Mint 18.1 KDE, Breeze Dark theme: unreadable text on some apps

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
David_jcd

Mint 18.1 KDE, Breeze Dark theme: unreadable text on some apps

Post by David_jcd »

Hi,
I have a Linux Mint 18.1 system with KDE and the standard theme Breeze Dark. With some applications, for instance Foxit PDF Reader I have unreadable text, i.e. white text on light grey background (see attached pic). With the Breeze theme, instead, everything is fine (but I really like breeze dark and I wish I could use it).
I made a google search, and somebody suggests that checking System settings>Colors>Apply colors to non Qt applications (or whatever it is in english :P ) would solve the problem, but it didn't.
Is there a solution or a workaround for this?
Thanks a lot.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SilverBear

Re: Mint 18.1 KDE, Breeze Dark theme: unreadable text on some apps

Post by SilverBear »

Hi, David.
I don't want to install a 3rd party program that I don't want just to test this out. Can you give me a prog that is acting poorly in the standard Linux Mint install (or at least in the repos) so I can help you out by testing on my own installation?
David_jcd

Post by David_jcd »

Hi SilverBear, sorry for the late reply. Foxit is the application with the worst behaviour, but if I go into Settings>application style>windows decorations, I see something like this (attached pic). There is some thexe below the icons, but again it's light grey on white background.
In the second picture, the toolbar of Libre office, with the default breeze Icons: grey on dark grey (but I don't know if it's the same problem).

Thank you for your help!
Screenshot_20170425_181041.png
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "David_jcd",

There are so many options for customizing your KDE desktop.

In System Settings, Workspace Theme, Look and Feel, are you using the Breeze Dark theme, do you also have the box checked at the bottom for use desktop layout from theme? If so, try unchecking it, or checking it, to see if that makes a difference.

In the same section, under Desktop Theme, are you using the Breeze Dark theme?

Under System Settings, Color, you can choose different color schemes and or download new ones as well, then edit them to your liking using the edit button in the lower right. If you edit a color scheme, you will probably be asked to save it, give it a name, click that name, click apply to see it. In that editing color scheme are various options, like "color set" and a list box with various options, like "common colors", "buttons," etc... I like to have my active Window Title bar in red, and my inactive titlebar in Blue to easily and visually identify my current active window vs inactive window. Then I usually change my font to bold for Window Titles as well.

Under System Settings, Application Style, Windows Decorations, there are many choices here as well, including downloading new ones, some work with your color schemes, others have their own, but you can see the effects.

Hope this helps ...
KDE_ColorSchemes2.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
David_jcd

Post by David_jcd »

hello phd21, thank you for the reply.
I played with the color settings. It seems that Foxit uses the color you choose for the button text but not for the layout background and for the button background: these two are white and are not influenced by the settings of the color scheme.
I suppose it's a bug of Foxit: so annoying...
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "David_jcd",

I don't really like the "dark" themes, so I have not really experimented with them much.

But, I spent a couple more hours experimenting with KDE 18.1's various Dark themes, color schemes, etc... I also downloaded Foxit PDF reader (took a long time) to try and recreate your situation. I prefer these PDF readers: Okular, Master PDF editor, Evince...

I found that some Desktop Themes wash out on my system like yours did with Foxit PDF, only on mine it was washed out (unreadable) menus, mouse over pop-ups, tool tips, etc...

But, there are a lot of really nice Desktop themes you can easily download in the system settings that do work, including dark themes. Some themes react differently to various color schemes that you might choose as well, so you might have to experiment. Some themes actually tell you in their descriptions that they work with other color schemes.

Bad: Breeze Dark, Breeze Transparent Dark, etc...

Good: Breeze Dark Classic, DarkBreeze, Elegance, Kelementary, etc...

One I found that I like is called BlueTintGlass with semi-transparent blue for menus, pop-up info messages, etc... and still allows some of my other color changes to Window Title Bars, etc...

You should be able to locate and download a dark theme, or any other kind of theme, that works with everything without being washed out or unreadable. Then, you can customize them as well using colors, fonts, Applications Styles (Widget styles, Window Decorations) etc...I downloaded around twenty different Desktop Themes to see what they are like, and it is pretty awesome what is available.

FYI: In Applications Styles, Widget styles, if you choose QTCurve, you can really customize your desktop, like colored and varied scrollbars. Various Window Decorations (buttons for: min, max, X) some of these do allow custom color schemes and some do not, "Breeze" does.

Let us know what you find.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
David_jcd

Post by David_jcd »

hi phd21,
again, thank you so much for your help!
I tried playing with some color themes and modifying them. I think that ultimately, the problem is that if I want to see text on Foxit's buttons, I have to choose a dark color (because the background of foxit's buttons is white, no way to change it). But if I have a dark color for text on the buttons, I need a light color for the button background and dark themes (whick I like) have dark buttons :P . I also tried downloading some other color themes, bot none worked well. As soon as I have some time I'll give a try to the ones you suggested: thanks!
Yesterday I found a functionality which seemed the (almost) perfect solution for my problem: editing windows specific settings (https://userbase.kde.org/KWin_Rules_Win ... w_Matching) and telling Plasma (or whoever it is, I admit I'm not confident with desktop environments at all) to use standard breeze only for Foxit. Needless to say, it did not work and I don't understand why.
I'll let you know if I make any step further.
David_jcd

Post by David_jcd »

phd21 wrote: I prefer these PDF readers: Okular, Master PDF editor, Evince...
I don't know Master and Evince, but Foxit is so much better than any other PDF reader I've used so far. It allows me to add text, callouts, comments, to underline/highlight/strikeout text, draw lines...
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "David_jcd",

You are welcome.

It would help to know more about your system setup, like to make sure you do not have a video driver issue. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

I have nothing against Foxit Reader, it has been around a long time. I had no problem reading PDF files using Foxit reader on my system either. But, all Linux Mint systems come with a very good PDF reader. Okular and or Evince (Document Viewer) already come with KDE, and if they are not already installed, then install them through the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM). Master PDF editor is superb and is the only Linux PDF app that can read certain specialized PDF formats.

Master PDF editor - click the 32-bit or 64-bit, then click the ".deb" file to download and install. Double click it to install it.
https://code-industry.net/free-pdf-editor/

If your monitor screen and video graphics card have a brightness issue, then there is a KDE widget that you can add called "xrendrmixer", search for this or "bright" in add new widgets to download and install it.

Hope this helps ...
David_jcd

Post by David_jcd »

Hi!
I'm starting to think it's a bug of Foxit. This is the output of "inxi -Fxzd"

Code: Select all

System:    Host: david-HP-Pavilion-dv6-Notebook-PC Kernel: 4.4.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.5 (Qt 5.6.1)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard (portable) product: HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC v: 0790100000205710000620100
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 181B v: 52.24
           Bios: Insyde v: F.29 date: 10/03/2013
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-3610QM (-HT-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 18359
           clock speeds: max: 3300 MHz 1: 1271 MHz 2: 1858 MHz 3: 1782 MHz
           4: 1380 MHz 5: 1489 MHz 6: 1406 MHz 7: 1326 MHz 8: 2953 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA GF108M [GeForce GT 630M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@59.99hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-53-generic
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: wl bus-ID: 0a:00.0
           IF: wlo1 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 0b:00.0
           IF: eno1 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 750.2GB (60.4% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MK7575GS size: 750.2GB
           Optical: /dev/sr0 model: hp CDDVDW SN-208BB
           rev: HH01 dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw
           Features: speed: 24x multisession: yes
           audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running
Partition: ID-1: / size: 201G used: 23G (12%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 16.38GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 42.0C mobo: 42.0C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 245 Uptime: 6 min Memory: 1119.3/7878.7MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.461) inxi: 2.2.35 
I installed Master PDF editor: it looks really nice! I think it's a good candidate as an alternative for Foxit reader. Too bad the signature function is available only in the paid version, but neither the linux version of Foxit can do that. It seems that it has all other functions that I need.

Sorry for the late reply and thanks again.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "David_jcd",

You are welcome.

It could be a bug in Foxit, or it could be that it just does not like certain dark themes and color schemes. Not all applications will inherit or work well with all possible desktop themes and color schemes.

Master PDF editor is excellent, and worth paying for if you need any of the features that paid for version offers.

Tip: The superb KDE Dolphin file manager can "preview" various file types including PDF, if you install the "kdegraphics-thubmnailers" package in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)".

Also from the results of the "inxi -Fxzd", you have a dual video card system (Intel and Nvidia), and your system is using the Intel card versus the Nvidia which might work much better for you. I recommend installing the correct Nvidia drivers for your card, and the dual video card control panel application.

See recent post below on how to install the correct driver (yours is Nvidia 375.39 like in this post)
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=244712

You might also consider installing these from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)":
example:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-prime prime-indicator prime-indicator-plus

Have a great day and night.
JackDinn

Post by JackDinn »

I use the dark theme too and i also see these unreadable text areas quite a lot. I tend to just ignore them as i spent ages enough getting all the gui's to match up properly so having an unreadable dropdown (its usually drop downs) is not a major problem. Anyhow here is one i just spotted.

However my drop-down menus are normally perfectly themed with the dark theme im using, these "odd white" ones are quite rare but reproducible.

You asked for a non-third party app/program well this is something that should be testable by everyone.

EDIT:- Found another

Code: Select all

System:    Host: greg-Inspiron-5767 Kernel: 4.4.0-75-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.5
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Machine:   System: Dell (portable) product: Inspiron 5767
           Mobo: Dell model: 03XWWJ v: A00 Bios: Dell v: 1.0.0 date: 07/14/2016
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-7200U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 3100 MHz 1: 500 MHz 2: 597 MHz 3: 499 MHz 4: 1729 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Device 5916
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.02hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Kabylake GT2 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0
Audio:     Card Intel Device 9d71 driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA v: k4.4.0-75-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Wireless 3165 driver: iwlwifi
           IF: wlp1s0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
           IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (12.1% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MQ01ABD1 size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 909G used: 105G (13%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-1
           ID-2: /boot size: 472M used: 216M (49%) fs: ext2 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 8.40GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-2
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 31.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 221 Uptime: 40 min Memory: 1395.9/7804.2MB Client: Shell (zsh) inxi: 2.2.35 

Return to “Software & Applications”