Mint 18 KDE and Telegram (telepathy-morse package)

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Mint 18 KDE and Telegram (telepathy-morse package)

Post by jazz.h »

Running Mint18 KDE really great, congrats to Clem the Team.
KDE Connect running fine with my Nexus 5. :D
I noticed though that Online accounts wont add Telegram account, always saying:

Code: Select all

This IM Account cannot be created - a Telepathy Connection Manager named 'morse' is missing or it cannot handle protocol 'telegram'. Please try installing morse with your package manager.
but the telepathy-morse package is missing from the repo? Anyone?
Wonder
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint 18 KDE and Telegram (telepathy-morse package)

Post by Wonder »

In synaptic, search "morse" and install.
jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jazz.h »

Wonder wrote:In synaptic, search "morse" and install.
That was the first thing I did, no use.
Anyway, I reverted to Mate.
Wonder
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Wonder »

Yes, KDE Plasma in LM 18 need some fixes.
I think is very recently and need fixes some bugs...

The users of kubuntu and others, also have same and others bugs in plasma, some bugs are of LM, but others are for Plasma...

Regards.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "jazz.h"

I have been very impressed with Linux Mint KDE 18 and plasma 5. I still think it needs some work, and I do not like some of the changes (limited SDDM login display manager & virtual desktops), and some missing features & applications, or not yet upgraded applications to Linux Mint 18 (Ubuntu 16.04). I am still using Linux Mint KDE 17.3 which I absolutely love, while still testing Linux Mint KDE 18.

"Telegram" is a custom chat protocol. And, although you might not be able to get it to work with KDE's Telepathy chat client or the KDE Kopete chat client in Linux Mint 18 KDE, you can get it to work in Linux Mint 18 any edition including KDE, using the chat client Pidgin, or Telegram's own Linux client, or "Franz" multi-protocol chat application.

1.) Pidgin has numerous plugins, including for Telegram. I would logout and log back in, or restart after installing the plugins
https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/ThirdPartyPlugins

TIP: There are numerous plugins and add-ons for Pidgin in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), so do not forget to install those, including the OTR plugin, configure OTR in Pidgin's plugins option, for secure communications.

Pidgin Plugin for Telegram = "Telegram-Purple" Unofficial (Beta) - once installed this may also work with other chat applications. In my Linux Mint 17.3, KDE Telepathy could also use these "purple" plug-ins for Telegram, Facebook, Skype, etc... After installation, just go into Pidgin to add a new account and select Telegram.

First try the console terminal commands below. Try installing the Telegram Plugin first, if you get "dependencies" errors, install the dependencies using the command below, then retry installing the Telegram plugin.

Install Dependencies
sudo apt-get install libgcrypt20-dev libpurple-dev libwebp-dev gettext

sudo apt-get install libgcrypt20-dev libpurple-dev libwebp-dev gettext
Now install the Telegram plugin
sudo apt-get install telegram-purple

If the above command(s) do not work, you can use the instructions in the link below, or compile it using the instructions below that:

ADD TELEGRAM SUPPORT TO PIDGIN WITH TELEGRAM PURPLE (This works in my Linux Mint 17.3, and might in Linux Mint 18 too)
http://www.webupd8.org/2014/11/add-tele ... -with.html
To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo apt-get update

Telegram-Purple Unofficial (Beta) GitHub website for downloading, compiling, then installing.
https://github.com/majn/telegram-purple

2.) Installation of Telegram Messenger in Linux
http://www.tecmint.com/install-telegram-in-linux/

3.) "Franz" is a free messaging app (former Emperor of Austria) and combines chat & messaging services into one application. Franz currently supports Slack, WhatsApp, WeChat, HipChat, Facebook Messenger, Telegram, Google Hangouts, GroupMe, Skype and many more. You can download Franz for Mac, Windows & Linux.
http://meetfranz.com/#download_all

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jazz.h »

phd21 wrote: 2.) Installation of Telegram Messenger in Linux
3.) "Franz" is a free messaging app
Thanks, I already have Telegram app for Linux.
But Franz is a news to me. Is it safe to use? I noticed Viber and Signal are missing.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "jazz.h"

You are welcome.

I have never heard of or used "Franz" before last night, so I do not know the answer to your question. But, it sure looks interesting and worth a try, and maybe some more research on reviews, etc... It seems to be a front-end application that uses the various chat servers and their services, so if they are secure then "Franz" should be as well.

I do not have a Telegram account, but the "Telegram-Purple" plugin is supposed to work great according to all reviews I have read. I updated my last post to mention that in Linux Mint 17.3 KDE, after installing the "Telegram-purple" plugin and rebooting, I could add a Telegram account to the KDE Telepathy chat client and with Pidgin. I would also like to mention that the really nice Facebook (purple plugin) allowed for OTR secure communication through Pidgin with other Facebook users, when the very nice Facebook Desktop messenger application has no secure communications, nor do I think there is secure Facebook communication using their website through your browser. "Skype" is well known for not being secure either, so for Skype chat users, using Pidgin with the (skype plugin), or another secure chat application might provide that security when chatting as well (I have not verified this yet).

You mentioned installing the Telegram Messenger Desktop application, so what do you think of it? It is supposed to be secure.

Too me, when communicating with your friends, family, or businesses, it is extremely important to have reliable secure communications for text, audio, or video chat that can be used regardless of which computer operating system (OS) the people you communicate with use. "QTox (qTox)" is still my favorite "Skype Alternative" messaging application because of the excellent quality in the interface, text, audio, and video chat. "Jitsi" is another excellent secure multi-account messaging client, but they do not have the ability to use Facebook, or Telegram, or Skype accounts, yet. "Pidgin" is also excellent, but the video and audio on Linux Mint 17.3 or less was sub-par (not good enough) at least not on my ancient underpowered 32-bit computer hardware. I have not tried "Pidgin" in Linux Mint 18 for audio or video, text works great, and it might be much better for audio and video. I do like the Pidgin version in LM18. There are also "SIP (voip)" capable applications that provide excellent secure audio & video, like "Jitsi", "Linphone", Ekiga?, a new one called "Ring", etc... There are a lot of posts in this forum regarding secure messaging clients.

There is nothing wrong with having one or more chat messaging application running at the same time. I usually have "qTox" and a multi-account (multi-protocol) application like "Jitsi", "Pidgin", KDE Kopete or Telepathy, running.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jazz.h »

phd21 wrote:Hi "jazz.h"
You mentioned installing the Telegram Messenger Desktop application, so what do you think of it? It is supposed to be secure.
Hmmm, I'm not so sure. It's more secured than Viber, but less then Signal. I like it because you can send to yourself anything from PC to mobile and vice versa.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "jazz.h", & Anyone Else Interested in Telegram,

I do not know how you installed the Telegram desktop application, but here is a PPA to install it, and keep it current.

I have not used the Telegram application, so I do not know if it can do real time audio and video calls as well as text, like these "Skype Like" secure applications can: "QTox", Jitsi, Ring, Linphone, Ekiga, Kopete, Pidgin has secure text using OTR and other encryption, but I have not had much luck with the audio or video with it.
Telegram is a messaging app which was secured highly with speed of transaction compare to other messaging apps. Its completely free. You can use Telegram on all your devices at the same time, your messages sync seamlessly across any of your phones, tablets or computers. With Telegram, you can send messages, photos, videos and files of any type (doc, zip, mp3, etc) to people who are in your phone contacts and have Telegram. You can also create groups for up to 200 people or send broadcasts to up to 100 contacts.
How to install telegram Ubuntu/LinuxMint using PPA
http://www.2daygeek.com/install-telegra ... -opensuse/
To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:atareao/telegram
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install telegram

Hope this helps ...

Return to “KDE”