Modify default panel in KDE Mint 18

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
gigglehurtz
Level 1
Level 1

Modify default panel in KDE Mint 18

Post by gigglehurtz »

Is there a way to modify the default panel (as in add new panel to the current display and pick default)?

As background, I've got two monitors and use the display on the right as the primary. I've read that this can be a problem in the latest KDE Mint. The plasma desktop really wants me to use the display on the left as my primary and will only consistently load the panel with my mods on that display on boot up. I regularly have to add a panel to the right hand display and then go through configuring it the way I want. If I could modify the default panel this would save me a lot of trouble until KDE fixes the problem (or I come across the solution).
BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Modify default panel in KDE Mint 18

Post by BubbaBlues »

Right click a blank spot on the panel, choose "panel options" then "Add Panel".
(Make sure to unlock widgets first.
"I sometimes wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by embeciles who really mean it."
Mark Twain
rth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rth »

I have the same problem. Deleting and/or creating new panel didn't help in my case. Had to switch on Cinnamon sadly. Really want KDE back.
gigglehurtz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gigglehurtz »

@rth, if I add and configure a panel on both displays, there's a better chance it will stay on the display I use mostly.

I just read over on kde.org that plasma version 5.8 (now in beta) includes bug fixes for multi-display support. So hopefully it will soon make it into Mint - and will actually fix the problem.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

I have stopped modifying defaults, except the wallpaper, which most of us do anyways. Clearly, KDE/Plasma devs (from source to Mint) have their own vision where they want their users to go. I might as well join them and start getting familiar or used to this flat breeze theme with wide panel, huge icons, huge enough to fit your finger for touch screens (obviously), etc.

So far the only problem I've been having with Mint 18 KDE is this text pixelation thing on the desktop. I can't find any solution for it

Return to “KDE”