ibus on KDE login - IME Input Method Editor

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
iateadonut
Level 1
Level 1

ibus on KDE login - IME Input Method Editor

Post by iateadonut » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:57 pm

I am working to get ibus working on KDE Plasma on Linux Mint 18.1.

I've installed these packages:
ibus-qt4 ibus-gtk ibus-gtk3 ibus-qt4 python-appindicator ibus-anthy

$ plasmashell -v
plasmashell 5.8.5

systemsettings5 is the program that runs when I click 'system settings'.

1) I do not see any way I can configure ibus to start on startup as the IME. How can I do that?

2) I can type on many programs with ibus if I start it manually. How can I have it work for all programs. (It doesn't work on Konsole.)

SilverBear
Level 1
Level 1

Re: ibus on KDE login - IME Input Method Editor

Post by SilverBear » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:47 pm

I don't use ibus, but from the sound of things, this page might help:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IBus

Look down in the Troubleshooting section to the Plasma 5 subsection.
Let us know if this addresses the issue, please. Good luck!

braingateway
Level 3
Level 3

Re: ibus on KDE login - IME Input Method Editor

Post by braingateway » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:58 pm

simple answer:
please avoid KDE + ibus in this case. They just do not want to work together. They have very long conflict history. There is always something broken when you try to use ibus in KDE. Please use FCITX, which works nicely in KDE and that is why this project is still active for so long time.

long answer:
Even worse in KDE5, gtk3 and gtk2 does not play together and Qt5 does not have config tools. You either make gtk3 apps working to let most KDE5 and gtk2 apps broken, or just avoid gtk2 apps. GTK3 and Qt5 also have compatibility issues. More annoying thing is using KDE apps in gnome3 and unity start to show strange compatibility issues according to recent online bug reports. Those conflicts between dev teams seem getting bigger and bigger. I think in the future we might have to make a decision: to use KDE5 and forget almost all other non-KDE apps or to avoid KDE5 and forget about its apps. As SilverBear mentioned, you can check https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IBus to find out more.

I love most of the KDE apps, I definitely do not want to see this day coming. But I start to have my new laptop installing cinnamon last year. I've been using it since. Although it seems OK, but I still miss all my KDE apps. Dolphin is definitely far better than nemo or nautilus, kate is far far better than gedit and xed, systemsettings is far far far better than tons of compizconfig/tweak tools ... Nautilus with unity is a disaster you have to hit alt then type `hide` then select the `show hidden files` or search through the menu. I do not know why they cannot just use toolbar, I just need toggle it with one mouse click, and they call unity "advanced GUI invention"... In nautilus you cannot just create files you want, you have to setup your own template files, what the hell?! Doesn't dolphin have auto-generated, super rich "create new..." functions more than 10 years ago? Those advanced guys just do not know this? Can we just first fix those basic functions before playing new features? We just have to admit at some point for some products/projects forcing the novelty is just ditching sanity. You cannot try to use square wheels just because we have used round wheels for thousands years, it stays that way for a very good reason, it is the most effective shape. Someone need to stop those crazy people destroy great projects.

Return to “KDE”