Updating to Plasma 5.9.4

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Vapingcisco

Updating to Plasma 5.9.4

Post by Vapingcisco »

I'm new to Linuxmint KDE but I would like to update to Plasma 5.9.4 I feel that I'm missing something without doing it. Can someone help to get it done please Noobs needs help. Thanks for any help. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cobber

Re: Updating to Plasma 5.9.4

Post by Cobber »

5.9.4 doesn't give you anything you don't already have, apart from some cosmetic changes. No doubt there will be an upgrade when 18.2 comes out.

I run Neon on another computer and I don't see any compelling features that Mint doesn't already have. If you want the bleeding edge of features, then maybe you could try Neon in a live session and see what extras you think it offers.
Vapingcisco

Post by Vapingcisco »

Thanks, Cobber that is a great thought, I do like using USB to try out new OS.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Vapingcisco wrote:... I feel that I'm missing something without doing it. ...
Mostly what you'll be missing by not installing a newer version of your DE than what was installed is major OS system breakage, usually best fixed by a clean reinstall.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

You can read what's new in the KDE Announcemens.
Cobber has it right, wait, because the Linux Mint dev will make sure you have a stable environment.
I'd be more excited about KDE 5 bug fixes than new features at this moment in time :-)
o-l-d

Post by o-l-d »

KDE Neon LTS User Edition currently has Plasma 5.8.6. You only find Plasma 5.9 in the User Edition(semi-stable) and Developers versions. KDE hasn't released an LTS version of 5.9 and that might not happen for a long time. Linux Mint KDE has never been a "bleeding edge" KDE distro and I feel that is quite commendable since Mint's goal is to provide a distro that "just works" and is based on the most stable software and kernel available.
acheronuk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by acheronuk »

lmuserx4849 wrote:I'd be more excited about KDE 5 bug fixes than new features at this moment in time :-)
I will be making sure that kubuntu backports (which is mint 18 packages) is updated soon I hope.

Apologies that the plasma 5.8.6 bugfix update is late arriving in backports, but we have been getting our Zesty 17.04 release ready.
Kubuntu Developer
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

You can also try Kubuntu 17.04 to see 5.9 > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ZestyZapus/ReleaseNotes/Kubuntu :mrgreen:
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Vapingcisco wrote:... I feel that I'm missing something without doing it. ...
What you'd be missing is new bugs (and KDE 5 is buggy enough, thank you), a broken system that a noob has little hope of fixing, and having to back up your data and reinstall Mint again.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Vapingcisco",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

I would not try to force your system to upgrade Plasma 5.8.x to 5.9.x until it becomes available through the update manager which already includes the Kubuntu backports PPA, which it will. I find the current plasma 5.8.x to be very stable.

I just read that there are some new improvements to a lot of KDE applications which I am very much looking forward to.

KDE Ships KDE Applications 17.04.0
https://www.kde.org/announcements/annou ... 7.04.0.php

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Software & Applications”