Going Back to Linux Mint 17.3 KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zparihar

Going Back to Linux Mint 17.3 KDE

Post by zparihar »

I've been using Linux Mint since version 7 with the KDE Desktop.

Historically, Linux Mint KDE has been a phenomenal desktop distribution. Unfortunately Linux Mint 18 KDE is a different story. KDE 5.6.5 and the rest of the combination of supporting packages with Linux Mint 18 (its a big part to do with Kubuntu), does not allow for a stable desktop. I've been looking forward to KDE 5 for years now... but it seems like i'm going to have to switch back to Linux Mint KDE 17.3 for probably another year now.... I really want to stay within the Ubuntu ecosystem. Perhaps Linux Mint should base itself from Neon?

I've been living with the bugs the past few months, but the other day I had a very important meeting on Google Hangouts, and the desktop just died on me. That was the straw that broke the camels back. Linux Mint KDE 17.3 with KDE 4.14.2 never did that to me.

In the future, I might experiment with NEON or a NEON-based system; perhaps the newer version of KDE are more stable, but I can't have my system crashing on me anymore. I used to get regular uptimes of 90 days, now it won't make it past 5... I've read all the release notes... but its got no solution for this and I just don't have the same time to debug it anymore... I guess i'm getting old...I'm 35, lol! When I was 20, I loved going through all logs and the dumps after a crash and then submitting reports... but I'm running a business now.

Clem, if you're listening, I don't know what to suggest to you because I know you got a lot on your plate with all the Distros, but hopefully you can figure out a solution; I've been so grateful to Mint for many years and would love to continue to support you. 17.3 seems the best route for now. Hopefully LM KDE can make a come back, but right now its got to go.

I'll be back one day!

Zubin
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DeMus

Re: Going Back to Linux Mint 17.3 KDE

Post by DeMus »

Why you like the Ubuntu based systems? It's what turned me away from Mint. I now use SolydK based on Debian stable (and on a second partition SolydK-EE based on Debian testing). The latter has Plasma 5.8.2 now and that version looks great. KDE also says 5.8.2 is the first real one for the general public. In other words, everything older than 5.8.2 is not ready yet. I believe Mint, as does Kubuntu, use 5.6.5. There you can expect crashes.
Well, also the latest is not free of bugs yet but it's an amazing step forward to where they want to go.

If 17.3 has always worked for you then you should stay there, it is supported till 2019. At that time KDE should have solved the last problems they have with Plasma 5. :D
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "zparihar",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Linux Mint KDE 18 has only been out of beta for little while now, upgrading a primary machine, especially one that is critical for business, might not have been a great idea. Although any Internet messaging application like Hangouts, could stop for a number of reasons not related to the desktop or operating system.

I have Linux Mint 17.3 KDE on my primary machine and I love it, it is very stable. I have installed Linux Mint 18 along side it as well in another partition, so that I can test it with everything I had in Linux Mint 17.x. After months, My LM 18 is still around 96% of what LM 17.3 had, and I'm still working out some buggy stuff (not much) and wanting some missing applications and features of Plasma 4 like "Knemo", and custom virtual desktops (custom workspaces) with their own wallpaper and widgets (icons) which they incredibly and unbelievably removed ???; did not include in the new version of Plasma. You can use "KDE Activities" to get similar functions, but that is still not as convenient as before.

You can install a newer KDE Plasma by installing the Kubuntu backport PPA, but even with that, it is not the newer more stable Plasma DeMus was referring to. Mine shows Plasma 5.6.5 now with that PPA, and it seems pretty stable. But, I will not remove my LM KDE 17.3 yet.

Good luck ...
Last edited by phd21 on Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Cobber

Post by Cobber »

zparihar wrote: Historically, Linux Mint KDE has been a phenomenal desktop distribution. KDE 5.6.5 and the rest of the combination of supporting packages with Linux Mint 18 does not allow for a stable desktop. In the future, I might experiment with NEON.....
Mint KDE 17.3 has been a great version, and is still my main OS. It is stable, reliable and can handle everything I've thrown at it.

I also have Neon installed on another partition to play with. The 5.7.x versions were buggy, but since 5.8.3, I have not had any problems. Plasma 5 does take a bit of getting used to, as it is a totally different animal to Plasma 4. The KDE team are doing a great job with Neon, and I hope they continue to do so. But for now, I still prefer my Mint workhorse.

I have not tried Mint 18 KDE, but may use it to replace 17.3 one day, once it too uses at least plasma 5.8.3.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

17.1 Here too! love it and will not change until they pry it from my grimy chocolate covered fingers.
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
braingateway

Post by braingateway »

I've warned you guys not to use KDE5 till it matures, giving it 2-3 years.
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

Went back to 17.3 myself, waiting on the 18.1 release, hopefully the plasma is improved in that release?
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB

Return to “Software & Applications”