Linux Mint 18 KDE to use what version of KDE?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Dr G
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 18 KDE to use what version of KDE?

Post by Dr G » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:16 am

Thanks for the suggestions, TeaSwigger and DeMus. But, I'm not certain they would apply. My T460s uses an Intel HD Graphics 520 (instead of Nvidia) graphics card.

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:18 pm

myface64 wrote:KDE Neon is ugly as hell. Look like android. Please, do not use it in future KDE.
What is ugly about KDE Neon? Just installed it in a VM and it looks like Plasma 5. If you think that's ugly then you can jump overboard because like it or not that is the future. Neon is using 5.7.1 and one thing I like especially is the used font in Firefox on this website. It is so clear, so easy to read, let's see which font it is. It's called Noto sans, never heard of it but it looks amazing.

For others who don't like the fact that Plasma 5 does not support different widgets and wallpapers per desktop: you need to forget about the virtual desktops and learn how to use Activities. It's a different way of doing things but it's not that different. Just read about it and start using it. You obviously like KDE or you wouldn't be using it, so why not go all the way, use all the KDE programs, all the parts of the DE.

KDE Neon is, to be honest, a bit strange OS. The name says KDE but not many KDE programs were installed OotB. I had to install Kmail, K3b, Kate, Kdenlive, and I'm sure I forgot some more. There is also no office suite installed, they really kept the ISO file as small as possible. On one side that is good: this way you can install just what you want and need without having installed too much.

All in all a nice OS to work with.

Dr G
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dr G » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:49 pm

DeMus wrote:For others who don't like the fact that Plasma 5 does not support different widgets and wallpapers per desktop: you need to forget about the virtual desktops and learn how to use Activities.

All in all a nice OS to work with.
Agreed. Except, keyboard shortcuts are STILL not working for Activities. :evil: (If I wanted a Mac I'd have purchased a Mac.) :lol:

peer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by peer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:17 am

I am a user of Mint 17.3 kde. But I wanted to try kde 5.

Last week I looked at manjaro kde (in virtualbox and live). It has kde 5. It looked very solid and beatiful with an overload of programs. I decided to install manjaro on my hard disk. Unfortunately it started to freeze randomly after several minutes.

Then I tried kubuntu, also with kde5. It looked complete but a bit smaller then manjaro. I tried it first in virtualbox and then live. I installed the os on my pc and had almost the same experience as with manjaro. Many random freezes.

I think this is a problem with my hardware. I suspect that my graphical card (Radeon HD7750) is causing the problems in manjaro and kubuntu.

Two bad experiences with kde5. So I went beck to Mint kde 17.3. Installing went smootly and now my pc is working perfectly again.

Strange that a clean install of Manjaro en Kubuntu did not go well while the clean install of mint went flawlessly.

myface64
Level 3
Level 3

Post by myface64 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:57 am

I look at Fedora 24. The some ugly desktop. No "clone" in HDMI display - major deal breaker. I try the unify output and again, I had to "hard" shut down.
KDE 5 is not upgrade, but downgrade. Until the KDE fix some problems and get raid of that "Android flat screen", please, do not include in next version of KDE.

braingateway
Level 3
Level 3

Post by braingateway » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:46 am

KDE5 and plasma5 is real disaster! Please DONOT include this. If the KDE5 is the only maintained version I'll have to consider leaving KDE. I've been using KDE since 90's. I had never seen such disappointed `upgrade`like this.

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:35 am

braingateway wrote:KDE5 and plasma5 is real disaster! Please DONOT include this. If the KDE5 is the only maintained version I'll have to consider leaving KDE. I've been using KDE since 90's. I had never seen such disappointed `upgrade`like this.
Why? What is wrong with it? Which distro did you use to "test" it? How long have you used it?
Regularly I have distro's with Plasma 5 in a VB and use them, set them up as if they are my host system and I love it. Can do everything with it what I like, I want, I need to do.
So please, share your experiences with us and don't only shout: "KDE5 and plasma5 is real disaster! Please DONOT include this."

braingateway
Level 3
Level 3

Post by braingateway » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:19 am

which part is wrong?
em...
every aspect !

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:42 am

braingateway wrote:which part is wrong?
em...
every aspect !
Sorry, but answers like that are not to be taken seriously.

ciacnorris
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ciacnorris » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:13 pm

I've been using only Manjaro in the last couple of months and I like it very much.
It's a very user friendly rolling distro based on Arch, and I think that if you want always-latest-version KDE (or other pieces of software) Manjaro is your distribution. Plus, the community is great.
But you have to take care of it, like reading updates' release notes and keep on applying the updates, or something could break.

So, if you prefer a system that "just works" and you care less about always having the latest versions, I think Linux Mint is the one and (quite) only.

Plasma 5 still lacks some (minor) features when compared to KDE4 (and also some little problems more), but the gap is being filled more and more with every minor version of Plasma 5 being released. That's why I hope Linux Mint 18 KDE will provide and support KDE updates, or at least include 5.7.3 by default.
Last edited by ciacnorris on Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:52 am

ciacnorris wrote:That's why I hope Linux Mint 18 KDE will provide and support KDE updates, or at least include 5.7.3 by default.
Do you think it will be differently from what Ubuntu uses?

ciacnorris
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ciacnorris » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:00 am

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3077 wrote:Important decisions also haven’t been taken yet, such as [...] whether to maintain or to delegate Plasma updates.
Looks like they are at least considering it, or am I misunderstanding?

Dr G
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dr G » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:23 pm

Dr G wrote:However, regardless of Neon, Fedora, or waiting for Mint, Plasma is questionably ready for prime time. Neon runs the most current version of KDE and it still has problems with importing fonts (easily worked around :? ) and Activities (not so easily worked around :evil: ). Not to mention it runs significantly hotter on my T460s than Kubuntu :roll: (although it is as stable as Kubuntu).
A follow-up, if for no other reason that blame was improperly laid on Neon. It dawned on me (finally!) that when comparing temperatures across distributions that I should quadruple check to verify that I was using the same sensor.

And I was not. :oops:

So, what result appeared once I started comparing apples to apples? Well, as you probably already guessed, there is no obvious difference between Neon and Kubuntu (16.04) and Mint (17.3).

That said, keyboard shortcuts for Activities are not working, and system stability when using Activities is also not ideal (about 1 crash per day). I've reduced my number of Activities slightly, which may help.

Dr G
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dr G » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:35 pm

DeMus wrote:
ciacnorris wrote:That's why I hope Linux Mint 18 KDE will provide and support KDE updates, or at least include 5.7.3 by default.
Do you think it will be differently from what Ubuntu uses?
My guess is almost certainly not. While I would be thrilled if Mint chose 5.7.3 (or later), we can't ignore the fact that Cinnamon and Mate are the Mint team's primary focus. To adopt 5.7.3 would take a giant step toward Neon, which is still very young.

kdemeoz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kdemeoz » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:45 pm

Dr G wrote:My guess is almost certainly not. While I would be thrilled if Mint chose 5.7.3 (or later), we can't ignore the fact that Cinnamon and Mate are the Mint team's primary focus. To adopt 5.7.3 would take a giant step toward Neon, which is still very young.
I understand your logic, but still hope you're wrong [no offence]. I've continued to play around with Plasma5 in my 2 relevant VMs [Kubuntu 16.04 & Fedora 24 KDE] viewtopic.php?f=60&t=223370&p=1199890#p1199890 , & P5.7.x continues to be "less bad" than 5.5.5.

.......................................................................................
My on-SSD OS = Linux Mint x64 17.3 KDE 4.14.2.
Manjaro KDE p5.12.2 [Mint 17.x KDE4 2014-2016]

Menak Vishap
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Menak Vishap » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:07 pm

Interesting news from DistroWatch.com :
The Netrunner distribution has discontinued its Kubuntu-based edition and replaced it with a new edition, called Maui, which uses KDE neon as a base. The first release of the new edition, Netrunner 1 "Maui", is built on a long term support (LTS) base and will provide cutting edge versions of KDE software. "Maui will continue as the full desktop version of the previously Kubuntu based Netrunner line: What basically equals Netrunner+1 is simply released under the new name "Maui 1". Being based on KDE neon, Maui also marks the transition to an LTS base, where some parts are receiving regular updates during its lifecycle (so called "partially rolling"). The main parts which will be kept up-to-date are Plasma, Frameworks and KDE Applications, single ones like Firefox and Thunderbird, plus anything that gets updated on Xenial via backporting. This allows us to frequently release updated ISOs shipping the latest of KDE software."
Currently it has Qt 5.7.0, Plasma 5.7.3, KF5 5.24.0 and Applications 16.04.3. For us the most interesting fact is that it uses Mint Update Manager (currently 4.9.3+git20160302.1222+8-0).

Dr G
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dr G » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:25 pm

Menak Vishap wrote:Interesting news from DistroWatch.com :
The Netrunner distribution has discontinued its Kubuntu-based edition and replaced it with a new edition, called Maui, which uses KDE neon as a base. The first release of the new edition, Netrunner 1 "Maui", is built on a long term support (LTS) base and will provide cutting edge versions of KDE software. "Maui will continue as the full desktop version of the previously Kubuntu based Netrunner line: What basically equals Netrunner+1 is simply released under the new name "Maui 1". Being based on KDE neon, Maui also marks the transition to an LTS base, where some parts are receiving regular updates during its lifecycle (so called "partially rolling"). The main parts which will be kept up-to-date are Plasma, Frameworks and KDE Applications, single ones like Firefox and Thunderbird, plus anything that gets updated on Xenial via backporting. This allows us to frequently release updated ISOs shipping the latest of KDE software."
Currently it has Qt 5.7.0, Plasma 5.7.3, KF5 5.24.0 and Applications 16.04.3. For us the most interesting fact is that it uses Mint Update Manager (currently 4.9.3+git20160302.1222+8-0).
That is interesting news!

ciacnorris
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ciacnorris » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:13 am

Looks like we'll find out soon: https://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/448
Is anybody able to download this ISO?

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:57 am

ciacnorris wrote:Looks like we'll find out soon: https://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/448
It's not for public consumption yet. For internal testing only.
It will go to Beta when it's ready for testing by the likes of us... and when i say 'us' I mean you because I have no test machine right now. :(
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:43 pm

Jedinovice wrote:
ciacnorris wrote:Looks like we'll find out soon: https://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/448
It's not for public consumption yet. For internal testing only.
It will go to Beta when it's ready for testing by the likes of us... and when i say 'us' I mean you because I have no test machine right now. :(
Just installed OpenMandriva KDE in a virtual machine, using KDE 5.6.5. Oh man you should see this. Aduh ma'af, kamu tidak punya komputer sekarang. :wink:
Sorry, could not resist.
OpenMandriva-Dolphin.png
So neat, so polished, so great. Looking at the picture I can only say it doesn't flatter KDE, in real the picture on screen is much sharper, the text is so nice thin. Strange that the picture does not reflect that.

Return to “KDE”