How to install Plasma 5.7 on Mint 18?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
orange2k
Level 1
Level 1

How to install Plasma 5.7 on Mint 18?

Post by orange2k »

As the title says, I would like to know how to install Plasma 5.7 on the new released Mint 18...

I know the backports PPA is enabled, but what packages do I need to actually install Plasma 5.7? :oops:

Menak Vishap
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to install Plasma 5.7 on Mint 18?

Post by Menak Vishap »

There are two possible ways (or their combination :) ).

1. You can add two additional repos from launchpad and update:

'http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/st ... sma/ubuntu xenial main'
'http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/st ... ons/ubuntu xenial main'

It is unofficial updates from kubuntu team. You will have Plasma 5.7.2 and Applications 16.03, but localization of interface could be partially lost (some menus will be in English).

2. You can add Neon user repo by doing following:

- create file with any name in directory '/etc/apt/preferences.d' with such content:

Package: base-files
Pin: release o=neon
Pin-Priority: -10

this will prevent updating Mint version of 'base-files' package from Neon repo, that is very important.

- than add repo:

'http://archive.neon.kde.org/user xenial main'

- after that import this pgp key: 'http://archive.neon.kde.org/public.key'

- run 'apt distr-upgrade' in konsole.

You will have Plasma 5.7.4, the PIM events plugin will be available in Calendar widget, and you could install kipi-plugins to have Plugins menu in Gwenview. But again localization of interface could be partially lost. You can update 'kde-l10n-*' packages from repo 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/st ... ons/ubuntu xenial main' to restore it.

3. You can on your own risk consequently perform ways 1 and 2 to update to 16.03 applications which are not updated in Neon-user repo. I did this (on Kubuntu 16.04, but I am sure it will work on Mint 18 as well), and everythins seems to be working fine. The localization of interfase is almost complete. On my opinion it is the best way.

The risk of ways 2 and 3 is that we don't know future plans of Neon team, whether they will support repo for Xenial or they will switch to Yakkety in November, and then we shall not have Plasma updates any more. But I think that probability that 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/st ... sma/ubuntu' repo will be more advanced in future than Neon-user is not so high. Another risk is possibility to loose partially interface localization again when Neon-user repo will be updated to Plasma 5.8. But you can just switch off all repos after updating to avoid it.

kdemeoz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kdemeoz »

Hi Menak Vishap -- your info is interesting thanks, albeit somewhat above my head. It prompted a [probably very naive] question as i read it, as follows. Given that elsewhere Clem has written "The backport component is now also required and enabled by default", what benefit is this backport actually giving us? I had initially assumed [several months ago] that it was the conduit needed for our Mint 18 KDE Plasma 5 to keep fetching new versions of Plasma 5. However, if we Minters have to manually do all the intricate hoop-jumping shenanigans that you so ably describe, then what is that lazy old enabled-backport actually doing? Shouldn't it be invisibly automatically doing all this tricky stuff itself [in cahoots of course with the Update Manager], & not leaving it to motivated users to manually do instead?

My puzzlement is increased by observing that my unpleasant misanthropic Kubuntu 16.04 VM i created several months ago to have a look at this new-fangled Plasma 5, has been stuck on Plasma 5.5.5 [with all its glitches, bugs & missing features] for most of that time. In contrast my Fedora 24 KDE VM has updated its Plasma at least 3 times now, though has remained at 5.7.3 for some weeks at least. Yesterday morning on a whim i created a new VM for Maui, & noted its Plasma is also 5.7.3.

I hope my query is not too silly, but basically, it seems to me that we would undertake a measure of personal hassle & risk by following your steps, with #1 at least still only giving us "You will have Plasma 5.7.2" not the 5.7.3 of Fedora & Maui. I'd prefer my putative Mint 18 KDE to do this automagically. Please let me be clear, NONE of my words here are to be interpreted as negativity towards you , but instead at this strange new Plasma update infrastructure we are now getting with Mint 18.

...........................................................................................................
My on-SSD OS = Linux Mint x64 17.3 KDE 4.14.2... for now...
Manjaro KDE 5.15.x [Mint 17.x KDE4 2014-2016]

hallergard
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hallergard »

Thanks! Installed Plasma 5.7.5 to my Kubuntu 16.04 a couple of weeks ago, using alt 1. This worked fine, and finally solved my problem with unifying two monitors (PC monitor and TV - as I use my PC as a HTPC).

So wanted to do the same on my Mint 18 on the same PC, but only got Plasma 5.6.5 plus some 300 upgradables not installing. What can I do to get Plasma 5.7.5?

Broken Canoe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Broken Canoe »

Is there an official line from Clem on how this can be done? I thought the whole point of having the backports PPA is that Plasma could be maintained at the latest version..

marianarlt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marianarlt »

I'm interested in this as well as the version shipping with Mint 18 has some flaws that nag me like auto login not working at all, user accounts disappear in preferences after creating them, icon task switcher not pointing to theme icons but generic upscaled ones resulting in pixels etc. I know this will not necessarily be fixed by installing a newer version and that this may cause even bigger problems. That's the "bleeding" in the "edge" I guess. Said that:
1. You can add two additional repos from launchpad and update:

'http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/st ... sma/ubuntu xenial main'
'http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/st ... ons/ubuntu xenial main'
When I try to add the first one of these to the "Software Sources" dialog under the PPAs tab by clicking "+ Add a new PPA..." I get the following alert:
Cannot add PPA: ''This PPA does not support xenial''.

Could I add this with "add-apt-repository" or would this break something regarding the error the GUI throws?
Won't fiddle with this if not even the described manner works for me. Or any other ways to do this? Would be highly interested in Plasma 5.8 which should be out any day/week of these if one can trust their road map.

kdemeoz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kdemeoz »

FYI marianarlt & Broken Canoe & hallergard -- I'll probably go straight to hell & eternal damnation for what i'm about to tell you, given this is the Mint forum, but i'm simply trying to be helpful, not controversial or mean.

Eight days after my query to Menak Vishap, which sadly wasn't answered, i decided to have a try anyway. i was only partly successful [able to do Step 1, but completely defeated in Step 2 by repeat error message “'This PPA does not support xenial' Cannot add PPA: ''This PPA does not support xenial''.”]. Notwithstanding i could only do one of the two hacks fully, Mint 18 still updated to Plasma 5.7.5 as hoped, but even so it just would not behave correctly [various windows now didn't render correctly], & still lacked functions & features that are present & functional in Maui [eg, most critically, Root Actions]. Furthermore, i felt unhappy that i should have to go to this non-standard hack hassle, with possible future integrity issues, "just" to obtain the current Plasma version already available beyond the Kubuntu/Mint sphere.

I was so disenchanted by this that i did something radical [for me]... i turned my back on Mint KDE!! I chose to no longer wait for Mint 18 to get the latest Plasma from the Kubuntu backports, as i have no confidence at all of this happening in a reasonable timeframe [after all, Kubuntu itself is still stuck on the quite rotten 5.5.5]. So... i decided that my upgrade path on my Tower from its erstwhile Mint 17.3 KDE 4.14 would not be to Mint 18 KDE after all, but to... Maui Aurora.

So that's my new OS, for the last ~week, & frankly i'm loving it. Plasma 5.7.5 is clearly better than 5.6.5 & obviously 5.5.5, AND given that Maui is based on Neon not Kubuntu, i will be getting relatively frequent Plasma version updates simply through Update Manager [which BTW seems nearly identical to Mint's]. Given it's so valuable to me, i also relish the ongoing availability of Dolphin's Root Actions in Maui -- astonishingly left out of Mint 18, Kubuntu 16.04, KFedora 24, & even KDE Neon itself.

I know i risk abuse & criticism for mentioning something other than Mint herein, but i honestly wouldn't have needed to, & would doubtless be running Mint 18 KDE now not Maui, if only that disappointing decision had not been taken to link Mint with Kubuntu rather than Neon.

I hope this might help you.

Dr G
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dr G »

kdemeoz wrote:FYI marianarlt & Broken Canoe & hallergard -- I'll probably go straight to hell & eternal damnation for what i'm about to tell you, given this is the Mint forum, but i'm simply trying to be helpful, not controversial or mean.

Eight days after my query to Menak Vishap, which sadly wasn't answered, i decided to have a try anyway. i was only partly successful [able to do Step 1, but completely defeated in Step 2 by repeat error message “'This PPA does not support xenial' Cannot add PPA: ''This PPA does not support xenial''.”]. Notwithstanding i could only do one of the two hacks fully, Mint 18 still updated to Plasma 5.7.5 as hoped, but even so it just would not behave correctly [various windows now didn't render correctly], & still lacked functions & features that are present & functional in Maui [eg, most critically, Root Actions]. Furthermore, i felt unhappy that i should have to go to this non-standard hack hassle, with possible future integrity issues, "just" to obtain the current Plasma version already available beyond the Kubuntu/Mint sphere.

I was so disenchanted by this that i did something radical [for me]... i turned my back on Mint KDE!! I chose to no longer wait for Mint 18 to get the latest Plasma from the Kubuntu backports, as i have no confidence at all of this happening in a reasonable timeframe [after all, Kubuntu itself is still stuck on the quite rotten 5.5.5]. So... i decided that my upgrade path on my Tower from its erstwhile Mint 17.3 KDE 4.14 would not be to Mint 18 KDE after all, but to... Maui Aurora.

So that's my new OS, for the last ~week, & frankly i'm loving it. Plasma 5.7.5 is clearly better than 5.6.5 & obviously 5.5.5, AND given that Maui is based on Neon not Kubuntu, i will be getting relatively frequent Plasma version updates simply through Update Manager [which BTW seems nearly identical to Mint's]. Given it's so valuable to me, i also relish the ongoing availability of Dolphin's Root Actions in Maui -- astonishingly left out of Mint 18, Kubuntu 16.04, KFedora 24, & even KDE Neon itself.

I know i risk abuse & criticism for mentioning something other than Mint herein, but i honestly wouldn't have needed to, & would doubtless be running Mint 18 KDE now not Maui, if only that disappointing decision had not been taken to link Mint with Kubuntu rather than Neon.

Sadly, I must concur. :cry: As much as I like the vibrant and ever so helpful and professional Mint community, Mint 18 KDE is not the best alternative available for KDE fans. Better to stay with Mint 17.3 (for rock solid stability), or if you want/need a more current Plasma distribution, Maui or Neon are the best available alternatives in the Debian/Ubuntu universe. Maui, of course, uses the Mint Update manager, giving it the clear edge for users who want things to "just work." :) OTOH, Neon is a tiny bit faster with the updates, but I recommend using Synaptic Package Manager for updates. 8) Muon just isn't ready.

I long for the day I can return to Mint KDE full-time.

blue_bullet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by blue_bullet »

Dr G wrote:
kdemeoz wrote:FYI marianarlt & Broken Canoe & hallergard -- I'll probably go straight to hell & eternal damnation for what i'm about to tell you, given this is the Mint forum, but i'm simply trying to be helpful, not controversial or mean.

Sadly, I must concur. :cry: As much as I like the vibrant and ever so helpful and professional Mint community, Mint 18 KDE is not the best alternative available for KDE fans. Better to stay with Mint 17.3 (for rock solid stability), or if you want/need a more current Plasma distribution, Maui or Neon are the best available alternatives in the Debian/Ubuntu universe. Maui, of course, uses the Mint Update manager, giving it the clear edge for users who want things to "just work." :) OTOH, Neon is a tiny bit faster with the updates, but I recommend using Synaptic Package Manager for updates. 8) Muon just isn't ready.

I long for the day I can return to Mint KDE full-time.
I too had to back off of LM 18 KDE and return to LM 17.3 KDE. Too many niggling things did not work or were not the same. Examples are an Autokey script I have that inserts a comment into any file with the date/timestamp generated by
date "+%Y-%m-%d @ %H:%M:%S %Z". Instead of :'s ;'s are inserted in LM 18 KDE. Another example: My color settings in The Hessling Editor are so fouled I cannot even see the text in a file. I am posting this from 17.3 now, but I had trouble getting to System Settings> Application and System Notifications> Event Source: KDE Workspace to configure startup/shutdown behavior so I just gave up. Too many things that did work in 17.3 don't work in 18 and it's not worth the time to simply find out they no longer can be done in 18.

I may try Maui or just stick with 17.3. It is supported until 2019. On the positive side it is nice to have a choice.

kdemeoz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kdemeoz »

I confess this might sound like gloating, but FYI: tonight my Maui P5.7.5 upgraded via Update Manager to 5.8.0.

5.8.0 - 5.6.5 = 0.1.5...

hallergard
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hallergard »

Had another look at this and found that I had to use mintUpdate manager to be able to install the 399 packages that I was refused to install using Syanptic or apt or apt-get. So I got Pulse 5.7.5, which solves my problem which was to unify two screens (the PC monitor and the living room TV) for my HTPC setup. Don't necessarily need Pulse 5.8 for that.

bvpainter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bvpainter »

I was trying Mint KDE 18, but also got frustrated at not being able to upgrade plasma, so I am now trying Maui as well. My updated version is now using Plasma 5.8, so could not be more upto date. Only thing lacking in Maui is a graphical software manager, so will have to put up with Synaptic.

kdemeoz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kdemeoz »

bvpainter wrote:I was trying Mint KDE 18, but also got frustrated at not being able to upgrade plasma, so I am now trying Maui as well. My updated version is now using Plasma 5.8, so could not be more upto date. Only thing lacking in Maui is a graphical software manager, so will have to put up with Synaptic.
Well, via Synaptic i also installed Muon & Discover. Seems to cover the bases pretty well.

Wonder
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Wonder »

Other user that, in my laptop, I uninstall Mint and I install Maui (in my tower, at the moment, continue with LM 18), but the difference in my laptop now with Maui its very big, much more stable...

kdemeoz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kdemeoz »

Once a week or two i fire up my Mint 18 KDE VM to see if it's moved on yet from Plasma 5.6.5, & am disappointed each time. Also of course, the unavailability of Dolphin's Root Actions continues to disincentivise me from returning to Mint anytime soon, combined with the old less stable Plasma, Had i not discovered Maui & jumped over to it [& am still loving it]. i still wonder if i'd have opted to keep my Tower on Mint 17.3 KDE4, or go to Mint 18 KDE but feel grumpy about it, or change to Mint 18 Xfce+Compiz like i did on my Lappy. BTW, Maui will probably move from Plasma 5.8.0 to Plasma 5.8.1 within the next week, i suspect.

This might not help, but i felt i'd offer this here just in case it did help anyone struggling with Mint 18 KDE instability hassles, based on my recent temporarily frustrating week in Maui following its update from Plasma 5.7.5 to 5.8.0... but don't focus on Plasma itself for the following info. In Mint 17.x KDE4, & still now in Maui Plasma5, i was/am a big user of compositing & desktop effects, via KWin's Screen Edges. My graphics card is nothing special, just a NVidia GeForce GT-610. Both when i still used Mint 17.3 KDE, & now in Maui, i tend to favour selecting the latest driver available in the Driver Manager. More or less contemporaneously with the Maui Plasma upgrade to 5.8.0 i found that the D/M was offering NVidia binary driver version 370.28, so i selected it, & continued using OpenGL 3.1 as my compositor. OMZ, several days of misery ensued!! Many times Plasmashell / KWin crashed even when i wasn't doing anything, but the action that was most "reliable" for crashing it was to use "Show Desktop Grid" then drag a window from one VD to another [a procedure upon which i always rely heavily, ie, use frequently]. It was a horrible few days & nights. I discovered that changing compositing to OpenGL 2.0 helped a bit [but only a bit], & downgrading all the way to just XRender helped a little bit more [maybe], but at the price of then losing Desktop Cube & Wobbly WIndows... but crashes still happened sometimes anyway, making the "benefit" moot.

Eventually, after advice in the Maui community, it transpired that THE root cause of ALL the misery, was my choice of THAT driver! Either 370.28 itself is broken, or my card is simply incompatible with it, but the outcome made my system awful to live with. Downgrading the driver to 367.44 fixed everything... not another Plasmashell / KWin crash since -- yay!! My system is again lovely.

So... i cannot say for certain, given my OS [except in a VM] is not Mint 18 KDE P5.6.5, but for anyone experiencing unhappy Plasma5 instability, you might want to look closely at your graphics card & driver combo, with a preparedness to experiment with alternative drivers. My own experience taught me the huge ramifications of a mismatch. Good luck, i hope it might help someone.

Wonder
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Wonder »

In my case, I don't have any problem with driver of nvidia, but in the first time, I was installed 367 from https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers ... ubuntu/ppa.

But, also in the tower than in the laptop, with LM 18 KDE the cpu temp its very very high.
When start computer not, the cpu is normally (tower about 15-20 laptop about 40), but when I open some application or...(I don't know exactly) the cpu temp its very very high, in tower around 65-70-75!! (celsius) and in laptop also about 65-70, but when I close all applications, the cpu temp is the same, in tower about 70 and in laptop about 65-70 when all applications closed....

Now, in laptop with Maui, the cpu temp its always correct, in standby about 40 with applications about 45, but when I close the applications the cpu temp again its about 40.

In my tower, in the past, with LM 17.3 KDE the cpu temp always are fine, but with LM 18....its horrible.
But this, the cpu temp, this "issue, bug or....." are with the 2 computers, tower and laptop, now in laptop with Maui I don't have this "issue", for example.

I think, in the next days, also migrate my tower to Maui.....

kdemeoz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kdemeoz »

In comparison, FYI; my Tower [Maui 1 Plasma 5.8.0], currently running pgms Firejail, Firetools, KInfoCentre, System Monitor, Pensor, Shutter, Dolphin x 2, Conky, 3 Activities with 9 VDs each, Thunderbird, Vivaldi-Snapshot [42 tabs open], CherryTree, Task Coach, Clementine, KeePass2, PulseAudio Equaliser:
Psensor - Temperature Monitor_001_20161015_011707.png

Wonder
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Wonder »

Its perfect!
Now, in my tower (with LM 18) only open, firefox x3, Thunderbird, cpu temp range 15-30, but if I open some application that requiered vpu (like kdenlive) up to 70-75!!! But if I close all applications, the cpu temp continue in this 70-75, and I search for any application opened that consume cpu for this temps and I don't have any open application.
I try Maui since a few days ago in my laptop, but yes, tomorrow migrate my tower to Maui...

Menak Vishap
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Menak Vishap »

For everybody who complained about “Cannot add PPA: ”This PPA does not support xenial”” error for Neon repo. Here is Clem's response:

"Edit by Clem: Ok, that’s not a PPA though. You wouldn’t add this one in the PPA tab, but in the Additional repositories tab instead".

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3145

kdemeoz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kdemeoz »

Nice work & thanks Menak, herein & also at http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3145 -- #41, 42, 43. Consequently:
Mint 18 KDE Plasma 5.8.2_20161030_174139.png
Now if only i could find a way to install Dolphin's Root Actions in Mint 18 KDE [astonishingly left out of Mint 18, Kubuntu 16.04, KFedora 24, & even KDE Neon itself, but present by default & working beautifully in Maui], then maybe Mint 18 KDE might be worthy of reconsideration for me [that pic is from my VM, not my real on-SSD OS, which remains Maui].

Mind you, Mint 18 KDE even with now the latest Plasma 5.8.2 [via the Neon repo] still suffers in comparison to Maui, in matters of detail. I already mentioned the lack of Root Actions, but there's also other annoyances & disappointments like Mint's System Settings missing the Driver Manager* [Maui has it], & refinements like in Maui my launcher for Yakuake pinned to the Task Manager bar launches the pgm just fine, whereas in Mint attempting the same only generates an error msg.

* Ah, no longer a valid complaint. It can be installed simply via Synaptic or in Konsole per sudo apt-get install kubuntu-driver-manager

Return to “KDE”