Mint KDE 6 login problem

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Mint KDE 6 login problem

Post by remoulder » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:36 pm

After recently applying some recent updates, I'm now having a problem where I cannot login to my user account through the gui login screen. When I hit enter after putting in my password, the screen goes black briefly, then goes back to the login screen. If I log in through the console and startx, then KDE starts and runs OK though without sound. This is a multi-boot computer and I have Mint 6 gnome and Fedora 10 on separate partitions, all three distro's sharing a separate home partition using the same user account so I know there isn't a problem with file permission on there. I tried enabling root login within KDE but that doesn't work either. There doesn't seem to be much about this on Google, anyone got any ideas? Thanks Mike
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Woodstock69
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint KDE 6 login problem

Post by Woodstock69 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:05 am

I have the same problem.

After installing the latest updates (somewhere between 16/03/09 to 20/03/09) and also installing LXDE, I cannot login to my system.

The console reports a $DISPLAY not configured error, and I don't know enough to solve it. If I login via the console and STARTX, my LXDE session comes up, but I want my KDE session instead. I've removed LXDE with Apt, but it still insists on starting my LXDE session.

Installing the LXDE files also removed my KNetwork files so I only have access to the Net via another computer. Would be nice to resolve this one without resorting to a re-install.
Do not wait, the time will never be "just right".
Start where you stand, and work with what-ever tools
you may have at your command, and better tools will
be found as you go along. -- Napoleon Hill

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:54 am

For anyone interested, I have solved this by installing gdm and completely un-installing kdm. This allowed me to login again though looked a bit strange getting a gnome login screen after the KDE splash. Once logged in again, I re-installed kdm and made sure it worked again, then un-installed gdm. Hopefully it will stay this way.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Woodstock69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Woodstock69 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:14 pm

Mikeyb,

That's one way I guess. Didn't think of doing it that way. I simply reinstalled it, but I'll remember your solution the next time (hope not) it happens.

Now if I could just move my panel widgets .......
Do not wait, the time will never be "just right".
Start where you stand, and work with what-ever tools
you may have at your command, and better tools will
be found as you go along. -- Napoleon Hill

Return to “KDE”