Mint KDE 18, installation issues

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
alquimista
Level 4
Level 4

Mint KDE 18, installation issues

Post by alquimista »

I have a desktop PC already running Mint 18 and 17.3, both Cinnamon. I had a reserved space to install Mint KDE 18.

Once booting from the DVD, I had problems configuring wireless; I entered the password , and then came out another window, asking for the same password. After several trials, seemed to connect to Internet.

Then, ran the Installation; when got to a "Preparation" stage, and then it just hanged out; had to close the installation process, and have it re-started. This second time, it continued fine; I selected manually the partition where KDE would be installed; took some time, and almost at the end, I got a Window indicating GRUB could not be installed... Then, a crash notification of the whole installing process. After that, the screen was locked and a message showing: "screen locker is broken and unlocking is not possible; switch to virtual terminal, log in and execute command.... ". The funny thing is that there is no indication what login name and password to use. Had to reset the PC, and go back to Cinnamon.

I checked the forum on MINT KDE and on a light search, could not find issues like these... I'd appreciate your help
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Mint KDE 18, installation issues

Post by deepakdeshp »

Please check your installation media. m.youtube.com/watch?v=1TcU8P0tfdo
Also you have option to check media during installation time when you boot from the media in the first screen.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 / 8GB
Mint 20 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U
alquimista
Level 4
Level 4

Post by alquimista »

In the blog entry, it says:
As far as we know, the only compromised edition was Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon edition.

If you downloaded another release or another edition, this does not affect you. If you downloaded via torrents or via a direct HTTP link, this doesn’t affect you either.
I downloaded the image last weekend, and no, it was not 17.3. It was KDE Mint 18

Could there be still trouble, even with 18?
alquimista
Level 4
Level 4

Post by alquimista »

Did the checksum verification

ISO was Ok

Installed again....

During installation, Plasma crashed ... Only the installation process window kept alive... After setting up language packages... the whole install process crashed indicating grub could not be installed...

:(
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

Are the other versions of Mint working properly on this machine? Are they on the same disk ? I am sure there must be enough space to install Mint where you are installing the system now.

You can check for bad blocks on the partition with

Code: Select all

sudo badblocks -v /dev/sdax
x is the partition no. where you arw trying the Mint install.
If that doesnt work , I dont have any more ideas.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 / 8GB
Mint 20 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U
alquimista
Level 4
Level 4

Post by alquimista »

Mint 17.3 runs fine, installed on a "normal" HD, and Mint Cinnamon 18 runs Ok on a Solid State Disk; the partition for KDE was intended to be contiguous to Cinnamon, on the same SSD. During the installation process, files seemed to be copied well on the SSD with no problem... The issue comes when trying to write/install GRUB... As I recall the message says something like "Could not install/write GRUB .... on intended destination /temp/"
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

I'm not sure if this is the same issue I encountered when I was installing mine. And I covered the solution here:

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=228446&p=1210193#p1210193
alquimista
Level 4
Level 4

Post by alquimista »

thom_A wrote:I'm not sure if this is the same issue I encountered when I was installing mine. And I covered the solution here:

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=228446&p=1210193#p1210193
Thank you Tom A; it solved the issue on the screen lock, yet I still have problems with the remaining installation. What I did, was:

1) Once the installation was stopped, I restarted using Mint 18 Cinnamon
2) From there, I executed "sudo update-grub"
3) The entry for Mint 18 KDE was created
4) I boot it, and well, was there.... yet there were still options to install the OS from the CD; those entries seems were not deleted as per the installation process was not completed.
5) When updating software, in all scenarios, I got the error again, that "Could not install/write GRUB .... ". So, no software updates are being completed

I gave up at this point. I have been using Mint for 5 years now, yet its the first time I face a full install failure.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Can you give us an overview of your disks and partitions?
Open a terminal and type: lsblk
Select the output by mouse, copy it by right-clicking the text and select copy, then paste it here.
On which partition did you try to install Mint 18?
Where did you plan to setup GRUB?
alquimista
Level 4
Level 4

Post by alquimista »

Code: Select all

guillermo@guillermo-Renew ~ $  lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 111.8G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    0  55.9G  0 part /
├─sda2   8:2    0     1K  0 part 
├─sda5   8:5    0  52.2G  0 part 
└─sda6   8:6    0   3.8G  0 part [SWAP]
sdb      8:16   0 149.1G  0 disk 
├─sdb1   8:17   0  47.5G  0 part 
├─sdb3   8:19   0     1K  0 part 
├─sdb5   8:21   0  49.7G  0 part /media/Aplicaciones
├─sdb6   8:22   0   4.2G  0 part [SWAP]
└─sdb7   8:23   0  47.7G  0 part 
sdc      8:32   0 298.1G  0 disk 
└─sdc1   8:33   0 298.1G  0 part /media/guillermo/61fd5c92-340f-421c-8c5f-92d910
sdd      8:48   0 298.1G  0 disk 
└─sdd1   8:49   0 298.1G  0 part /media/guillermo/Hitachi Bkp1
sr0     11:0    1  1024M  0 rom  
sda its a SSD;
- There I have my base Mint 18 Cinammon (sda1)
- sda5 is where the failed installation of Mint 18 KDE is now

sdb its a HD
- sdb1 has Mint 17.3 Cinammon

- Rest is data
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Thank you Tom A; it solved the issue on the screen lock, yet I still have problems with the remaining installation. What I did, was:

1) Once the installation was stopped, I restarted using Mint 18 Cinnamon
2) From there, I executed "sudo update-grub"
3) The entry for Mint 18 KDE was created
4) I boot it, and well, was there.... yet there were still options to install the OS from the CD; those entries seems were not deleted as per the installation process was not completed.
5) When updating software, in all scenarios, I got the error again, that "Could not install/write GRUB .... ". So, no software updates are being completed

I gave up at this point. I have been using Mint for 5 years now, yet its the first time I face a full install failure.
One stupid question comes to mind. You write you saw the options to install the OS from CD again. Question: did you perhaps boot from the CD again instead of your hard disk? Is your BIOS set to boot from harddisk? I know it's a long shot but I need to ask.
alquimista
Level 4
Level 4

Post by alquimista »

Question: did you perhaps boot from the CD again instead of your hard disk? Is your BIOS set to boot from harddisk? I know it's a long shot but I need to ask.
Yes :) , boot is from the SDD now, and yes, the Install CD option remained; as I I assume it is, because installation process ended before normal completion

Return to “KDE”