Linux Mint 18 KDE external screen

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hopesfall

Linux Mint 18 KDE external screen

Post by hopesfall »

Hello,

I'm having some pretty terrible issues when i connect an external screen with my laptop.

Laptop specs:

Asus Zenbook UX303UB 13.3" (1920x1080),
CPU: i7-6500U, 2.5GHz,
RAM: 8GB DDR3,
STORAGE: 256GB SSD,
GPU: 940M 2 GB

When i connect the monitor sometimes the taskbar is not on the primary monitor set, also sometimes when i unplug the monitor KDE freezes up (Caps and ctrl+alt+f1 still work though) and all i can do is restart or reconnect the external monitor.

If i shutdown the laptop and unplug the monitor, on next boot the login screen works fine but when the kde splash screen gets to about 75% it appears to crash as there is a black screen with a cursor on the edge of the screen (where the 2 screens would meet if the external one is connected) and i can only move it up or down, at this point i can't access anything and the only thing that helps is connecting the external monitor and the laptop screen is unusable. this has happened a few times now and today i wasn't able to fix this, i'm writing this post from Cinnamon desktop which i installed just to be able to use the laptop.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TopEnder
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint 18 KDE external screen

Post by TopEnder »

hopefall, Sorry to hear you have problems with KDE18, maybe things will get better as time goes on with an update to KDE18.x or KDE19. KDE18 is not a patch on KDE17.3, it's not stable and does not have the functionality of KDE17.3 I had the same problem with KDE18, as you did and reinstalled KDE17.3. Maybe the the Mint Team and Clem should spend more time in the development stage before issueing the final release.
Last edited by TopEnder on Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
hopesfall

Post by hopesfall »

So you're saying i should revert back to Mint 17.3? you had the same problems?

You're saying KDE 18 but i assume you mean Mint 18.
TopEnder
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TopEnder »

You mentioned KDE in your original post if this is correct I would revert back to Linux Mint 17 KDE but it's your choice. If interested you could view my post "TopEnder" on Linux Mint 18 KDE and see what the Moderators say see "Cosmo" post.
Last edited by TopEnder on Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
hopesfall

Post by hopesfall »

But i am already on Linux Mint 18 KDE, my KDE version is 5.6.5.

i'm not sure you understand the difference between a desktop manager and a distro :?

Return to “Software & Applications”