntu). If Mint 17 did not have persistent problems with tearing, likely I'd be happy to stay with it.

Sigh. Life is often a compromise, and the Mint crew does such a marvelous job that I will happily jump to Mint 18. But, I don't envy their task of readying a KDE version of Mint 18. :shock:

TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:30 am

KDE 17.x has been great for me (only real bother was having to wrestle akonadi/balloo down to the mat). What concerns me for upgrading is the situation wrt unifying the QT4,5-GTK2-GTK3.x guis. It seems that QT/GTK stuff had finally just been worked out nicely around the time 17 came along and now...? I'm in no hurry to upgrade from 17.x, but I suspect that sticking with it as primary desktop won't be practicable for long with technology churn as it is.
Dr G wrote:If Mint 17 did not have persistent problems with tearing, likely I'd be happy to stay with it.
Dr G, what sort of tearing? I ask because, in the event you don't already know this, if your situation is similar to the tearing issues I had (including on videos full screen in mpv, smplayer) then adding 'export __GL_YIELD="USLEEP"' to /etc/profile fixed it. Should add, if it matters in your case, iirc I also had to play with desktop effects settings, so that 'Suspend desktop effects for fullscreen windows' is unselected and VSync is set to 'full scene repaints'. I'm running 17.3 up to date and the fix is still valid so far.
Mint 18.3 xfce w/nemo - AMD Quad Core - lovely ASUS Xonar ST sound - Radeon R7 Graphics - 1920x1200 Dell U2415
some favs: Zim - mocp - kid3 - calibre - gimp - artha - deluge - handbrake - k3b - ClickRepair - mc
Folding@Home Mint Team Contributor

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:20 am

Dr G wrote: If Mint 17 did not have persistent problems with tearing, likely I'd be happy to stay with it.
Did you try this: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=174237#p906436
It helped me and several others with an Nivida card. If you use one try it to see if it works for you as well.

Return to “KDE”