Can't adjust Plasma panels nor move desktop widgets

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aubreywan

Can't adjust Plasma panels nor move desktop widgets

Post by aubreywan »

Hey guys,
I'm relatively new to Mint, coming from decades of OpenSuSE. Installed KDE 18 last night & am starting to get my desktop as i like it. I'm having problems with the panels & widgets. I like the main panel centered at the top of my screen & another panel running TaskManager at the bottom. I am not able to select ANYTHING from the Panel Alignment menu. Also, any widgets I put on the desktop will not let me move to a different position. Here's my "inxi -Fxz", in case needed:

Code: Select all

avp@avp-desktop ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: avp-desktop Kernel: 4.4.0-36-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.6.5 (Qt 5.5.1) Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Machine:   Mobo: ASRock model: Z170 Pro4S Bios: American Megatrends v: P3.30 date: 04/13/2016
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-6700 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 27266
           clock speeds: max: 4000 MHz 1: 799 MHz 2: 799 MHz 3: 800 MHz 4: 799 MHz 5: 822 MHz 6: 799 MHz
           7: 799 MHz 8: 1396 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GK107 [GeForce GTX 650] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 1280x1024@60.02hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 650/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 361.42 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 NVIDIA GK107 HDMI Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
           Card-2 Intel Sunrise Point-H HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-36-generic
Network:   Card: Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k bus-ID: 00:1f.6
           IF: enp0s31f6 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 750.2GB (5.0% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_850 size: 250.1GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: Maxtor_7H500F0 size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 214G used: 20G (10%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 17.12GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 31.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:33C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 225 Uptime: 4:05 Memory: 1768.5/15992.7MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.421) inxi: 2.2.35                                                       

Any thoughts/ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Aubrey
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MMcD488
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Can't adjust Plasma panels nor move desktop widgets

Post by MMcD488 »

First, right-click and select "Desktop Settings." Go down to "Tweaks" and make sure the option "Press and hold widgets to move them and reveal their handles" is checked, then click "OK". Make sure the widgets are unlocked, by right-clicking on the desktop. If the menu contains the option "Lock Widgets" then they are already unlocked and you're good, if not, click "Unlock Widgets". Left-click on a widget and hold until a box pops up around it and an options tab pops up on the right side. Don't let go of the left mouse button and you should be able to drag it around. You'll have to repeat the click and hold portion if you want to move it again after you release the mouse button. As for the panel, with the panel options menu open, click and hold on "Screen Edge" and drag to the edge of the screen you want the panel to be on and the panel should automatically snap to that edge. The Panel Alignment menu affects where the panel is aligned only when resizing it to anything smaller than the whole length of the screen edge. You can adjust the size with the little slider tabs between the panel itself and the options menu. When Center is selected it will make the panel smaller from both the left and right (or top and bottom if you have a side panel) simultaneously when you drag one of the resize tabs. You drag the one with the arrow pointing outward in to make the panel smaller, drag the one with the arrow pointing inward out to make it larger again if I remember correctly.

I hope that helps.
New Linux enthusiast
Old Mint box - Dell XPS m140 running Mint 18.2 32-bit with XFCE and LXQt
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Can't adjust Plasma panels nor move desktop widgets

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
The question by cecilieaux, that was posted here, is now here.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”